People Do Not Know The SDC Exists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StudeBob said:

"One comment I chuckled at was this, by JDP.... talking about selling memberships on ebay ...... "I can't do it for the club since I'm a vendor and there might be a perceived conflict of interest."

That's precious, JP - especially when we arguably have THE BIGGEST vendor as SDC president!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was being diplomatic, it's more that I sort of a lightening rod in the club having raised so much hell over the years. Remember I started the "wild internet rumor" about SASCO having to move. Plus, I'm a used car dealer, and you know how that goes.

You been around long enough to recall when the past SDC leaderdhip not only ignored the Net, it scared the hell out of them. The good news is thanks to Mr. Shaw and others, that's all changed.

64 Commander 2 dr.
    64 GT Hawk R2 clone
    64 Daytona HT
    63 Cruiser
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

While I was not new to Studebakers (I've been around a few for a long time, though never owned one until recently), I had no idea there was a SDC until I happened upon it while randomly searching for information. While this has turned out to be far more friendly and inviting of a club (Mopar forums have me unwilling to consider joining any clubs, even though I love old Mopars as well), it just doesn't have much of a presence.

Perhaps an ad in some general purpose magazines like Hot Rod and Car Craft to announce the existance of the SDC, and try to push those mags to feature more cars like our own would be helpful. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a Studebaker on the cover of a magazine. Actually 1 finger.

The cars themselves can sell themselves. They all have the style to catch peoples' eyes not only as good looking cars, but unique to the brand, not just a '55 Chevy look alike. The thing I like most about owning a Stude is that it's unusual. Even though mine is a shambles right now, I still get comments on it when I tell people I own a '53 Studebaker Champion. I can imagine when I have the ability to take someone outside and say, "This is my car. It's a 1953 Studebaker Champion".

The other topic, about the F*rd guy disparaging Studebakers, actually suprised me. When I went to a local parts house, the guy there said apologetically that he couldn't get anything for it, but once I had it done to bring it by. He wanted to look at it. I guess that shows that the quality of the enthusiasts are about on par with the quality of the cars. and I have a low opinion of Fords.

Guard: Where are you going in such a hurry?
      Gorrak the ranger: Uhhh...Gorrak have quiche in oven!!
      Guard: well hurry along.

1953 Champion 2 door Sedan
      2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe

Comment

While I was not new to Studebakers (I've been around a few for a long time, though never owned one until recently), I had no idea there was a SDC until I happened upon it while randomly searching for information. While this has turned out to be far more friendly and inviting of a club (Mopar forums have me unwilling to consider joining any clubs, even though I love old Mopars as well), it just doesn't have much of a presence.

Perhaps an ad in some general purpose magazines like Hot Rod and Car Craft to announce the existance of the SDC, and try to push those mags to feature more cars like our own would be helpful. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a Studebaker on the cover of a magazine. Actually 1 finger.

The cars themselves can sell themselves. They all have the style to catch peoples' eyes not only as good looking cars, but unique to the brand, not just a '55 Chevy look alike. The thing I like most about owning a Stude is that it's unusual. Even though mine is a shambles right now, I still get comments on it when I tell people I own a '53 Studebaker Champion. I can imagine when I have the ability to take someone outside and say, "This is my car. It's a 1953 Studebaker Champion".

The other topic, about the F*rd guy disparaging Studebakers, actually suprised me. When I went to a local parts house, the guy there said apologetically that he couldn't get anything for it, but once I had it done to bring it by. He wanted to look at it. I guess that shows that the quality of the enthusiasts are about on par with the quality of the cars. and I have a low opinion of Fords.

Guard: Where are you going in such a hurry?
        Gorrak the ranger: Uhhh...Gorrak have quiche in oven!!
        Guard: well hurry along.

1953 Champion 2 door Sedan
        2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe

Comment

I always get a kick out of that....
          Tell me a Delco starter for a Stude is worse than one for a Chevy.
          Or a sarter solenoid. Is a Ford one worse than a Stude one?
          Studebaker used the same vendors everybody else used.
          Except for brand specific items, like sheet metal, interior, trim, and engine hard parts, most of the parts were outsourced.
          Our beef isn't really with the aftermarket guys, it's with the catalog and interchange people.
          Those old, dog eared catalogs and interchanges have become the 'bible' of the Studebaker world.
          As soon as the age curve passed the print cost curve....out went the Stude listing...
          A generation of parts guys later....
          All you hear is 'Who made those?'...
          Sad, but inevitable
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by azrael4h

<snip>

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
          Brooklet, Georgia
          '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
          '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
          '61 Hawk (project)
          http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Except for brand specific items, like sheet metal, interior, trim, and engine hard parts, most of the parts were outsourced.
            Our beef isn't really with the aftermarket guys, it's with the catalog and interchange people.
            Those old, dog eared catalogs and interchanges have become the 'bible' of the Studebaker world.
            As soon as the age curve passed the print cost curve....out went the Stude listing...
            Sad, but inevitable
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by azrael4h

<snip>

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
            Brooklet, Georgia
            '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
            '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
            '61 Hawk (project)
            http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I made up a sheet telling about the Ozark Trails Club and SDC with phone #s and websights and a few local vendors and had it elimanated. To stick in the window of your car at car shows or when you parked it at the store. I had quite a few people looking at it. I think it was about a $1.50 a piece to get them made.

[img=left]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s197/wagon56/49.jpg[/img=left] 48 7G-Q1 49 2R12 51 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

I made up a sheet telling about the Ozark Trails Club and SDC with phone #s and websights and a few local vendors and had it elimanated. To stick in the window of your car at car shows or when you parked it at the store. I had quite a few people looking at it. I think it was about a $1.50 a piece to get them made.

[img=left]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s197/wagon56/49.jpg[/img=left] 48 7G-Q1 49 2R12 51 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Sad, but inevitable
                  Jeff[8D]
                  So true. When we froze a wheel bearing near Winslow, AZ bringing the Avanti from California to West Virginia. the tow company owner picked us up himself. When he heard the call for a '64 Studebaker Avanti, he just couldn't resist. He had been a Studebaker mechanic in the 60s. After taking us by several repair shops then rejecting them, he decided to put it in his own shop even though it was a body shop, not a mechanical repair shop as such. He got great glee out of calling the local NAPA store and asking for '64 Avanti bearings (didn't mention Studebaker). You could visualize the confusion on the other end. Then he relented and gave them the Ford numbers he knew would be the same.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                  '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                  '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                  Museum R-4 engine
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Sad, but inevitable
                    Jeff[8D]
                    So true. When we froze a wheel bearing near Winslow, AZ bringing the Avanti from California to West Virginia. the tow company owner picked us up himself. When he heard the call for a '64 Studebaker Avanti, he just couldn't resist. He had been a Studebaker mechanic in the 60s. After taking us by several repair shops then rejecting them, he decided to put it in his own shop even though it was a body shop, not a mechanical repair shop as such. He got great glee out of calling the local NAPA store and asking for '64 Avanti bearings (didn't mention Studebaker). You could visualize the confusion on the other end. Then he relented and gave them the Ford numbers he knew would be the same.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                    Museum R-4 engine
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:had it [sic] elimanated.
                      Eliminating it would make it hard to see. You should have laminated it.[}]
                      quote:.How about if each member would purchase a subscription for there local library in their city,county ,or school.
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The SDC has that already in motion, anyone can order a subscriprtion for a school library or their towns library.

BG
                      Bill, I haven't seen mention of this in TW. Any details available?
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:had it [sic] elimanated.
                        Eliminating it would make it hard to see. You should have laminated it.[}]
                        quote:.How about if each member would purchase a subscription for there local library in their city,county ,or school.
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The SDC has that already in motion, anyone can order a subscriprtion for a school library or their towns library.

BG
                        Bill, I haven't seen mention of this in TW. Any details available?
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                        X