No announcement yet.

Looks good until you lift the tarp....!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks good until you lift the tarp....!

I was visiting my Grandmother today and noticied a beat up tarp covering a pickup.

Grandma tells me my cousin hauled it here for "storage until he has time to work on it". The tailgate showed 'Studebaker', so with my curiosity peaked, I went and lifted the tarp:

Not so bad from a distance, seen worse. Then I opened the doors and engine compartment. Looks like varmits have moved in for the winter! I carefully placed the tarp back on the 'project' and told Grandma to wish my cousin good luck!

1952 Champion
    1948 Land Cruiser
    1929 GE Dictator
    1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
    1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

Could be worse, at least the varments havent moved INSIDE the carb of internal working of the engine. Ive sean that before. One of the spare engines I had for the lawn-lark, mice moved into the air cleaner, carb, and valves![V][B)]

Chris Dresbach
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Great! That is a heavy duty pick up with the big 6 engine. Do your cousin a favor and tell him to lose that poly tarp. It would be better left uncovered than under the rust incubating plastic tarp. The moisture that tarp will retain underneath will do more harm than all the varmints you could stuff under the hood. It would be better to use a breathable canvas cover.

John Clary
        Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Exactly what I wish I could find a good deal on (free) close to me.

I am in the process of getting parts and pieces gathered up for the May 2010 South Bend Swap meet. How about you?

Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia
          Be sure to check out my eBay store

for your shiny Stude stuff.

More pix of the Cadillac powered Commander Coupe here...http://rides.webshots.com/album/575614086oFkgkX

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I HATE blue tarps! There should be a law against those cheaply made pieces of garbage! Water leaks through them even when new and they tear almost as easily as newspaper. If you buy new blue tarps, save yourself some hastle and throw them directly into the trash can. More Chinese garbage filling up American landfills. [B)]

Brent's rootbeer racer.
            MN iron ore...it does your body good.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I second the comments regarding the tarp....the funny thing is, I felt obligated to tie down the remaining shreds to some semblance of coverage as I was the one who had taken it off! Should have just told him it finally blew away!

I'm sure people have seen worse, just seems like there are lots of stories of "I'll get to it some day" and someday just never arrives.

1952 Champion
              1948 Land Cruiser
              1929 GE Dictator
              1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
              1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

Comment

That's a keeper! The cab floors and step wells look to be amazingly good shape as do the door bottoms in the one picture. The whiskey dings in the front fender can be fixed and as a 2R11 with the big 6 it will move down the road (it also appears to have O/D).

No need to find the key as the whole switch is missing. If some one does mess with it, be sure to have them use a good mask.

Seems odd that it has a single clearance marker light in the middle.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Seems odd that it has a single clearance marker light in the middle.
                  That's no clearance marker... it is the first NASCAR "ROOF CAM!" (ahead of their time, ya know)[8D]
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

WOW, your cousin found a nice one. This is a 1951 2R11-22 pickup- first year for the model. Serial number R11-1105 makes it the 904th 2R11 built (R11-101 to R11-3126 serial # range for 1951). Looks to be a very restorable truck or even a fixer-up. How about that chrome bumper!! I doubt many farmers ordered a chrome bumper on a 3/4 ton farm truck. Good Score.[8D][]

Frank Drumheller
                    Louisa, VA
                    60S-W6
                    1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

That's the kinda thing I was lookin for when I got my coupe. Wish I'd have stuck to my guns as I really want a pickup more than anything else. I'd be doin some fast talkin to my Grandma to get some pressure put on my cousin to do something with it, then I'd be buggin my cousin to death to let me buy it and get it on the road. Hey, when it comes to a Studebaker, all's fair in wheelin and dealin.........lol.

Jerry

Comment

Oh its all there except for the battery hold down!

husband of Lark VIII girl

Comment

Working...
                        X