Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Looks like a Lark next to it.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Chris,

That is an awesome photo. I don't know who took it but it has a nice artistic quality to it. A photo like that could be on cover of TW (maybe inside or back, least I offend someone). The thought I had has I viewed this picture is ....

"Even as a wreck in a junkyard this Studebaker still is majestic and adds beauty"
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Kinda cool with the airplane hulk behind. Still usable parts. Looks like a base line 59-60 Lark keeping it company. Possibly a Fleet or Marshal car?

Gordon

Comment

I believe the vehicle next to the subject '51 is a 1958 Scotsman (flatter roof than a '57). Not only is there no side trim, and appears to have never been any, but it kind of looks like there is a "flair" in the trailing edge of the front wheel opening, which the Lark did not have. Someone with fancy photo modification skills might be able to enhance that area and confirm.

I agree; this would be an excellent rear cover photo for Turning Wheels. I hope Art sees this and he and Chris get together on it. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Neat pic Chris! Looks like there is what appears to be a '37 model further back, along side the thresher. What do you guys think?
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
              1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

The aircraft behind is an Avro Anson...a UK-designed (but made in Canada) twin engined bomber/trainer/transport aircraft from early in the war.

The yellow paint means it's a former RCAF trainer.
                Wonder how old the photos is?

Back in the early 70s there was a big auction with several ..the famous Ernie Simmons (a farmer who bought a lot of surplus aircraft) auction.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

It's too bad that it is so beat up. It doesn't look like it has a lot of rust. It almost looks as if it was crashed just for fun.

Comment

This car is in better shape than the coupe for sale on ebay.

Only $200 !
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      I believe the vehicle next to the subject '51 is a 1958 Scotsman (flatter roof than a '57). Not only is there no side trim, and appears to have never been any, but it kind of looks like there is a "flair" in the trailing edge of the front wheel opening, which the Lark did not have. Someone with fancy photo modification skills might be able to enhance that area and confirm.

I agree; this would be an excellent rear cover photo for Turning Wheels. I hope Art sees this and he and Chris get together on it. BP
                      This would make a good cover photo, unfortunately I didn't take this one and don't know who did.
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

You are sure that's not at the proving ground, right? lol. I've been looking for a '51 starlight parts car to be a donor for my N project. This one has two things wrong with it: It's a '50 and there is nothing left! At leist they seem to be cheap.
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

John's right, that's an Anson "pursuing" the beat-up '51 Stude. The pic looks much too recent to have been taken at Ernie Simmons' place, though. (And although Ernie did have some Studebakers, I have never heard of any Anson airframes being in his collection. Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah engines and props from Ansons, yes, dozens of them, but not airframes. He did have one Lysander--now in the Smithsonian--and a bunch each Swordfish torpedo bombers and Yale trainers.)

My guess? Somewhere on the Stan Reynolds property in Wetaskiwin, Alberta. The Reynolds family had a massive private museum including numerous restored cars/trucks/tractors and aircraft, but also acres and acres of potential projects and parts vehicles. I visited the place in 1995; didn't see these, but in fact most of the property was inaccessible to the public. (Nearby BTW is the very impressive Reynolds-Alberta Museum, a cooperative venture between the Reynolds and the provincial government of Alberta, which displays many of the "plums" from the collection including two Duesenbergs and a Hawker Hurricane fighter.)

S.

Comment

Heres another view of that rig at the Reynolds place . . .

Comment

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post

You will note, gentleman (and ladies), that my earlier opinion of the car next to the '51 being a 1958 Scotsman, is hereby confirmed! <GGG> BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X