What to do with this Lark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with this Lark?

Saved this '61 Lark. It is a complete original car with its 259 V8 engine with automatic trans. It runs, drives and does have all its moldings but does need restoration. Needs better front fenders although these could be fixed. I would also like to find new seat covers and dash pad. The car was white with blue interior. We have just finished restoring one of our Packard Hawks. We have another waiting so not sure if we will have time restore this Lark but it would make a good driver if parts are available. Do not know anything about Larks but this car is quite appealing. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Russ

Russ - Avon Park, Fl.
    '58 Packard Hawk
    3-speed/OD

If I was you, I would load that thing up on a car hauler and send it to Venice - but that's just me.

Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

I was trying to buy that car a while ago( was on craigslist), the guy never returned any of my calls.Oh well

Orlando FLA
      Orlando FLA

Comment

According to previous owner he had car for 4 years and put it in his garage and took some of it apart, started to repaint it but never completed it. It sat in the garage apart until 3 months ago when he half put it back together to sell it. It looked forlorn sitting along the road so I bought it.

Russ - Avon Park, Fl.
        '58 Packard Hawk
        3-speed/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hawkhunter

[IMG]http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/karklutter/lark23-1.jpg
          Russ - Avon Park, Fl.
          '58 Packard Hawk
          3-speed/OD
          I can visulize that puppy cleaned up, Black from the trim level up and a dark silver gray on the bottom. Reversed chromes with small moon caps. gray interior with black shadow threads in it. Smoked windows. Yeah this one was worth saving it begs for a new run on the street.

Comment

First off - it's a HARDTOP!!! And second, it's a cool hardtop.[8D] Third, it's got two good '61 taillight lenses!!!

Wonder how that would look with '60 beltline mouldings and the '61 single headlite front?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Those lenses were the first thing I noticed![8D] Then hardtop! And V-8!
              If you don't have room for it, I could always add another garage.[)]

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I'd rather store a studebaker than drive a chevy.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

I'd rather store a studebaker than drive a chevy.
                  Amen!

A. Charles Eck, Jr.
                  Essex, MD

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

'64 Cruiser 'Louise'
                  '57 Commander 4 door sedan 'Bluebird'
                  '66 Ford F-250
                  '53 John Deere 50
                  '41 John Deere H All-Fuel
                  '41 John Deere B All-Fuel

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

First off - it's a HARDTOP!!! And second, it's a cool hardtop.[8D] Third, it's got two good '61 taillight lenses!!!
                    Wonder how that would look with '60 beltline mouldings and the '61 single headlite front?

I think you and I think of different things when discussing beltline mouldings, Biggsy. Correct me if I'm off base, (because you've forgotten more about Studes than I'll ever know) but the '60 beltline mouldings are actually already on it; almost exactly the same... front door tops and rear quarters. The side mouldings aren't. I think I know what you meant, though. In an effort just to change the '61 look they went above the body lines and made it look silly. They could have made fatter mouldings like they did anyway and just follow the proper lines of the 59-61 body sides, but no. Single headlights?? Yes!

That is a solid Hardtop and worth grabbing and getting to work! [^]

Comment

Looks like a nice car to start with, no matter what you ultimately decide to do with it. Wish it were parked in my driveway. Oh yeah, my vote is for four headlights and keeping the '61 trim bits... LH

"I'm allergic to small block Chevys."
                      Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

[] [] Call me biased, but the Hardtop looks like a good canidate to fix up and drive. If your not up to the task, my number is....[:0][)] [)] [)]

don't let those tail light lenses out of your site. You just can't find them with out $$$$$ to bring them out of the woods.

You should be able to find the trunk latch and striker pretty easy that way you could ditch that bungie cord.
                        -If your really serious about fixing it up I believe I have a trunk lock with key.

The Blacked out grill treatment is different,

Either way, keep pictures of your progress, or your intentions so the Lark obsessors can pounce and drool.

HOW'S THE FLOORS [?]

ChopStu

143 weeks till completion.
                        61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

61 two door hard top with original engine. White and blue is an excellent color combo. But I'm partial. Congrats on a great find!
                          Just dashes would be my pick to restore the padded dash. Going to send them mine this winter.

Al Reed
                          North Bay Area, CA
                          sigpicAl Reed
                          North Bay Area, CA
                          1961 Lark Regal Skytop
                          1953 Commander Starlight

Comment

How much$$$ would it take for it to move to So.Ga.? I don't have a 61. Send me an Email. NT

Neil Thornton
                            Hazlehurst, GA
                            '57 Silver Hawk
                            '56 Sky Hawk
                            '51 2R16 dump truck
                            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

barnlark says........"but the '60 beltline mouldings are actually already on it; almost exactly the same... front door tops and rear quarters."

Well Dave, you MAY have me on a technicality, but I won't go down without offering a defense (even tho I don't feel the need for such).

While our convertibles as well as the hardtops of (58)& 59 thru 64 (Larks and Lark Types that is - I clarify this because if I DON'T....someone's gonna pipe up and say "Not Hawks!") have those pot metal mouldings around the lower edges of the windows. For years I've referred to those as "upper beltline mouldings". This as opposed to "beltline mouldings" used to typify the pieces that that run roughly analagous to where a guy wears his belt. I don't know about you, but my belt does duty closer to my waist than my chest.

It drives me nuts when folks call bumpers, "bumbers". So do these folks relate an incident in a crowd or a chance meeting with a friend as having "bummed into someone"??? But I usually just leave it be. And I've found that when I'm talking about "beltline mouldings" when I might should say "side mouldings", the inferrance isn't lost on whoever I'm talking to. Of course, whoever I'm talking with might already know that a Lark Regal 4-door isn't gonna sport those pot metal brightworks where one's arm rests on a sunny day drive.

But for the sake of being technically correct, I shall henceforth try my best to get my belts and sides in proper perspective.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1963 Cruiser
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X