Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aggen Family Farm Studebakers in Mt Greenwood, Il.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggen Family Farm Studebakers in Mt Greenwood, Il.

A co-worker friend let me borrow a cd with a lot of his family's old pictures on it.

His great grandparent's, the Aggen's, had a farm on property in Mount Greenwood, Illinois on 111th and Pulaski.
    I think the land was owned by the Chicago School Board. It was the last farm in Chicago.
    In the 1980's the land was saved from deveopment and turned into the Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences.

He told me there was some Studebaker pictures on the cd and there was one of some big trucks.
    He thought that the local Studebaker dealer, which would have been Mount Greenwood Studebaker, used to store trucks on the farm land. I'm thinking that picture might have been trucks they used on the farm.
    But there a few more pictures of Studebaker cars and trucks so they probably bought them from Mount Greenwood.

Here's a few of the pictures and a link to the rest.

John V.

Aggen Studebakers
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Is this Allis Chalmers tractor cool or what?

Looks like a '41, but man that's nice! I wish mine looked that good!

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
    Parts of the 1952 Model N
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Nice pictures! That tractor is a 'B' Allis and I recently read that Brooks Stevens designed that tractor. Can anyone confirm this to be true? It seems likely being that Allis-Chalmers was based in a city next to Milwaukee, which is where Brooks lived. Regardless, they are great tractors. If indeed all four Stude trucks belonged to that farm, it must have been a very big farm!

Autumn at Lake Barget
      In the middle of Minnestudea
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Nice pictures! That tractor is a 'B' Allis and I recently read that Brooks Stevens designed that tractor. Can anyone confirm this to be true? It seems likely being that Allis-Chalmers was based in a city next to Milwaukee, which is where Brooks lived. Regardless, they are great tractors. If indeed all four Stude trucks belonged to that farm, it must have been a very big farm!

Autumn at Lake Barget
        I have heard that Brooks Stevens designed that tractor too. It wouldn't surprise me. I am not a huge AC fan, but I do like them. I have always wanted a WD-45.[8D][]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Autumn at Lake Barget
          Thanks for the tractor info. My grandfather was a farmer. My mom's cousin that lives across the street has his old tractor but it's a 60's Ford.
          There was some info on the CD saying it was 64 acres. But it was split between 3 farmers. I think they used 17 acres.
          John V.

Comment

WD-45

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Now that is cool, in more ways than one!!

My grandparents resided up by 55th and Pulaski, or east of Midway Airport . They moved into the area after the war, and resided in the same house, with consistent improvements to the homestead for the next 50 years or so.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
              [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Neat photos. By the way Chris that is a '40 Commander or President.

Bob Kapteyn (Joliet Studebaker) and I bought out the remaining parts stock of Mt. Greenwood Motors in the early 1980's. A story about the dealership and its owner (George Shumsky) was carried in TW within the past few years.

Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach

WD-45

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
                  I was showing my co-worker friend this post and he said that his grandfather had one of these tractors too and his dad still has it.
                  He said they only used in winter for moving snow and it's a diesel.
                  He also said that he was glad that these pictures could be shared on here.
                  John V.

Comment

I'm new here. My name is Ken Aggen I'm, the little boy standing on the seat of our family farm Allis Chalmers B tractor. My brother and I pose for a family picture beside Dad's 40 Commander. I now live in Texas and retired from farming but at 75 like playing with Old Orange Allis Tractors

Comment

Welcome Ken to the SDC Forum! I am glad you found this old Post with your pictures, sometimes the Studebaker World is a Small one!

We would love to have you share a few memories here, and why not buy yourself a STUDEBAKER? You would love one!
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Welcome, Ken. Good to see that you found us.

Are you familiar with Dale Haymaker's large, unofficial Allis-Chalmers "museum" east of Paris IL on U.S. Route 150, barely a mile from the Indiana / Illinois State Line?

I grew up in Paris, where my father was, at one time, the Packard-Nash-Studebaker-Kaiser dealer, but Haymaker's was not there at the time because Dale is younger than either you (74) or me (70). However, my wife and I visited Dale's place maybe 10 years ago. It is truly amazing; I swear, if there is any little AC advertising trinket extant, he has it....in addition to row upon row of every kind of tractor imaginable. A veritable Orange Grove in the midwest.

Check it out if you've never been there and are back up here visiting friends in Illinois.

Again, welcome to our corner of the wheeled world. BP
                        Last edited by BobPalma; 02-13-2016, 05:12 AM. Reason: corrected estimated distance to Indiana
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob
                          I have been to Dale's Alllis Museum more than once. I will never forget the fun a gang of us Orange Tractor nuts had building a B tractor in one day with a part from here and a part from there all donated by Allis folks from coast to coast. I put together a pretty nice pile of good used B parts for this project. Turned out great. Had every part we needed and no parts left over.

Comment

Originally posted by KEN IN TEXAS View Post
                            Bob
                            I have been to Dale's Allis Museum more than once. I will never forget the fun a gang of us Orange Tractor nuts had building a B tractor in one day with a part from here and a part from there all donated by Allis folks from coast to coast. I put together a pretty nice pile of good used B parts for this project. Turned out great. Had every part we needed and no parts left over.
                            Cool beans,Ken; that sounds like much fun. Haymaker's is one impressive place, no?

How about AC enthusiast Terry Johnson of Danville IN; do you know him, or know of him? Terry is a good friend and active in the Antique Farm Machinery club here in our Hendricks County IN. He is also in charge of the antique tractor exhibit in Pioneer Village at The Indiana State Fair; a nice guy. Orange is his favorite color, too.

Do you have any Studebaker cars or trucks with you in Texas? BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

and that city next to Milwaukee is...................West Allis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X