Truck museum closing, home of Asa Hall's truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck museum closing, home of Asa Hall's truck

I was sad to see the Golden Age of Trucking Museum in Middlebury, CT is closing as of July 20. As some may know, the museum was built by the late Richard Guerrera to house his truck collection. Read the entire story here:

http://www.goldenagetruckmuseum.com/index.shtml

One of the museum's trucks is the late Asa Hall's father's M-16. Below is the story of it, taken from the Museum website, by Asa himself:

On one trip from Connecticut to Maryland in late summer of 1957 my father let me drive the Bumblebee on the New Jersey Turnpike south. After about 85 miles, I got pulled over by a member of the New Jersey Turnpike Authority who was driving one of those famous 1955 Hemi Chrylser New York cruisers. I was 14 years old at the time, and, of course, too young to be licensed. The trooper had been headed northbound and thought I looked too young to be driving, but complimented me on having done a good job. Anyway, we got to experience that Chrylser Hemi power and ended up with a $15.00 fine.

By about 1958 my father phased out his trucking days in the Bumblebee and it sat in the yard for several years. Eventually parts of the wood in the body began to decay and he finally removed it from the chassis. The sleeper was taken apart as were the sides, and the platform used to pile steel on. As the wood was taken apart, almost all of the ironwood was saved and used on the new body it has today. Next, the frame was torched off which included the third axle, and it was back to a 6-wheeler again. It sat that way for 5+ years. Finally I talked my father into letting me have the truck, which he did in April of 1968. At that point I put it in storage until I convinced my friend and professional restorer, Ralph Snyder from Mount Joy, Pennsylvania, to restore the truck and chassis to a ten-wheeler. Dick and Dominick Guerrera and I trucked the Studebaker to Mount Joy on Saturday 30, September 1995 with Dicks 1974 Dodge Big Horn. The restoration was completed in September 1998 and the truck returned to Connecticut the following month.

Hopefully the museum will find a way to continue on. The sad story of Mr. Guererra was enough to make one root for the museum's future. If not, I wonder who will end up with the trucks, particularly Mr. Hall's...
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Wonderful story. Thanks very much, Bob, for getting it into the Forum for all to read. I hope some of our Connecticut members will be able to find out what the plans are for the M-16. Asa Hall did a lot for SDC and especially for the preservation of Studebaker trucks.
    Gene Nagle
    1963 Hawk R1
    1985 Avanti

Comment

I have toyed with the museum idea a few times.

Unless the pockets are really deep, and you think you can have continued interest, I think almost any museum would be tough to keep going, and tough to start. We seriously looked at doing one in Canada a few years ago in conjunction with an existing museum, but there just weren't enough volunteers and interest.

We are really lucky to have the SDC museum.

Comment

"We are really lucky to have the SDC museum. "

Which is where that big ole truck ought to end up!

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
          "We are really lucky to have the SDC museum. "

Which is where that big ole truck ought to end up!
          This is most certainly true!
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Those that know background know that will never happen. stupak

Comment

It is such a shame. They have a car cruise three times a year and it is always a good time. Maybe they can get some financial help and reopen at a later date, but it doesn't sound good. paul
              sigpic
              1950 Champion
              9G F3

Comment

I sure hope that Asa's former truck gets a good home. I don't think the Studebaker National Museum would take it as I doubt the truck would fit.

Comment

Asa's Bumble Bee has a new home at the Iowa 80 Truck Stop Museum. The Golden Age of Trucking Museum donated it to them when they closed. Unfortunately the SDC Museum is too small to house it.

Comment

Originally posted by stude44 View Post
                    Asa's Bumble Bee has a new home at the Iowa 80 Truck Stop Museum. The Golden Age of Trucking Museum donated it to them when they closed. Unfortunately the SDC Museum is too small to house it.
                    Excellent.

Cari and I took in the I-80 Truck Museum on the way to the 2009 SDC International Meet in Cedar Rapids. I'll bet others here did as well.

It's plenty big enough to house Asa's truck(s) and there is plenty of unused space for them...or was in 2009.

A nice place, but if you are towing a trailer and go there, plan your exit accordingly as the Museum parking lot doesn't have "pull-though" capabilities...or didn't in 2009.

'Neat place, though; well worth the stop. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

We are really lucky to have the SDC museum, I agree...which is why we need to continue to support them financially--individually if you can, and the regional SDC clubs as well.

If your SDC region was like ours, we had money just sittin' there we did nothing with. A few of us brought up the SNM this past Christmastime and our club made a $1,000 donation. Of course, a couple folks frowned on that but couldn't really say why.

My feeling is, if the SNM can't count on regions of the SDC for support, who can they rely on?

Off my soapbox now.
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                        This is most certainly true!
                        'Gotta be a Lutheran there somewhere! <GGG> BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I-80 Truck stop, the largest in the world, is in the process of expanding their Truck Museum building. The bumble bee will be right at home with the two Studebaker trucks already in the collection.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            'Gotta be a Lutheran there somewhere! <GGG> BP

Who... Me? Whatever would give you an idea like that?

Glad to hear Asa's truck got a really good home.
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by Retired View Post
                              I-80 Truck stop, the largest in the world, is in the process of expanding their Truck Museum building. The bumble bee will be right at home with the two Studebaker trucks already in the collection.
                              Excellent. There seemed to be plenty of room around the museum for expansion, and there is apparently and certainly the interest, what with trucks becoming even more collectible. Good news. BP

Comment

Working...
                              X