• Milaca
    replied
    Does that horse speak like Mr. Ed? "Wilburrrr"

Autumn at Lake Barget
    In the middle of Minnestudea

Leave a comment:

• jlmccuan
    replied
    We had a little debrief session after the show and it looks like there will be a lot of improvements next year. We were referring folks with Stude projects to the SDC and other web sites as well as telling everyone interested about the meets coming up. Next year we want to have an information sheet to give out. Each of us had memorabilia around the vehicles, but I'd like to add a literature display featuring Turning Wheels, Jet Thrust News and the like. A Stude toy layout would be great if someone would be able to do that. More cars is certainly not the only route to a great club effort, so ya'll feel free to jump in, even if it's too far to bring your Stude.

A lot of attendees told me about going to the National Museum and how nice it is. Many lived in South Bend and had family working for Studebaker. Ton's of stories about the one that got away and leads on cars still sitting in the barn. I had a guy sell me a Paxton for $50 and I picked it up on the way home Sunday night. Of all the all makes shows I've been to, this seemed to have the most Stude knowledgeable people in attendance. Had a very interesting conversation with a fellow involved in the Novi project and got some leads there too. Bench racing abounded, of course.

Chuck Kern's little Champ had a great little miniature horse that was voice and movement activated. Everybody loved it. You'd see families making a beeline to it and while the kids were entertained, we got to talk cars.

The Stude Tomato was a big draw and Ted had Chicken Hawk pics and gave away some great posters. He had to have the most sought out autograph at the show. And the rollback truck was a big hit. Several of Ted's as well as Mary Ann's former students stopped in to visit.

While all this was going on, the Road Rockets put on a live demo of chopping a 32 Ford and finished the metalwork during show hours. They also had a "drive in theatre" showing old movies and drag racing. There was live music each evening, also.

Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing

Leave a comment:

• jlmccuan
    replied
    Thanks, Bob. We are very proud of Jason's choice and accomplishment. We got him back to the base Monday after driving home from Indy.

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Worthy of note, here, is the following, since Jim would be reluctant to blow his own horn:

While Jim was putting this together in Indianapolis, his and Lisa's son, Jason William McCuan, was graduating from Army Boot Camp with the 31st Engineers in Ft. Leonard Wood MO. Lisa attended the graduation ceremony and then drove to Indianapolis to join Jim at Camp Studebaker within The World of Wheels.

Congratulations to you folks and Jason, Jim & Lisa. BP

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Did they have SDC material to hand out to those interested? If not, I suggest adding that.

Ted - A true mechanic with his buckle on the side.

Since this is Indy, how about getting Bob P. to bring out one of his Studebakers?

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Leave a comment:

• gassedbaker
    replied
    killer shots jim!!! glad yall came out again and enjoyed yourselves...i will have another studebaker by the end of spring!!! cant wait to see yall on the road or the track....ill keep ya posted on our events for the year

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied
    Well done on the award!
    Thanks for "showing the flag".

As far as next year's display...perhaps SDC members out there have banners, or stuff to hang on the wall they could loan to help out?

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Nice work fellas and congratulations on your success! Any chance you recruited new members to the club? Hear any interesting comments from the spectators that you care to share?

Autumn at Lake Barget
    In the middle of Minnestudea

Leave a comment:

• Gary1953
    replied
    Nice display and pictures. Looks like you all had a great time.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    Great pictures, Jim and congratulations to you all for a terrific display and representation. [^][^][^]

Leave a comment:

• jlmccuan
    started a topic Show Report - 2010 Indy Motorama

Show Report - 2010 Indy Motorama

Better late than never and apologies for that as we had additional travels.

Once again, the Indy Road Roackets put on a great party at the 51st Annual Motorama held in conjunction with the Indy World of Wheels. I believe the total entries for the Motorama this year rose to 223, completely filling the South Pavillion Buildings at the Indianapolis Fairgrounds. Move-in began Thursday, Feb 11th and setup continued Friday until the doors opened to the public at 5PM. The show ran until 10PM each night with the awards Sunday evening at 6PM.

Studebaker participation rose this year to 4 vehicles and again were well received, in fact sought out at the front door, with ticket takers reporting the public asking for directions to the Studebaker display. We also had folks displaying in the "high rent district" making a point of sending enthusiasts and fellow exhibitors over our way.

More complete pictoral coverage can be seen at http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...ama/?start=all , but here are some highlights. If you want hi-res versions, let me know and I'll be glad to send them your way.

Here is the look of the display.

The guys displaying from left to right, Ted Harbit, Chuck Kern, Jim McCuan

Ted's Hauler and the Stude Tomato

My '63 Avanti

Chuck's Champ

At the awards ceremony, Ted received a Rocket Trophy and The Stude Tomato was chosen as one of the Top 40. A few words were said about his contribution to the car hobby as well as mention of The Chicken Hawk. As a finale, based on crowd response and traffic, the Studebaker Display was chosen as the Outstanding Club Display and awarded a $300 cash prize. The owners of the cars in the Stude display determined that this award will be used for next year's display to improve the recognition for our chosen brand.

I'd love for the other guys to add a few comments to this thread and expand this to include their experience, so if you had a car or saw the display, please chip in.

We'd like to see a dozen or more Studes in the show next year and have some great plans to expand the exhibit. The Road Rockets have promised to give us our choice of the floor plan anywhere we'd like to set up. It's great to have the support of the show promoters and they did an unbelieveable job in pulling this show off again. Thanks to Naomi, Tom, and the other 9 (that's right NINE) club members that do all this. (If you look at the pics and see just part of the 2 year iniatiation process for new members, you'll see these guys are committed)
    They even had a Miss Studebaker

A truckload of car show beauties. Wonder what it is about yellow trucks that attracts women, Jeff?

Jim

Working...
X