This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smasharooni

I sure would like to see a video of how an 50's Studey truck would intersect with a modern plastique mobile,,, head on,,, T-bone,,,...

I sure liked Studebakerkid's story of the crunchtime between the 68 Impala and his 65 Comander.
    Any other vivid stories of old vs. new collisions?

Perhaps not a direct story, but....

The state of California has declaired our classic cars to be a considerable hazard to other newer cars. They contend that a collision with our old beauties will cause profound damage to the plastique mobile.

Duh![)]

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Perhaps not a direct story, but....

The state of California has declaired our classic cars to be a considerable hazard to other newer cars. They contend that a collision with our old beauties will cause profound damage to the plastique mobile.
      Duh![)]
      Lotsa Larks!
      Ron Smith
      At the risk of sounding paranoid, that kind of argument could be a way to eventually get our (pick one or more of the following old/smoggy/oil leaking/socially unacceptable (emissions exempt and low tax producing) cars off the road...
      as a "hazard to not only ourselves" (no side impact beams, airbags, emergency flashers, illuminated defroster controls...how did we ever survive without them? and metal/thinly padded dashboards) but to other innocent motorists!
      Obviously, we must be stopped.

I could see that kind of logic taking place here in the People's Republic of Washington. "People having FUN with cars? Obviously, a socially maladjusted group" they'll say.

Eventually we'll all drive Saabs and Subarus and get a tax break if we have a PBS sticker on the rear window.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

It's no secret California has had older cars in their cross-hairs for elimination for many years. There used to be a law (probably still is) that would require scrapping of perfectly good older cars, but I can't remember exactly what the law was. Maybe someone else can jog my memory on that one.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I think they gave an emissions credit to busineses for scrapping the older cars so they would buy them up and scrap them

1961 Lark

Comment

Just a thought about the ideas surrounding survivability in regards to old verses new. I've worked as an insurance adjuster/appraiser for the past twenty years. Obviously I've seen thousands of newer cars destroyed in various ways and the various condions they end up in. I've also seen classic collector cars (including a small amount of Studes).

While you may giggle about the construction of newer cars, keep in mind these are build to different laws and newer understanding of vehicle construction safety. Newer cars are built to take the impact to help insure that the passenger compartment stays intact. Older cars, while built like granite, don't disapate the forces of an impact the way newer cars do. That new car may fold up like tin foil, but that's because it's designed to. Older cars will transfer the force to the driver, and the driver is what absorbs the impact (when he/she it's the windshield, steering wheel, dash, etc.).

Taking the question of the older Studebaker truck verses a newer car, the odds of someone surviving is more likely in the newer car. Newer restraint systems and air bags do work when used as intended.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
            Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
            LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Taking the question of the older Studebaker truck verses a newer car, the odds of someone surviving is more likely in the newer car. Newer restraint systems and air bags do work when used as intended.

Absolutely correct, Tom. I'd have a MUCH better chance of surviving an accident in my wife's little Jetta with engineered crumple zones, side impact beams, ten (10!) air bags, tensioning harness, etc. etc. than my Starliner with little more than a nice shape.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yep, it's true, newer cars are much safer. My son fell asleep at the wheel of his 2005 Hyundai. The car rolled over two or three times, but the front and side bags fired keeping him snug in the drivers seat.
                The car was smashed every which way, but my kid did not get a scratch. ( He did wake up though) It occured to me that if he's been in a Studebaker, he'd likly have been tossed out the side window in the middle of the roll. When the rescue guys got there, he didn't want them to smash the windsheid on his new car to get him out. Once he got out and had a look at the car, he damn near went into shock.
                I actually bitched at him for paying for "gap insurance" but it bought him a new 2006.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                63 Avanti
                54 3R Pickup

JDP Maryland

Comment

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but I'll take my chances in style.

Ebon...
                  [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/logo2-3.jpg [/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X