Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that Dick S. posted a very good reply. I have owned more than 50 Studebakers, both stock and modified. I see using a house as a comparison is okay, but only to disprove Scott's position. I don't recall seeing an older home in this area, that a family lives in, without running water and an indoor toilet since the 1960s. I see this upgrading to be similar to putting better brakes on a Studebaker. Many of what people consider to be stock Studebakers really have non-stock brakes, ignition, radios, A/C, etc. It then just comes down to a matter of degree. To me, the car is either as built or it isn't. I am a believer in; your car your choice. The problem with this, when modified, is that you need to find someone with a similar idea for the car when you go to dispose of it. Many people expect to get what they have put into a car, restoration or custom, when they sell. This rarely happens. People should understand that this is a hobby. How many skiers, golfers, etc. get the hundreds or thousands of dollars back that they spend on their hobby?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Dick,
      You have good points there. The picture you posted of the black hardtop is what I would call a fine modified car, at least from this angle very tastefully done.

Houses and books are different than cars, but on the other hand the same historic preservation issues can and are applied to some kinds of cars. I would actually argue the same thing about re-modifying some old hot rods since they show a certain aspect of our culture at the time they were made. They are very interesting objects, too, and are worthy of preservation. I'm only suggesting that the time for chopping perfectly good Studebakers is 20 years in the past and a little more attention should be paid to keeping intact the ones that are left. I'm mainly talking about body modifications here, by the way, since many mechanical alterations can make the car safer, and many drivetrain modifications can be brought back to stock by a subsequent owner if wanted.
      Scott,
      Tx for the compliment on my '54. I agree with you about chopping the top on a C/K. There are very few chops that I felt improved the looks of the original roof line. But you never know. The owner of that Pink Hawk may well turn it into a "fine modified car".

My current favorite modified is Scott Hall's Speedster. Scott is from my neck of the woods here in Bellingham, WA, and the first outing for his car was the Spokane Internatinal meet. Scott took best in the modified class and scored 398 points out of 400 (he made the "mistake" of firing it up and driving it off the trailer which discolered the engine paint around the exhaust ports <g&gt. Nice combo of the '53 front clip and the Speedster butterknife trim. Hawk buckets upholstered by Phantom in black leather in the original Speedster diamond pattern. R2 power with a T10. Near perfect IMHO.

-Dick-
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

There are a finite number of classic cars left on the road or off it for that matter. Studebakers are very much in the minority reducing this availability further. Some modifications to a car can improve it. Some don't.
        As for the comparison of a car to a house? Very valid. I lived in an Queen Ann Victorian. A beautiful and comfortable home. The plumbing and wiring had been originally installed in the early twenties. Lead plumbing with spool and loom wiring. If the plumbing did'nt poison you, the wiring would burn the place down around your ears. Not to mention the total lack of insulation... So the point I'm taking so long to get to, is that some modifications to modernize the carburation and ignition are not out of line with "historic" restoration of a car (to me). Just keep things along the line of the original.
        As the spoiled few modify these cars to their unique and selfish specifications it limits and reduces the number of historic restoration possibilities. Forgive me for stating my case so strongly, I just believe that classic cars are not just owned by the person who currently holds the title. The owner is more of a caretaker. This is the philosophy that keeps them out of the modern smog, safety, and pollution requirements. Elsewise we would not be able to keep the original engines. Modifications would be required to lights and other safety systems (like seat belts).
        I have admired many a well done customization of a classic car. They are just another way of enjoying our hobby. Still, thinking about the car's future is important as well. When one starts cutting and pasting it moves the car closer to the scrap heap with each modification. It also drastically reduces the parts that are usable on the vehicle when the current owner is through playing with it. Sometimes we just have to think beyond ourselves.

Lotsa Larks!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

The hawk I was referring to in this thread is now on eBay. Too bad the guy wants WAY too much for it. I would maybe pay half of what he wants. It's cute, though. Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...QQcmdZViewItem
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Here's a nice and practically rust free 1956 Skyhawk in Fort Dodge, Iowa. I talked to a person that works with the guy that owns it. I understand he's going to hot rod it, chop it, gut it, put all new running gear in it, remove the rear window, ad nauseum. The fellow I talked to at this car place (KARS) says everyone tells the guy it's way to nice to hot rod, but maybe we have members down there that could try and convince the owner not to do it to this car. Here's a picture. I wish I could buy it from him for my daughter who's 6 and loves Studebakers (especially pink ones).
            I have owned many Studes. Stock and modified. My '54 hardtop is modified. I never could understand why folks feel than a modified Stude should start as a clapped out rust bucket. When I wanted to build a modified '53-54 hardtop, I found the most rust free, most complete car I could find. To do otherwise would be borderline stupid. Believe it or not, others that want to modify a car do exactly the same thing. It's the least expensive, least frustrating way to go.

The only way you are going to "save" Studes from those who wouldn't do exactly what you would do with the car is to buy every one out there and hide them in a barn.

I'm not picking on you, Scott, but there is plenty of room in the hobby for all kinds of ways to enjoy it. In fact, if you can tolerate even a couple of ways a car can be "done", you might have even MORE fun with the hobby.

-Dick-

(saving them from the restorers <g&gt
            Yeah, Okay. That is what the local stock car guys used to do with 'em, too![}]

Comment

"Interior in great shape" Holy crap, hope I never see a bad interior.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
              64 R2 4 speed Challenger
              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
              63 Avanti
              54 3R Pickup

JDP Maryland

Comment

Yeah, the owner of this thing is living in fantasyland. It's a good car to restore, for sure, but it's a long way from being worth his buy-it-now. I do hope someone will eventually get it who can restore it nicely, though.
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Working...
                X