This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas mileage

What does one expect in the way of gas mileage. 1955 President with automatic? I posted this under the wrong topic earlier.[8D]

I get 19-20 on the road with my Commander coupe with a 259 automatic and 3.31 axle ratio. These automatics were 3rd gear direct drive due to the torque lockup.

quote:Originally posted by curt

What does one expect in the way of gas mileage. 1955 President with automatic? I posted this under the wrong topic earlier.[8D]
    Sam Roberts

Comment

I answered 18 to 22 on the other forum page. Dependent on your "driving style", of course[}]

Miscreant at large.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hey Big Guy,

I have heard some boast of 25 mpg, or that vicinity, but having had mine 12 years now, and all kinds of accelerator pressure I sort of nod, and say OK! [8D] With an overdrive I might believe it, out of the V8s, but that would be marginal.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I answered 18 to 22 on the other forum page. Dependent on your "driving style", of course[}]

Miscreant at large.
        Sam Roberts

Comment

When I was driving my 53 Commander coupe with 3 spd overdrive in '59 to '61, I got 24 on the hiway, don't remember average. Today it gets 17 1/2 highway. The only difference is the gas.

Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe
          '60 Lark VI

Comment

Depends on which engine you have, the early 55 Commanders with the 224 V-8 with O.D. showed 22-25 in vintage magazine tests. A 259 with a modern (not NOS) 4bbl should do the same. With original carburetion though they won't do so good on todays gas since the original carburetor was designed for the higher mass leaded gas. The modern Holley's have been designed to work on modern gas and do a more through job of blending today's lower mass oxygen enriched fuels. I have read articles in the MOPAR magazines where they took a stock 318 and put new intake, carburetor and exhaust manifold and the mileage went from 16 to the low to mid 20's.[8D]

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Comment

I bought a box of Popular Science and Popular Mechanics from 1950 to 1957. There is one issue on the 1955 President and how it did on the Mobil ecomony run. It averaged 22.5 mpg with automatic.

Comment

I can agree with that, and do remember, in those Mobilgas Economy runs, they had them well "tweaked " meaning overinflated tires, brakes adjusted loose, as much weight removed as possible, and only necessary options being used. Little, if any city-town driving too I would guess.

quote:Originally posted by S_Ferrell

I bought a box of Popular Science and Popular Mechanics from 1950 to 1957. There is one issue on the 1955 President and how it did on the Mobil ecomony run. It averaged 22.5 mpg with automatic.
                Sam Roberts

Comment

The Mobil Gas economy runs, allowed the use of one size smaller jets in the Carb, not recomended for long term usage due to burt valves. That could add 1-2 MPG on the open road. I wouldn't do it with todays fuels since they already make the engine run leaner than originally designed but at the same time todays fuel takes more to get the same power thus leaner doesn't mean better fuel economy today.

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Sam Roberts

I can agree with that, and do remember, in those Mobilgas Economy runs, they had them well "tweaked " meaning overinflated tires, brakes adjusted loose, as much weight removed as possible, and only necessary options being used. Little, if any city-town driving too I would guess. The drivers would also drive barefoot so they can get a good feel of the gas pedel

quote:Originally posted by S_Ferrell

Sam Roberts

Comment

Admittedly, those "economy runs" showed what could be done with optimum driving of an optimum-tuned car. But remember - the competitor's cars were equally tuned as well! (And the Stude 8s bested their 6s if I recall right!)[:0]

Miscreant at large.
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I took off yesterday in the '55 Commander, got home just late this afternoon. Drove 250 miles, mostly highway, and about 25 miles city driving, and got 19 mpg. That is with an automatic, and 3.31 axle, and 205R75X15 radials. I would not have qualified as a Mobilgas economy run participant because that old girl grooves at 65 MPH!

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Admittedly, those "economy runs" showed what could be done with optimum driving of an optimum-tuned car. But remember - the competitor's cars were equally tuned as well! (And the Stude 8s bested their 6s if I recall right!)[:0]

Miscreant at large.
                        Sam Roberts

Comment

A couple of points...My 55' Commander 2dr sedan (F3) w/ 224 & OD very consistently got 22-24 in the late 70's. My 63' Lark W4 w/259, 3.31 & auto got 24 mpg in the early 70's. My 64' ragtop w/ 259 and 3.73's and auto would get 18-20 in the early 80's....That 64' w/ 289, 3.31 & auto can't get 18 any day.....Also, did anyone see where the EPA is setting harsher testing on mileage claims made by the big 3 this past week.....? Article said if the vehicles were driven "as people drive"
                          the mileage could be off as much as 10-15%........wow !

Comment

Jack, I should have said mine is a late 1955 with what was a 259, but after Ted Harbit rebuilt it, it seems to have grown .040 in the cylinder walls, making it actually a 265 cubic inch motor, and still not a Chevrolet.

quote:Originally posted by jackb

A couple of points...My 55' Commander 2dr sedan (F3) w/ 224 & OD very consistently got 22-24 in the late 70's. My 63' Lark W4 w/259, 3.31 & auto got 24 mpg in the early 70's. My 64' ragtop w/ 259 and 3.73's and auto would get 18-20 in the early 80's....That 64' w/ 289, 3.31 & auto can't get 18 any day.....Also, did anyone see where the EPA is setting harsher testing on mileage claims made by the big 3 this past week.....? Article said if the vehicles were driven "as people drive"
                            the mileage could be off as much as 10-15%........wow !
                            Sam Roberts

Comment

IF I put my mind in charge of my foot, I used to be able to eek 27MPG out of the '52 Champion I rebuilt in the early 70s. The best gas-sippin' Stude V8 I ever had was a low-mileage, 58 Commander hardtop. That thing consistantly turned an avg of 22MPG. This was with a 259, auto trans, 3.31 gears and a size 13 shoe on the gas pedal.[:0]
                              My Transtar will do 18 if I try. This is with a well-worn 289 (which winds so nice[}]), 3spd O/D and 4.27 gears at the rear.[^]

Miscreant at large.

Comment

Working...
                              X