This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radial tires on my 54 champion?

I'm getting to the point I'm going to swap out the 35 year old wards riverside tires that are currently on my 54 champion sedan, and am thinking of my options.

A) I have a set of brand new 205/75/15 tires (accuired in a complicated trade)and they are "narrow" for a 205....

B) I dont have the money for a set of new bias 6.70 X 15

What I am wondering is this:
    Is it more or less safe to run the 205/75 radial tires on the original rims? If I do go that route will they run tubless even though they are riveted rims? I know some guys will say this is a sucide mission using these, but anyone have actual experience trying this?

Or is there any benifit of using later lark welded rims with the 205/75 radials, cause I have an extra set of lark rims.

I'm assuming that the 205/75/15 tires will work and not rub, and these are on the narrow size for a 205 because they are a cheapo brand "sigma".

Thanks for your help guys,
    Kent

My '53 Commander came with 195-75 15s tubeless, on the original wheels from the 'restorer' (no concern for originality, just function) It ran fine and the wheels survived to now sport 7.10-15s. I've not babied it, they seem to do fine. I check the air pressure each spring,keep them at 29 fromt and 26 rear, otherwise it gets squirly. Don't worry about it unless they are well rusted, in which case get some new wheels.

Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '60 Lark VI

Comment

The 1955 coupe I just drove to Wisconsin 2 weeks ago had 205/75/15 radials on the original rims, and as a matter of fact, it has had for 12 years now. Never a problem with rubbing, never lost a full wheel disk off them, and always kept them inflated to 34-35 PSI as per tire manufacturer recommendations. Those rims, and the ones on the 1966 Cruiser were/are not riveted, and I also use same size on it as well. The 1966 rims are not the same gauge thickness as the 1955s were IIRC, but again, I have had no problem losing hubcaps on it either.

Cleaned rims, and well painted should seal them well enough too not leak I would think.

quote:Originally posted by Kent

I'm getting to the point I'm going to swap out the 35 year old wards riverside tires that are currently on my 54 champion sedan, and am thinking of my options.

A) I have a set of brand new 205/75/15 tires (accuired in a complicated trade)and they are "narrow" for a 205....

B) I dont have the money for a set of new bias 6.70 X 15

What I am wondering is this:
      Is it more or less safe to run the 205/75 radial tires on the original rims? If I do go that route will they run tubless even though they are riveted rims? I know some guys will say this is a sucide mission using these, but anyone have actual experience trying this?

Or is there any benifit of using later lark welded rims with the 205/75 radials, cause I have an extra set of lark rims.

I'm assuming that the 205/75/15 tires will work and not rub, and these are on the narrow size for a 205 because they are a cheapo brand "sigma".

Thanks for your help guys,
      Kent
      Sam Roberts

Comment

I just completed a trip of over 2,000 miles on a set of 205-75-15s, mounted on an original set of 1950 rims, without a problem. Per the manufacture's instructions they were run at 38psi.

They definately made for a well behaved vehicle. I'd say do it.

Gerry

Comment

The 54 rims are a bit narrow and may be too weak for a modern tire. It might be good insurance to install a set of new, wider Ford rims. The down side is you can't use the factory dog dish caps.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
          64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          55 Speedster
          50 2R 10 truck
          JDP Maryland

Comment

To be safe run tubes in them the rim dose not have a safety bead for the radials.

Comment

Have run 205-75-15s on my '54 Champion hardtop for 8 years now without problems. Has original wheels.

Comment

I had 205/75's on my '53 with stock 5" stude rims (2 from a '55, 1 from a '52 and the other from a '53). I had sandblasted and painted the rims around the rivets and never had trouble with leaks in 10k miles. I did, however have trouble keeping the full wheel covers on. I've since changed to the 6" ford rims. Unfortunately, still have some trouble with the wheel covers though. The tires fit and look a lot better on the 6" rims. When I had the 205's first put on the stude rims, the tire store made a mistake and put 215's on instead and those will rub on the upper A arm in a full lock turn.

JH

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I've been running radials on stock Stude rims for years. No problems. None.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I think that the stock rims are actually less of a concern on the earlier cars. a '54 should have 5" wide rims which are technically OK for a P205 tire. Now if you detect any flex or cracking, that's bad, but you won't have the issues from the rims being too narrow like you would with the later cars.

The Lark rims will be 4.5" wide most likely and will actually be less suitable.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    62 Daytona hardtop
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                    X