No announcement yet.

safety first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The NHSTA has a whole catagory called "Non-Driving Car Accidents." http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/26/2679.asp If you add up the jack incidents (not involving a tire, and with tire), there are ~ 10,000 such accidents yearly. My point is simply that thousands of avoidable jack accidents happen every year - most never make the news. I think that if you researched those accidents the overwhelming link would be using the wrong jack or jackstand holding tools - like the chair holding the Yugo.

My dear old dad was a professional mechanic and he really laid into me about making sure a jacked car was properly supported. Yet, he finally slipped up one day and had a van roll onto him - not enough to kill him, but it was many months before he was good again.

Now when I have jacked a car and lowered it onto jackstands I give the car a good tug to see that it really will stay in place. If its going to slip I want it to happen then - rather then when I am underneath.

Thomas

Comment

I posted a generic safety statement.
      There was not finger pointing intended, but the original post was put in for reference.
      There was nothing personal meant to anyone in particular.
      But info posted here does need to be clear, consice, and of course....safe.
      That never changes.
      No forgiveness is needed, because no wrong was committed.
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 4961Studebaker
      You were supposed to figure out what I meant not what I typed I re read my post yesterday, and forgot to make a change.
      I should have typed JACKSTAND. Kdancy clearly said jackstand in her post, STILL, hitting a jackstand while loosening a tough nut, becomes a scary moment. Forgive me [?]
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
      X