This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 Commander 2 door

Hello all. This is my first post. I'm excited to have found your forum. I came across a 1955 Commander 2 door last week. I have wanted one of these cars for about 5 years now and just happened upon it by accident. I was rather excited. It has a very solid body with minimal but some rust. It has all of the chrome except for one small peice on the rear fender by the fuel door. The interior is shot. It has the 259 V8 with an auto tranny and runs like a sewing machine. It does have a couple of oil leaks. Original steering wheel, clock, and radio are also intact. With all that said, I really don't know much at all about these cars except that I fell in love the first time I saw one. I paid $4,200 for this car. How did I do? I have no idea what it's worth. Can anyone help me? Thanks a million! Troy

If it's a coupe ("C" body) you probably did OK, assuming the body is rust free and it runs and drives OK. I probably wouldn't have paid that much for a 2-door sedan though unless it were really nice.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Troy, raise the hood and note the digits on the tag that's screwed to the firewall between the passenger's side hood hinge and the wiper motor. If it says 16G8-C3 (or C5) you probably done good. If it reads 16G8-F-something... you're on the high side of what most would pay for it. But if you like it and it runs like you say, you're gonna be happy with it!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

BTW, I have that missing piece of gas door trim if you're interested.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob, just realized, if he is missing the gas door trim it has to have the butterknife trim, therefore C5 or F5. C3 did not have this trim. (IMHO it looks better that way, but it's a close race.)

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. The tag under the hood reads as follows:

16G8-C5
            4C66

Also how can I be sure of the engine size? The gentleman I purchased it from believes it is a 259 c.i. The stamp on the block is V408522. It also has a Carter 4 barrel carb on it. It looks like it could be original...not sure. Thanks again.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Troy, raise the hood and note the digits on the tag that's screwed to the firewall between the passenger's side hood hinge and the wiper motor. If it says 16G8-C3 (or C5) you probably done good. If it reads 16G8-F-something... you're on the high side of what most would pay for it. But if you like it and it runs like you say, you're gonna be happy with it!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

quote:Originally posted by CommanderTroy

16G8-C5
              4C66

Also how can I be sure of the engine size? The gentleman I purchased it from believes it is a 259 c.i. The stamp on the block is V408522. It also has a Carter 4 barrel carb on it. It looks like it could be original...not sure. Thanks again.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              Troy, according to the engine data page on this site, that engine was about 100 units into the '58 model run, and is a 259. If your Commander coupe is an early '55, it would have originally had a 224 engine. A late '55 would have had a 259. The differences between the '55 and '58 engines are pretty minor. A can of paint will "fix" the most obvious one.

Sounds like a nice car, '55 Commander Regal coupe with a 259. I'd say you got it at a real good price if it is a solid car.

Welcome to the world of Studebaker!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

quote:Originally posted by CommanderTroy

16G8-C5
                4C66

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                Troy, according to the engine data page on this site, that engine was about 100 units into the '58 model run, and is a 259. If your Commander coupe is an early '55, it would have originally had a 224 engine. A late '55 would have had a 259. The differences between the '55 and '58 engines are pretty minor. A can of paint will "fix" the most obvious one.

Sounds like a nice car, '55 Commander Regal coupe with a 259. I'd say you got it at a real good price if it is a solid car.

Welcome to the world of Studebaker!

Thanks Gord, I appreciate the welcome and look forward to rubbing shoulders with all my new Studebaker friends. Thanks to all of you who posted replies. I'm going to go now and admire my car again! Later...Troy

Comment

yup, like the other guys said C5 = 5 pass. coupe body, higher trim level, sounds like you did all right. enjoy the car, they are pretty (got a C3 myself)

Might want to look and see if it still has the old Detroit Gear transmission or if it received a Flightomatic transplant with the engine swap. Is it still 6V or has it been converted to 12V? No real reason I ask they are both good trannys but it will help you down the road to know this stuff if you need parts etc.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  62 Daytona hardtop
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                  X