No announcement yet.

My new storage building!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerry, that's probably the 283 "Hi-Torque" engine specifically for trucks; and bulletproof! Definitely a nice piece.

As for the bus: I still haven't gutted it. It seems too nice to junk, even though I can't think of a realistic reason to fix it.

Last year I tried to build a little pole barn here; 28x40, just to house unrestored Studes. I had big hassles with town requirements, but mostly contractors that made promises but ultimately decided it wasn'ta big enough job to bother with. So instead I have a line on 2 box semi trailers at $500 each, plus $100 each for delivery. They're 53' long, so they'll take 3 Studes end to end with a big extra space for storage.

No pole barn, but I can have these; sturdy, off the ground, cheap, and not property taxable. They'll be out back out of sight, and maintenance free. Thanks, town of Mexico!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

LOL. Would you believe I also have a freight trailer for storage. It was a UPS trailer originally. The drop frame construction sure gives a lot of storage area.

quote:Originally posted by bams50

So instead I have a line on 2 box semi trailers at $500 each, plus $100 each for delivery. They're 53' long, so they'll take 3 Studes end to end with a big extra space for storage.
      Jerry Forrester
      Douglasville, Georgia
      Be sure to check out my eBay store
      http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_ and my EZ33 store http://tinyurl.com/2g2j88
      for your shiny Stude stuff

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Hey, Bams
        The bus may be a good solution for you, but I have no place to hide one.

Here's an idea:

A friend of mine here in NC made a cool metal building for his welding/muffler shop by placing two long cargo trailers parallel on each side of a wide cement slab, then bridging the two with roof trusses, then installed metal roofing. He used his torch to cut side doors on the inside walls of the trailers, and uses one trailer as an office, and the other as a lockable tool room and steel stock/ muffler and pipes storage.

I TRIED TO DRAW IT WITH POWERPOINT

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
        53 Starliner Hardtop
        Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Bob has the right idea, but use shipping containers instead of trailers. No need to remove the axles and landing gear and a lot stronger construction. Anyone can use an axe to get into a trailer, not so with a shipping container. Just be sure that you use some type of hurricane strap to attach the trusses to the containers.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

You know, I've been thinking about doing the same thing myself. I realize that my still-unfinished shop won't have enough room for parts and parts cars.

I was thinking 3 shipping containers (sea cans) arranged in a "U" on a gravel pad. Build box beams to support an almost-flat roof, with just enough arch on it that water won't pool. The flat roof would then become a sun deck. I could do just about the same with two containers.
            Since the entire structure is "portable", it shouldn't add to my tax assessment. I'd also paint the exposed sides of the containers in some sort of camo scheme to break up the outline and relieve a little of the ugliness. For doors, I'm thinking sliders or else double-hinged, as I can build either myself. I'd also plan on equipping the sea cans with little ventilating fans powered by solar panels. You don't have to move a lot of air, if the air flow is constant all day long.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

With an almost flat roof, would there not be a danger of snow breaking it down? I always figured that I would like a higher pitch roof with a loft for storing bulky items like hoods,fenders, seats and such.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona. Searcy,Arkansas
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

That's a great idea! But it wouldn't work for me. We have so much snow I need a high snow-load capability, which means a steep pitch. By the time I got enough pitch on that type of structure, it's probably cheaper to just build a steel building.

But it does have me thinking....

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

About the shipping container idea...
                  Wouldn't your building inspectors have something to say about it?

Around here they're real Nazis.

Okay maybe not Nazis...they've never established any labor camps and haven't bombed London.
                  But I'm pretty sure they're at least fascists.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

My understanding is that here in rural Alberta, it's not considered a building if it is not on a foundation. Shipping containers are popular for storage in industrial and farm applications. By roofing over a pair, I'd be stretching the definition a bit, but they have to WANT to do something about it.

We don't tend to get a lot of snow here, and when it comes, it's usually accompanied by high winds, so an elevated deck would be kept swept clear for the most part.

Comment

Reminds me of a tire shop in Santa Monica that wanted to cover a parking area. The city wanted him to take out a building permit. He found out that if it wasnt on a foundation, he didnt need one. He ended up putting some solid steel wheels on the bottom frame & really put some burr up the butt of the city inspectors, but they couldnt do a thing!
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Is the restroom anything like an aircraft rest room? I have always wanted one. No I AM SERIOUS. Billy Crystal the Comedian bought one and has it in his home. Hooked up right, it would be great in my garage/laundry area so I don't have to run up 20 steps to take a "rest".

Comment

That's a great idea, Bill! Never thought of that.

It does look like an aircraft bathroom, and it's complete and good shape. I'll send a couple pics.

It's got to come out for me to use the space for cars. It's yours free if you want it.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                          X