Larkette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milaca,

Yes, I owned one of the Scouts for several years.
    I sold it to the www.scoutconnection.com in Iowa.
    Was going to buy a quarter midget for my son.
    That was the weekend Dale Sr. was killed at Daytona.
    Decided to get out of racing.
    My Scout was yellow.
    I think www.scoutconnection.com still had pictures of it on their web-site.

fstst56

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach

Just thought these things are cool. Would make a neat body style if I ever build a Lawn-Lark II[]

Chris, Sam Schpok according to a link owned Master Enterprises at Eau Claire, MI which is just north of Niles and South Bend. When I lived in Niles, Sam Schpok's name came up often as he was quite involved in the community and may have been involved in commercial buildings. There is a Rick Schpok leasing space/storage, etc. in Niles, but I think he lives in South Bend. He could be the son of Sam. A few phone calls might provide info on the molds for the Larkette. The Heald Hauler (ATV) and other Heald products were also made in Berrien Co. Many people live in one state and work in the other in Michiana.

"It's like deja vu all over again."--Yogi Berra
      "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I remember one for sale at York a few years back. It was not complete, but in pretty good condition from what I remember. Did not have the cash for it, but would have Loved to had it. I had a Chevy Jr go kart as a kid with a corvette body on it(I think they were given away at car shows), had way too much fun with it.

Take Care

george o

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Thanks for sharing the information Jack and thanks to Jim Geary for the research. Any chance the mold for the body is still around?

SnowLark
          In the middle of Minnestudea
          Master Enterprises had been owned by Sam Schpok who passed away about four years ago. A conversation with Rick Schpok, his son, revealed that the molds had been destroyed by his father. Rick Schpok said that he had been involved in the restoration of the Larkette in the Studebaker National Museum.

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Okay, if I ever have a kid, I gotta try to find one of those! (Instead of those goofy 'power wheels' things) Then I could paint it up to match my lark, and we could have father son bonding moments! (I doubt I would ever find one though)

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction.

Comment

Howdy Stude Fans. I know it is not a true Studebaker, but to a 5 year old, it sure seemed to be.
              Here is a post I just wrote on our Larkette. My Grandpa Perry was driving a Lark VIII Regal 4 dr at the same time. So I knew what the go cart was referencing.

I can't remember reading any Larkette stories, from original owners, "back in the day."

For me, it was fun thinking back on some old memories, before they are lost in time.

Enjoy....

Stude-Preferred

Comment

I was on highway 33 near Dave Lester and seen a 49 plymouth station wagon, i stopped at the guys place and he had a barn full of old pedal cars and had one apart on the bench. He said he raced them with his buddy's He said they used old Ford 6 volt starters and they would do about 40 mph and that was instant.
                101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                  I found this interesting as it served the same function as the Larkette. Has anybody ever seen one?
                  No, I've never seen one. But the drivers of those 1980 models in the above would now be driving this 1977 model:

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                    I was on highway 33 near Dave Lester and seen a 49 plymouth station wagon, i stopped at the guys place and he had a barn full of old pedal cars and had one apart on the bench. He said he raced them with his buddy's He said they used old Ford 6 volt starters and they would do about 40 mph and that was instant.
                    You were close, and didn't call? :-(

Now, just where is this barn that is close, that I don't know about? <G>
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

This is before i even knew of you, sorry Dave.
                      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                        This is before i even knew of you, sorry Dave.
                        No apology needed, then!
                        sigpic
                        Dave Lester

Comment

Larkette

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post
                          Master Enterprises had been owned by Sam Schpok who passed away about four years ago. A conversation with Rick Schpok, his son, revealed that the molds had been destroyed by his father. Rick Schpok said that he had been involved in the restoration of the Larkette in the Studebaker National Museum.

I restored the museum Larkette some time ago close to it's original colors. It sits in the basement level of the museum. Who ever painted it after Sam Schpok gave it to the museum, painted it orange brown. Ugly. not one of the original colors. It looks good now. I am making a roster of Larkette owners. I will send anyone a complete history and pictures that I have on this car by DropBox for free. Sam Schpok gave me all the information and factory pictures that he had. I sold my 2 Larkettes about 20 years ago. 1 was an original and the other a repro. I built the chassis for 10 repros and built 4 complete cars.
                          I do not believe the molds were destroyed. A Bill Vincent of Niles, MI made 100 bodies before closing that operation. The molds then went to Chicago and disappeared. here may have been a few made by that company. I have one of their flyers showing it. If anyone is interested please contact me thru our toy museum. www.dmltoymuseum.org. Jim Geary

Comment

I restored the museum Larkette some time ago close to it's original colors. It sits in the basement level of the museum. Who ever painted it after Sam Schpok gave it to the museum, painted it orange brown. Ugly. not one of the original colors. It looks good now. I am making a roster of Larkette owners. I will send anyone a complete history and pictures that I have on this car by DropBox for free. Sam Schpok gave me all the information and factory pictures that he had. I sold my 2 Larkettes about 20 years ago. 1 was an original and the other a repro. I built the chassis for 10 repros and built 4 complete cars.
                            I do not believe the molds were destroyed. A Bill Vincent of Niles, MI made 100 bodies before closing that operation. The molds then went to Chicago and disappeared. here may have been a few made by that company. I have one of their flyers showing it. If anyone is interested please contact me thru our toy museum.
                            www.dmltoymuseum.org
                            . Jim Geary

Comment

Working...
                            X