CAUTION- OFF TOPIC --- BUT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAUTION- OFF TOPIC --- BUT

As many of you know we have been taking care of my mother for the past 3, almost 4 years.She was 98 years old. This past Friday she died and this past Saturday she also died. PLEASE, whatever you do, no matter how hard it is to think about, please get every member in your family to write out and sign a DNR.

Mom developed pneumonia and on Friday was taken in for chest X-rays and a treatment to open up her lungs, something akin to Spiriva. WHen Ellen got her home they wheeled her to the steps leading to the house and then were going to carry her up the three steps. After the first step, she went limp and stopped breathing. Ellen called 911 and 9 min later there were police, and paramedics working on my mother.

Mind you, she had had no oxygen for nearly 10 minutes. Ellen was mom's Health Care Proxy, but my mother had refused to sign an "out of hospital DNR". There were words exchanged and the paramedics spent about 15 minutes on our sidewalk, and another 20 in the ambulance to
    "BRING MOM BACK", but she was brain dead. My mother did not want tubes inserted to keep her alive, she wanted nothing more than some drug therapy. Over the years when asked to sign a DNR she would tell the doctors that "the children, Ellen and Billy would know what to do".

They kept this poor brain dead woman alive for an extra day until we could get them to remove all the tubes, which once in place cannot be removed as it would kill the patient. Finally Saturday at a little past 2 they consented to remove the tubes as we found a doctor that was willing to test for signs of life. Once no signs were found we could let mom pass away.

Please, take 10 min out of your lives, write down your wishes as how you want to behandled medically have it signed and notarized and save your family and your self this hell that we went through.(When I say the Hell we went through, please understand mom was brain dead and was on a morphine drip and a mchine with breathing for her, she felt nothing) Please make up a sheet saying to DNR or try everything to bring you back.

It took almost 24 hours for mom to pass away with some dignity. What was laying on that hospital bed was a medical experiment, not my mother.

Sorry for the rant

Bill

Sorry to hear about your Mother Bill. But Thanks for the reminder.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

You have had so many things happen to you and Ellen this year, Bill. My goodness. I'm sorry your mother had to have her life end like that, twice. My family's thoughts and prayers are with you and Ellen. 98 years was a good ride and she was lucky to have you both take care of her.

Comment

Bill
        I am deeply saddened to hear of your Mom's passing. If you remember, I met her the day I was at your place. She was a sweet lady. On behalf of the Nutmeg Chapter, please accept my heartfelt condolences.

Chip
        '63 Cruiser daily driver
        '57 Packard wagon on the road!
        Chip
        '63 Cruiser
        '57 Packard wagon
        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Very sorry to hear of your loss Billy.

Very important reminder to everyone to put your wishes in writing. Many states have severe interpretations of written wishes, so be sure that what you write conforms to your state.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Sorry for your loss Billy. Thanks for taking the time to write this. It may be the most important thing that most of us read today.

Doug

1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

Our prayers are with you and your family.

Comment

Bill.My Wife and I send our deepest sympathies to you and Ellen. Hope your Mom is enjoying her new home in Heaven...Rich

Comment

Sorry for your loss Bill... and rants are quite OK at these times (good advice).

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  Vancouver Island Chapter
                  http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Thank you for sharing Bill and sorry for your loss. Just a time in our life that we pass through unto a better place. God bless. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I'm very sorry for your loss, it's never easy to lose a parent or child, and having to go through it twice is unspeakable. 98 is a good run at it, that's for sure!
                      I appreciate as well the DNR reminder. I had an uncle that spent 8 years in a coma because he did not have a DNR - In my eyes, its just as important a document as a will.

j

Comment

I am sorry for your loss, Bill and Ellen. Thank you for being so thoughtful at a difficult time as to share such good advice.

My Mom is 92 and has a DNR, but your message reminded me that my family and I should each have one of our own. I'll get it taken care of - thank you.

Regards-
                        John Stine
                        46 M5 Pickup

Comment

Add my condolences to the growing pile, my friend. And of course, good advice; not only do I have that, I have a detailed will.

Hope the arrangements go off as easily as possible under the circumstances.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Bill, I am so sorry to hear about your mom's passing. You and yours will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers.

Your advice here to the rest of us is certainly sound. Thanks for it.

Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

May her memory be for blessing.

Brad
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X