Driving for your Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving for your Studebaker

How far have any of you here ever driven to pick up your Studebaker? What's the furthest I should drive on a potential wild goose chase. Pictures are little iffy. Don't ask me to post cause these are prints and I don't have a scanner. All I have is a lap top. poop-chop

I drove 700 miles one way to get my truck but, gas was a little cheaper then and I wanted go somewhere I had never been. Neal

Comment

757 miles, from Wetumpka, Al. to Galion Ohio, to pick
      up a M-15. This was in 1962. Kept the truck til 2000.
      Still have the serial # plate.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I think your question is difficult to answer in simple terms. I would say that there are many factors to consider. If you see the car as "just another car"...then it wouldn't make much sense to invest a lot of time, money, or effort. However, if you are passionate about the prospect of an adventure...another entirely different dynamic comes in play. The last one I drove to pick up involved 969 miles one way (in one day), pulling a trailer, staying overnight with strangers (made new friends) and a whole book of "war stories" to bore anyone willing to listen. As it turned out, the vehicle was in such poor condition that I offered to help pull it out so that some local person could come and haul it off! However, I persevered and drug the thing home anyway. It is now in about a gazillion pieces. It may or may not become a viable vehicle again. Was it worth it? Money wise...it was stupid. Recreationally...priceless!

John Clary
        Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I pulled my trailer 700 miles one way to see a '63 Avanti just in case it turned out to be what I wanted. Brought it home, too. At the time, it was the most I ever paid for any car, it was the oldest car I'd ever owned, and it had the least miles on it of any car I had owned. But if I had passed because it was so far away or so much money and then later saw the car on the forum or in person, I would have regretted it the rest of my life. You just never know. Men are hunters. There is a primal satisfaction from that great find and the campfire stories about the one that didn't get away.

Jim
          Often in error, never in doubt

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
          Jim
          Often in error, never in doubt
          http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I drove out to California 3 times. The first two times was to pick up a 50 business coupe. The third trip was to pick up a 63 R-2 Hawk.
            Bo

Comment

I think it depends on the car and the condition.

The first question you would need to ask is "is the car safe to drive at low speeds" (at 35-45mph) and if thats affirmative, then you need to ask "is the car safe to drive a low highway speed (55mph).

If it is, then you need to ask "what is my safety net should it break down?" and then "what is the car's safety net" as in how do I get it towed back home if it breaks down in place where (to quote Gertrude Stein) "There is no 'there' there."

Remember - cars are replaceable. You - being one of a kind - are not.

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

Comment

November 2008 my wife and I drove from the Taampa Bay area in Florida to pick up a 1949 Studebaker truck VIN R16A22273 that I had purchased on EBAY in Morgantown,Ohio. I was very lucky the person that I purchased this truck from had described this truck correctly. We drove to Corydon,Indiana my home town where as teenager I worked at Wolfe Motor Sales in the Body Shop. This truck was then driven to our home in Florida,it now is garaged at our farm with a 1949 restored 4dr champion setting on a custom car hauler bed I get two stored in one space. 1000 miles one way.

Ed
                Ed

Comment

Thanks for your stories. I think that I will try the fly in drive away method if I have to travel east of the Miss. river. I should be able to find something rust free for a project not to far from. I'm in Zona. poop-n-squish

Comment

I've driven over 700 miles round trip and drove the vehicle home. it was a great trip except for the tractor trailers that were blowing me away on the Interstate.
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

This really isn't driving, but I flew from Atlanta to Sacramento and back in the same day to look at a Hawk. (Yes, I bought that one.)

Comment

In 07 I just got back from a driving trip to South Bend nationals in the motor home pulling my 67 Avanti to turn around and drive to Georgia to pick up my 64 full package super hawk so I guess you could say about 6000 miles to get a car one really nice car also and will be in the family for a long time.

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                        canbstudebakers-
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Drove 1774 miles round trip to Burlington Vt to pickup the 83 Avanti in Oct 09. Went well because the tow vehicle and trailer were designed to tow those distances. Drove another 1400 miles round trip to pick up the motor and tranny.

Bob

Comment

I flat towed an avanti I bought in anchorage alaska to Idaho. 2800 miles one way. I then went back and got my wife and kids. Other than the food poisening it was a great trip.
                            Rob

Comment

In 2006 I drove my 1996 Ford F-150 a distance of 600+ miles to a city near Detroit, MI to get a 1964 Daytona hardtop that I purchased through Ebay. When I got there and gave the owner a cashiers check, I then went to the nearest U-haul facility and rented a car-dolly. The only drama I encountered was on the return trip as I turned off on a wrong exit and ended up going through eastern Chicago and I was lost for about 3 hours as I couldnt find an open on-ramp to the interstate due to road construction. Good times. [8D]

SnowLark
                              In the middle of Minnestudea
                              sigpic
                              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
                              X