Driving for your Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

In 07 I just got back from a driving trip to South Bend nationals in the motor home pulling my 67 Avanti to turn around and drive to Georgia to pick up my 64 full package super hawk so I guess you could say about 6000 miles to get a car one really nice car also and will be in the family for a long time.

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
    canbstudebakers-
    I must have been sleeping under a rock during the early sixties as I don't remember ever seeing them back them. Were they predominant or was I just too interested in girl chasing? Holy heck. What a beautiful car. Mr Bob, I don't suppose you would take a 1955 E-28 171 inch wheelbase as a partial trade. Please. It ain't pretty yet but I plan on a complete restoration. Sir Poops-A-Lot

Comment

I drove 450 miles just to look at my last acquisition , then turned around a week later and went back to get it .

[IMG]

Home of the Fried Green Tomato
      "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
      1964 Daytona HT
      1966 Daytona
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Back in 1980 I travelled from Vancouver BC to Pueblo Co to pick up a Champ and drive it home - about 1700 miles. 'Course, I was a lot younger then.

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island Chapter
        http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

1850 miles round trip to get a "field" car. Stupid impulsive acts should not be confined to the young.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
          "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

I only drove about 2 1/2 hrs to get mineI got lucky it would seem when compared to everyone else on here.

Comment

July of 1990, Lew Schucart and I left St. Louis on a Friday evening and drove my '63 GT overnight (12 hours) to Denver, bought a '64 Wagonaire in Longmont, and drove both cars back to St. Louis on Sunday. About 850 each way.

Out bound the GT lost its voltage regulator as the sun came up and about 100 miles east of Denver. Home bound we lost a couple of hours when the wagon's fan clutch went bad in mid Kansas. Bought a plain fan blade off the only Stude V-8 (an R truck)in a salvage yard and got home just fine.

Comment

Wagonaire Odyssey

Flew 2,130 mi. from San Francisco to Chicago Midway, then drove to 460 mi. to Storm Lake Iowa. No deal on that Bondo pig, so I proceeded ANOTHER 460 south to Carthage, MO where a deal was struck on a better one.

Drove 1950 miles at 50 mph over a period of 4 days with my father as co-pilot. It was his first time to see the Rockies, Moab, Canyonlands, etc...

We ate the most delicious steaks every night until the cost topped $10 (Denver)

Next to building a Soap Box Derby racer together, it was the best time either of us ever had!

Andy
                62 GT

Andy
                62 GT

Comment

All 15 miles with transmission fluids spewing all over the place while the car was on the trailor.

Alex Nelsen, 15 year old Studebaker nut.
                  1954 Champion Coupe
                  Lizella, GA
                  Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                  Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                  Lizella, GA

Comment

I flew from Detroit to Sacramento to look at my Packard hawk [8D]. Still had original tires on it and hadn't seen the road in 10 years. Sadly though I didn't get to drive it home either, but she's in my garage now!

Packardbakerly,
                    J.D.
                    sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                    J.D.

Comment

My car just followed me everywhere I went from the time we were born. It's come after me more than I have gone after it.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Vancouver to Saskatoon and back for a truck load of Stude parts in 1970. Fifty hours out of 72 on the road and 2600 miles round trip.

Terry

Comment

We drove about 2 miles to get Rose's Hawk.

Of course we had a flat tire about half way home!

My Daytona was about a 400 mile round trip. It rained about 1/2 the return trip.

From deep in the Ozarks...

Fred

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Back in 1980 I travelled from Vancouver BC to Pueblo Co to pick up a Champ and drive it home - about 1700 miles. 'Course, I was a lot younger then.

<h5>Mark
                            '57 Transtar Deluxe
                            Vancouver Island Chapter
                            http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

So was the truck!

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
                            http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Really good stories fellas. Makes me want to find one and go for it. poop till you droop

Comment

quote:Originally posted by The Poopmaster

How far have any of you here ever driven to pick up your Studebaker? What's the furthest I should drive on a potential wild goose chase. Pictures are little iffy. Don't ask me to post cause these are prints and I don't have a scanner. All I have is a lap top. poop-chop
                                My answer dosen't quite qualify as I flew to pick up a car, but I did drive it 3,000 miles back from Castro Valley, CA almost to Harpers Ferry, WV.
                                In 2002 I bought a late '64 Avanti R-2 with virtually every option off eBay from a seller in Castro Valley (SF Bay Area, home of Bob Peterson), CA. Wife and I flew to San Jose where a SDC member picked us up and took us to Bob Peterson's shop where he was keeping the car for us. We drove back by the southern route (I-5 to I-40) with two casualties along the way. First was a seized wheel bearing 45 miles east of Winslow, AZ and second was number 5 piston broke 30 miles from home (burned from running too lean due to a vacuum leak at the power brake check valve). First problem was solved by Chuck Collins, Phoenix overnighting us a complete spindle, rotor and hub assembly, repairs by a great shop in Winslow owned by a former Studebaker mechanic. Second problem was taken care of by a local SDCer picking us up at a sympathetic filling station where I limped in. Trailered the car home the next morning. Of course the engine had to be completely rebuilt including boring to .060 to get the gouge out of #5 cylinder wall.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                                X