Aquired a prototype: Moon Cart. Never left ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe a bomb cart.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I'm trying to think of when Studebaker supplied cars to ARAMCO for use in the desert. Because of the strange tire / wheel arrangement I was wondering if it was made for going in sand.

Chris, can you take a picture of it with you standing next to it so we can get a better idea of the correct size?

Doug
      Venice, Florida
      1950 Champion
      9G F1

Comment

I think some employees were 'playing' at lunch time with nothing else to do just like the Corgi and Dinky employees used to. The difference is, the Corgi and Dinky playthings are much sought after today. Can you imagine the Studebaker employees laughing at all the serious conjecture going on here?

toyman

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach

I thought it might have something to do with dessert use.
          Think you're onto something, Chris. Hard working employees DO get hungry... LH

whirling dervish of misinformation
          Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Looks like it could hold a welding gas tank.

I like the military suggestion...in the late 50s, early 60s they were coming up with some weird stuff like that buckboard looking ATV with a steering wheel or that articulated Marine son-of-a-weasel looking thing.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Minus the two wheels on the left, we used a cart like this to haul a stack of stacking chairs around conference rooms. Light colored wheels are used to keep from leaving marks on polished floors.

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I think the bomb cart may be the closest idea so far. We were first thinking that it could have been used for military use because of its grey paint. And for use in the desert because of the sand type tires. It is also made to go over semi uneven ground because the brackets in the center give it the ability to turn and have a primitave form of susoension. The brown plates hook toghether and it is all even by the way.

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
                Parts of the 1952 Model N
                1960s Prototype cart
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

I think it's a combination television cart/television antenna.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

I think it's a combination television cart/television antenna.
                    Not sure how you see that, but ok.[?][8D]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
                    1960s Prototype cart
                    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Talked to Ed today. The cart will be coming home this week!

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
                      1960s Prototype cart
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

It's offical, it's coming home Tuesday of this week. Ed said I should wear an astronaut suit when I pick it though, and he has a camera.[B)] Did get a little history about it though, apperantly it actually was built as a proposal for a moon cart for the goveronment, but the idea was scrapped and the cart was just kind of used around the factory from time to time in the '60s, mostly in Engineering I guess. Then it became a table. Remember though, this is a BEST GUESS. We don't have any proff what so ever. The only facts about it is that it was built by Studebaker in the '60s and is a prototype. Personally, I still think it looks like a military bomb cart. Who knows[?] By any chance, does anybody know of any surviving personell who worked in the engineering building up to the closing[?] I would really like to ask a few questions I have about some of my project prototype stuff, like this and the model N. Thanks!

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
                        1960s Prototype cart
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Xtopher, have you made an agreement yet to purchase the model N body? Has the SASCO move been completed yet or are parts being moved yet between buildings? Have there been any unusual finds in the Engineering building lately?

Anybody got a tachometer decal?
                          In the middle of Minnestudea
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

A moon cart!! How about that. That explains the wire frame and the styrofoam wheels. The frame would have been for weight restrictions, and the wheels was a way to keep the wheels round while on the moon. The lander's wheels are constructed of piano wire, one for stiffness to crawl over an uneven surface, and another because if you get a flat, there's no place local to air the tires back up, so that's probably why these wheels are made of styrofoam.
                            Well, when you get it home, test it out by throwing some rocks into the basket between the front wheels and see if it works [)].

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                            [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                            [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                            [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Xtopher, have you made an agreement yet to purchase the model N body? Has the SASCO move been completed yet or are parts being moved yet between buildings? Have there been any unusual finds in the Engineering building lately?

Anybody got a tachometer decal?
                              In the middle of Minnestudea
                              The model N... Oh my... I talked to Mike Lenyo for a minute, and he said he would tell me who to talk to to get in to the proving ground boneyard. That was the last I heard.[B)] I'm working on it, I own the rear fenders, just don't have them yet! The move is 99.9% complete. At the stage now where it's just walking thru the building going: oops, forgot this! Pick it up and put it in the semi. As for unusual findings, yeah. There are some strange things there that without more time to just stare at, will probably never be known. Just things about the building itself. Such as there is a room way in the back that has this wood thing on a pillar. We know it's from studebaker by the way it's painted. It's the only one of it's kind, but we will never know its use. There have been some prototype findings, and they were all saved. The prototype stuff either went to Ed or was donated to the SNM or went to me, such as my cart. There are a couple of prototype parts I also really want from Ed if he dosen't want them. If you want to know more about that, send me an Email and Ill explain.

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
                              1960s Prototype cart
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

Well, when you get it home, test it out by throwing some rocks into the basket between the front wheels and see if it works [)].

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                                [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                                [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                                [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

Have to do some welding first. See the brown connection plate on the left? It has a welded drive shaft end on it like its twin on the other side. The one broke off so I need to fix it. Also have to replace a few of the pipe clamps.[V]
                                Oh, and the baskets are open, they cant hold anything.

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
                                1960s Prototype cart
                                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                                X