Bess in the Garage/shop II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bess in the Garage/shop II

Since Vbulletin seems to be pissey about how many pics I can put in, here's a whole new thread on Bess. Just what you always wanted, eh?

Here's a link to the first thread:
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...776#post475776

okay... Now where was I...

Oh, yes:
    The pressure plate assembly looks pretty shot to me. I sat down on a stool and had a good long look at it and decided it might be wise to replace it. Wise is not always affordable. Do I spend the money on a new pressure plate assembly or do I get Bess' carb professionally rebuilt? That decision is for tomorrow when I try to adjust the old one.

Anyway, here's some shots of the assembly:

In the meantime, whilst I was waiting for the pictures to upload to my Picasa album, I took a look at the manual for the '56. It said I can adjust the fingers on the pressure plate assembly. So, I got out an 11/16ths socket and plyed away at the little adjusters and the Toggle Levers came right out where they belong!

Anyone have an idea how I can test the bloody thing before putting it back into the car? This in and out with the motor is getting really old.
    Last edited by studeclunker; 07-24-2010, 09:37 PM. Reason: to add pictures and more info... Hey, insert image is working!
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Ron, Do you have a local shop that rebuilds clutches? There is a machine to test a pressure plate. My semi-local shop never charged to test one for me. Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
      Ron, Do you have a local shop that rebuilds clutches? There is a machine to test a pressure plate. My semi-local shop never charged to test one for me. Steve
      The closest Machine Shop would be Redding over forty miles away. I'll call the NAPA shop on Monday. They might be able to help me there.

You know, I don't know what the devil is going on. Now the Insert Image option is working, go figure.
      Ron Smith

Comment

If you haven't done this already, I would suggest 'roughing up' the flywheel surface and the pressure plate surface.
        Get a 6" rubber flex sander for rour drill motor and put a course (120 grit or less) disk in it.
        Put a good swirl mark pattern on the surfaces.
        Too smooth a surface will brun a new disc. BTDT...
        HTIH
        Jeff

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
        The closest Machine Shop would be Redding over forty miles away. I'll call the NAPA shop on Monday. They might be able to help me there.

You know, I don't know what the devil is going on. Now the Insert Image option is working, go figure.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          If you haven't done this already, I would suggest 'roughing up' the flywheel surface and the pressure plate surface.
          Get a 6" rubber flex sander for rour drill motor and put a course (120 grit or less) disk in it.
          Put a good swirl mark pattern on the surfaces.
          Too smooth a surface will brun a new disc. BTDT...
          HTIH
          Jeff
          Yup, yup, yup! I read that suggestion in another thread too! Besides, the Pressure Plate and the FlyWheel were pretty rusty. So, now they're nice and shiney.
          Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
          X