No announcement yet.

New Studebaker Drivers Club Logo on Decals, Pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my point is, if these stickers are supposed to be a marketing tool, why not update them to reach out to the majority of people? Again, we can include an address, and we should to maximize outreach, but from a marketing standpoint, this thing is invaluable for a lot of reasons. Plus, it's dynamic. Because the code points to a webpage, if something changes such as a phone number or P.O. Box number, you simply change it on the web page, and that sticker is still accurate. When you scan it, the page pops up with any recent changes.

And when the address is replaced with a postage stamp with a barcode on it? What, nuts to the guys who don't want to scan it, or don't have a smartphone? That's a whole lot of people who are going to miss out. To me, replacing a simple address with a QR code makes as much sense as replacing a license plate with a QR code. Yeah I remember when I could recall a string of numbers in my head from reading a plate, but the other guy hit me and drove off, and they had a plate with a funny blob on it, and I didn't think to pull the smartphone out and scan it. On my Commander, it shows the address underneath, which tells me that SDC has an address based in South Bend, easy enough. When I see that replaced with a QR code, I don't see a longstanding club with a physical location, I see an E-business.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
      And when the address is replaced with a postage stamp with a barcode on it? What, nuts to the guys who don't want to scan it, or don't have a smartphone? That's a whole lot of people who are going to miss out. To me, replacing a simple address with a QR code makes as much sense as replacing a license plate with a QR code.
      I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.

I'm going to admit that in my first couple posts in this thread (and the other one which was so graciously merged in here) I was ambiguous, but I thought I made my view of completely removing the address altogether perfectly clear in several of the subsequent posts. For example:

Originally posted by JimC View Post
      ...so actually writing out a web address is a good idea...
      I'm not saying not to include something in English
      ...Again, we can include an address, and we should to maximize outreach...
      In case none of those were clear, let me once and for all clear the air. I am not suggesting removing all "English" communication. I am suggesting adding a new form of communication to that, one that the majority of Americans use. Not a removal. An addition. If you've got a decent printer, QR codes can be so tiny that they're not going to stick out like a sore thumb, and you might not notice it on the decal unless you're looking for it. (Well, you'd probably notice it, but it's not going to be as massive as the graphic I posted, by a long shot!)

Again, my humble apologies if I'm confusing anyone. But am I making sense now?
      Last edited by JimC; 03-19-2013, 05:42 PM. Reason: Found my missing "n"
      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Now we have something! If you wanna include a QR code on the decal next to the Wheel and the physical address, that works, it makes the decal very interactive! In that regard, by all means, go for it!!
        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

while i agree with a small QR code, a dot com addie and a toll-free phone number on a decal placed on the interior glass of our Studebakers - i would like to have a "load" of the pamphlets shown below to hand out to folks at multi-make car shows that show interest in our beloved make! i think most people would pull it out of their pocket or purse and read it later at home.

would it be against the rules/regulations of the SDC to make copies? i only have the 2 on my 'cave wall, but would be happy to spend a few bucks to make copies for the first car show this weekend, if allowed.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker Pamphlets.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1679471
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Hmm, too bad you posted this, nobody would ever have known. Now the World does!

Probably not "officially" allowed, but on your dime and given out for free how is that wrong?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 50starlite View Post
              Wow, a bar code for SDC!! How unique! (satire, satire)
              Really though, it should be there somewhere.

Dick
              A QR code is NOT a bar code and a bar code is NOT a QR code. Several of the posts here seem to combine them as one thing. I just used this one as an example.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                A QR code is NOT a bar code and a bar code is NOT a QR code. Several of the posts here seem to combine them as one thing. I just used this one as an example.
                Very true! In a technical discussion, there is a distinction between the two.

I think in a more informal discussion it's more permissible, as long as everyone knows which one you're talking about. (I hope so, since I do it myself!) I think it's like how people often call any form of gypsum board "Sheetrock" or any form of facial tissue "Kleenex" even though those are actually brand names. (Or calling soda "Coke", or calling electrical wiring "Romex", etc, etc...")

Anyway, back on topic, I wonder what the club leadership thinks of any of this. Anyone know if they are even talking about it? I'll come out and throw an offer out. I used to work in graphic design, and I will gladly set up print shop ready decal artwork to the club's specifications (with or without QR code! ), free of charge. All they would need to do is tell me what graphics format their printer of choice prefers, then take what I create to the printer and have them produced. It couldn't be simpler.

Comment

I like the sound of that Jim! Bottom UP Management like Saturn did! It worked fine until GM pulled the plug.

If these "management types" at the helm of SDC take literally YEARS to move and let someone charge us $35,000.00 to do it, I don't see why we can't prod them a bit and get some real action, and SOON!

It also should be noted that I never said anything negative about the "Smart Phone'" thingies "QR" codes? maybe, except they have to be the ugliest things I have ever seen, so they definitely need to be at the bottom and small.

Originally, I said that with tongue in cheek because I did have some idea that they had something to do with those giant Cellphones called "Smart Phones" that I know nothing about.

One of the very few places I remember EVER seeing one of those codes is on a Forum Member's Signature line.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

OOPS! Sorry, I really do know the difference.

Dick

Dick
                    Mountain Home, AR
                    http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

SDC "POWERS TO BE" please help.....We need these .........NOW !
                      1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                      Lewisville,NC

Comment

But why confuse the issue??? Everyone I've ever talked to about the so-called QR codes calls them "bar codes". The kids call them bar codes. So, call them bar codes if that's what the kids call them. The primary point is COMMUNICATION, and connecting with the younger generation. Let's get with it.
                        sals54

Comment

Let's get back on track, shall we?
                          We need new big and small patches, decals, pins, keychains, bottle openers, underwear, etc., with the NEW SDC logo.... OK?
                          And soon!
                          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                            Let's get back on track, shall we?
                            We need new big and small patches, decals, pins, keychains, bottle openers, underwear, etc., with the NEW SDC logo.... OK?
                            And soon!
                            That is what I have been trying to get across !
                            1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                            Lewisville,NC

Comment

I'm trying to see both sides of this thing. From the side of the SCD officers, I can understand a little bit of silence. After last summer's drama, there are probably a lot of bigger fish to fry, so to speak. Lots of big projects are likely underway that will have big impacts on the club, and so they may simply not have the time to get around to this. I can understand that.

That said, I wonder if the marketing committee has brought this up, or what they're working on right now. This seems like something that would be right up their alley. Hopefully, if they aren't working on this at the moment, they would at least be open to advocating for the club to license the logo out to interested parties.

I recognize that the club owns trademarks and copyrights giving them control of the use of the logo, and as such they want to treat it with care. At the same time, the reason companies like Coca Cola are so iconic in our society is because they license their trademark on just about everything. Cars, trucks, shirts, signs, if it will hold still long enough to get a logo on it, Coke has their logo on it. And because of that, it's a household name. Many major corporations do exactly the same thing. Don't believe me? Walk down a t-shirt aisle at Wal-Mart. Heck, walk down the diaper aisle. I had so many trademarked cartoons on my son's butt as a baby that we saved money on cable TV and just let him look at his diapers.

The club needs to either get on this, or license the logo to businesses who can. I have graphic design experience, as well as relations with a business that can make custom patches and decals. If I were licensed to make these things, I could have them ready to sell tomorrow, and ready to ship by Tuesday. Literally. And I'm not the only person out there who has this capability.

There are a lot of folks out there who are Studebaker Evangelists, and want to get word about the club out there. Decals, patches, and pins will help them do that. I hope the club sees this as a worthy endeavor. If they are too busy, I understand that, but I hope they would consider licensing use of the logo to businesses who would.

Of course, the other alternative is that they want to as well, and are simply waiting to see what happens if/when we lose cornerstone as our "membership secretary" to give that responsibility to the new outfit.

Comment

Once again the fountain of misinformation gets it wrong

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                                Maybe, just maybe there are still pending licensing/usage/purchasing agreements related to that 'newer' SDC Logo (& most all design/artwork related to the SDC since 2009). As I recall there was a whole lot of "design/artwork" (to the tune of about $35,000.00) done that was not initially (maybe still has not been paid for by our SDC), but paid for out of the pockets of a "generous supporter" of our Studebaker hobby …our SNM & …our SDC.
                                Folks, I am the one who concepted and designed the new modern SDC logo. I did so gratis, nada, nullo, not one red cent was paid to me for any design work. Why you guys insist on continually listening to him is way beyond me. And before Welcome goes on a tirade on the "outlandish cost" of other designed things, I'll come clean on these as well. I voluntarily redesigned the "Studebaker Story" brochure, the "Glovebox Guide", the IDYSD logo, a number of YouTube SDC promotional videos, and the new "Studebakers Are Great. Studebaker People Are The Greatest." marketing campaign. I do believe in the last part of that slogan, but the judgemental dna of some make it hard sometimes.
                                sigpic
                                Bob Shaw
                                Rush City, Minnesota
                                1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                                "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Working...
                                X