Avanti Convertible on CL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Convertible on CL

A very nice car, and a very nice owner, too!

Bruce Newell
    Yakima, Wa

28xxx miles should be a good buy.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Speaking of late 80s Avantis....

Anyone know if you could put a 63-83 (metal bumper) front & rear clips on one?

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Full of misinformation - A 1989 is an Avanti not an "Avanti II". There were many more than "100" Avantis built for the 1989 model year. I believe that the body is Fiberglas, not "Kevlar" (I believe that Kevlar was used for the 1990 and 1991 model years.)

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

JBoyle...I think you'd have a lot of issues to overcome with that kind of project. By then they were on the Chevy chassis with impact absorbing bumpers. The attaching points may not be there or located differently. The width of the car may be different as well.

Depending on what state you live in, those cars probably don't qualify as historic, street rod or antique so such changes may be legally questionable. Personally I don't believe it would meet the cost/benefit test, but then again, if someone wants to do so, who am I to tell them no? Some will probably think I'm insane for what I've done with my car to make myself happy with it. With enough money and time, most anything can be done.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger

JBoyle...I think you'd have a lot of issues to overcome with that kind of project. By then they were on the Chevy chassis with impact absorbing bumpers. The attaching points may not be there or located differently. The width of the car may be different as well.

Depending on what state you live in, those cars probably don't qualify as historic, street rod or antique so such changes may be legally questionable. Personally I don't believe it would meet the cost/benefit test, but then again, if someone wants to do so, who am I to tell them no? Some will probably think I'm insane for what I've done with my car to make myself happy with it. With enough money and time, most anything can be done.
            Agree, probably not worth it...but would a (84-86?) pre-GM chassis be do-able? When I did my first post I forgot thethe 89s were Chevantis).
            Just wondering if there was a way to give a convertible the classic Avanti look (as opposed to the plastic-bumpered square headlight Blake and post-Blake cars).

Just idle dreaming, I'm still restoring (and paying for the restoration of) my 63.
            But every car guy wants a convertible...[8D]

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I see no reason why any rubber bumper Avanti on the Stude frame can't be converted to the chrome bumper appearance...there have been some chrome bumper cars changed to rubber bumpers, so why not the reverse? It may take new outer quarter panels and I don't know what else might be required.

I would think replacement (new, repro or used) Avanti body panels and bumpers are more easily found for chrome bumpers cars than for rubber bumper cars.

Comment

Gary, have you ever seen official numbers on the 1989 Avanti convertible production? I have never been able to find it. I have heard less than 300.

Comment

In John Hull's book he lists 158 as the total number of Avanti's built in 1989...no breakdown between convertibles and coupes.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael

Gary, have you ever seen official numbers on the 1989 Avanti convertible production? I have never been able to find it. I have heard less than 300.
                    I don't know the number of convertibles. The ad refers to all 1989 Avantis as being less than 100. I belive that 158 Avantis were built for the 1989 model year.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Seems like a bargain to me.

Putting chrome bumpers on would be quite a task. The fenders and rear quarters are cut off on the Chevy chassis cars so if you remove the covers you would need to splice on the bottoms of the front fenders and rear quarter and the lower valances in the front and rear. Then you need to add parking and turn signals in the front because they are contained in the bumper cover.

ErnieR

R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006________________ 1988 "Beater" Avanti

Comment

Working...
                      X