The price of Avanti ownership......stinky clothes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The price of Avanti ownership......stinky clothes

It's funny in almost 44 yrs of Avanti ownership I do not recall being plagued with the smell of car exhaust on my clothes as a result of the use of the car for the day.

But over the past 25 yrs or so no matter how careful I come home with clothes that stink from car exhaust.

Now I know you will proffer that the exhaust system has to checked for leaks etc.........well sadly even with a completely new exhaust the same malady persists......I know that walking behind the car while running in the garage will always stick up the clothes......but the exhaust always finds a way back into the garage even if I stay inside and have rubber exhaust garage tubes shoved over the exhaust tips.......

So after all these years I know that after a weekend of spirited Avanti motoring I head home take a good shower and toss all the clothes in the hamper to be washed asap:-)

Neither my Edsel nor Studebaker cause my clothes to smell of car exhaust.
    Somewhere you have a leak.
    If you exhaust "system" is good, it is in some secret place that you are not looking.
    How many holes are in your firewall and dashboard? Are all their rubber grommets intact or are some dried up (or even missing now)?
    Gases do not need a big hole to travel through. You have some small hole somewhere.
    I'd look under the carpet, in the trunk, under the dash, and see where there could be a leak.
    Carbon monoxide is not good for you.
    If your clothes smell of car exhaust you are also breathing it.
    Not good.
    Not good at all!

Comment

Well I can not see how one can prevent exhaust from entering the garage with the car running.

If the car was parked outside i could understand.

All new rubber firewall grommots and trunk gasket.

Comment

Well I can not see how one can prevent exhaust from entering the garage with the car running.

Comment

Comment

My '53 draws exhaust gas into the cabin through the trunk if I drive with only the front wing windows open. It seems that they create a vacuum in the cabin, sucking gas in thru the trunk. (my deck lid doesn't seal on the gasket, it's been hit in the rear too many times.)

So, I either have four front windows open, or none.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
            '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
            ....On the road, again....
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

My '64 Daytona also had this problem, especially if I had a vent window open, as Tom also related. I replaced the trunk seal, the gas filler grommet and some other open holes, and this cured it.
              Bruce

Comment

I wonder if todays gasoline creates a stronger scent when burned as compared to thirty years ago, due to reformulation and other changes. The exhaust coming out of my catalytic equipped vehicles doesnt smell strong, but it smells strong coming out of my Studes. Maybe it's just because the engines in my Studes are not running at peak efficiency?

Love birds...Red Hawks in mating season.
                In the middle of Minnestudea
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Laemmie,

I used to come home smelling like gasoline after driving the Avanti. Filling up the tank to only 3/4 a tank helped, my problem was a dried out gas gauge sending unit cork gasket. I also learned which brands of premium gasoline smelled worst than others ...

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
                  sigpic
                  John
                  63R-2386
                  Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

One day I removed the rear seat to inspect the gas tank in my Avanti. I discovered a hole in the fiberglass, about 1.5" dia., just forward of the tank. It's not apparent to me why such a large hole is there, but it surely allows exhaust gases underneath the car to get inside. I plugged it. If your car has a hole like mine did, you might see it from below, next to the frame cross member under the gas tank.
                    -- Rich

Comment

See AOAI Magazine article "The Useless Hole". When I inquired of Avanti Motors, concerning my '63, Nate Altman responded that the hole over the cross member was the original planned route for the gasoline line, the "spects" were changed by Studebaker and that the "hole" could covered over with out any worry.I came across the "hole" when I removed the panel behind the rear seat cushion. The gasoline tank and surrounding area was covered with dust and the floor of the area even contained bits of gravel. Covering this hole did two things: (1) Eliminated the passage way for dust/dirt/gravel to enter. (2) Reduced the level of road noise in the cabin. This same page of the AOAI magazine also contains an article "Odor Mystery".

Richard

Comment

I just had my gas tank redone and replaced all the hoses. I too found the big hole and taped it shut with metal tape. Also I found that the filler tube rubber connector had numerous cracks in the top of it where you could not see. I replaced that big hose and all the odor went away. I also had to replace the gasket for the fuel sender and used some permatex 2 to really seal it. Now I do not have any odor. Also check the vent action of the gas cap by pushing on the little opening with a pick. It should move freely. If not replace it or squirt some WD40 or Kroil in there to free it up.

John

1963 Avanti R2
                        Marshall, VA
                        John
                        1963 Avanti R2
                        Marshall, VA

Comment

I have had the 'exhaust smell on the clothes thing' after driving my Daytona for awhile.I have a new exhaust system from the donut gaskets back.I sealed up all the holes in the trunk, new trunk seal, new gas tank filler hose,patched two holes in the wheel well area, made sure gas tank vent hose was clear and sealed up a large hole in the firewall where the A/C hoses used to run through.Haven't done a check on the firewall grommets; that's on the 'list'. I wrote TW on this back aways, and the gentleman suggested that it may be because of the fact I have my exhaust pipes running "straight out the back" (his words not mine).On the stock exhaust system for my car (I can't speak for Avantis)the tailpipes turn DOWN on a slight angle.The suggestion was made that I should try tips that turn down as opposed to the straight ones that I have on the car now.At this point, I haven't tried it, but just a thought......

Comment

John,

I tend to keep the tank full at all times when I can.

Also I tend to utilize Sun race fuel the 110 TEL variety......sometimes I will let the tank go to half and refill with 93 Sun no lead.

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

Laemmie,

I used to come home smelling like gasoline after driving the Avanti. Filling up the tank to only 3/4 a tank helped, my problem was a dried out gas gauge sending unit cork gasket. I also learned which brands of premium gasoline smelled worst than others ...

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification

Comment

Rich,

About 15 years ago I removed the Avanti gas tank to braze pennies on all the baffle welds.........I covered it up but that had no effect on the stink:-(

quote:Originally posted by StudeB

One day I removed the rear seat to inspect the gas tank in my Avanti. I discovered a hole in the fiberglass, about 1.5" dia., just forward of the tank. It's not apparent to me why such a large hole is there, but it surely allows exhaust gases underneath the car to get inside. I plugged it. If your car has a hole like mine did, you might see it from below, next to the frame cross member under the gas tank.
                              -- Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X