Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Here is a pic titled '1962 Auto Show'.
    I see they're '63-model Studes. Interesting that they have the Avanti cordoned off. I wonder if it was a prototype that might have had some rough edges here and there if a spectator looked up-close and inside of it.

I thought the same thing about those '59 M-B cars as the earlier poster. Only M-B could get away with styling like that! And I've heard that some M-B's of that era weren't even that good of cars, either!

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    '64 Daytona Hardtop
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Was it at Ford's theater?

In the first shot...doesn't the Hawk look overly stubby? It looks worse than the Mercedes.

I have a hunch that there might be an issue with the photo or scanning (or something). All the cars look a bit off...I know that even the small Mercedes of the era (the 220s) aren't that stubby and neither is the Hawk.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

I thought the same thing about those '59 M-B cars as the earlier poster. Only M-B could get away with styling like that! And I've heard that some M-B's of that era weren't even that good of cars, either!

Bill Pressler
        Early in 1966, I went to the Studebaker/Mercedes Benz dealership in Poughkeepsie, NY. I was interested in a 1966 Daytona Sport Sedan. They had sold their last one a few hours earlier. I then looked at the M-Bs in stock. The salesman told me that I would be better off buying two Studebakers for the money. After we left that evening, we saw the '66 Daytona Sport Sedan in use in Poughkeepsie.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

Edit for typo
        SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I think you're right. The photo looks to be slightly stretched vertically. It looks like whoever did the digital processing thought that the wheels on the Lark sedan and wagon should show round instead of the slightly flattened look they would have had from the camera's perspective, and he stretched the vertical enough to make them appear round.

MikeV
          Pompano Beach, FL
          83 Avanti 377I

Comment

Hey that wagon now looks L o n g e r

More room..... woo hoo.....load it up!

ChopStu

142 weeks till completion.
            61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude
              Some folks attempt to resize pictures by dragging the top/bottom/either side this way or that way, rather than using methods that resize the overall photo.
              Advertising agencies have used that trick of stretching photos for decades to make cars appear 'longer, lower, and wider'.

Craig

Comment

I may have been at that show, I was a Junior in high school in Southwestern Minnesota and driving a 1951 Commander coupe painted '56 Dodge Royal Blue Metallic... the Duco enamel cost me a whopping $10 for a the gallon it took to paint it. The first Avanti I saw, I actually got a ride in by the Studebaker dealer in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. I was in college and drove my blue '51 to the dealership. It was gold... and FAST!

duane miller

Comment

Working...
                X