Black and blue-normal ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black and blue-normal ???

The 57 Silver hawk we are restoring has a weathered, faded, black finish on the body.
    The factory order shows car was painted midnight black. So, probably it is the original
    finish still left on the car.
    BUT---inside the trunk lid is a medium blue as well as in the door hinge pockets.
    Question: Did Studebaker paint interior surfaces a different color than the exterior ??

Our plan is to repaint in the original black but wonder about the car interior surfaces.

Thanks,

...Dick Curtis
    The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

The visible interior painted surfaces were Interior Color, ie: door window & 1/4 Window frames.

The complete interior of doors, floors all covered items, would be the main body color.

Blue hinge pockets inside the door posts? This sounds more like a leftover '56 body the wrong color for '57, that was factory re-painted black! Pretty unusual if it happened, but not impossible.

Are there no signs of a body replacement, altered Serial Number plate etc.? Serial # not matching frame number or body number tag or title?
    I would match body and Serial numbers to the Production Order.

I would think you would have/or will notice if it was simply re-painted BLUE, and later Black again because you would be sanding through the Black to the Blue and to the Black again! [:0]

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Not uncommon if the car was in a wreck that used parts of a different color were used. A collision shop would have taken the time to refinish the underside, but an owner doing his own work may not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Not uncommon if the car was in a wreck that used parts of a different color were used.
        It highly unlikely that the cowl and door hinge post were replaced.

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Stude Rich
          "The visible interior painted surfaces were Interior Color, ie: door window & 1/4 Window frames."

So could the interior color have been blue? I don't recall seeing the blue anywhere but inside surface of the trunk lid and the hinge pockets. What's left of upholstery is red white and black combination.
          I'll post some photos later in the week (car is at my son's home about 35 miles away),
          with the places mentioned and see if the mystery can be better cleared by observation.
          Thank you all.

...Dick
          The 1950 Champion Starlight
          Santa Barbara
          CA

Comment

Working...
          X