'60 Marshal Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '60 Marshal Updates

My first post was getting a bit long, so I thought I'd start one for updates on my '60 Lark Marshal. There's a lot of info already posted if you want to check it out.
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...556-New-Member
    I've got it back in the main garage because my convertible left today, but it's going to a good home for a full restoration. I did check out the diff and it is just an open Dana 44 with a single tag 43 14 3.07 just like the production order specs. I pulled the front clip off and can see why it was changed, probably in a fender bender at one time. I got an e-mail from Andy at the archives and he said he would check into the file with the Milwaukee police cars to see what he could find. I'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by Skinnys Garage; 04-04-2013, 06:06 PM. Reason: fixed link
    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Thanks for the update. The Studebaker scripts on those front fenders are cooler, anyway.

Comment

Dave the little package got here today but still no TW...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

I'm done with mine, already. I'll send you mine and see if it gets there first.

Comment

I finally scrolled down to the bottom of the photo Richard sent me days ago. It's from the back side of the original photo of the Milwaukee police cars from the March '06 TW back cover. After I got the archive file number I never paid much attention to the rest - until tonight! The photo has a stamping of the original photographer, address etc and below that a date - May 14 1960. My PO shows that my car was built on July 7th 1960, so my car is NOT in that photo! I can't believe I missed that the first time, but I just changed my screen resolution so I don't have to scroll back and forth to see everything on the screen. So the search continues for info on my factory hot rod Lark.
          Last edited by Skinnys Garage; 01-23-2018, 08:38 PM.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skinnys Garage

I finally scrolled down to the bottom of the photo Richard sent me days ago. It's from the back side of the original photo of the Milwaukee police cars from the March '06 TW back cover. After I got the archive file number I never paid much attention to the rest - until tonight! The photo has a stamping of the original photographer, address etc and below that a date - May 14 1960. My PO shows that my car was built on July 7th 1960, so my car is NOT in that photo! So the search continues for info on my factory hot rod Lark.
            Your only other resource maybe waiting at the main Milwaukee Public Library on microfilm. There's a good chance the Milwaukee Journal could have also published a photo or two of the MPD's acquisition of all those Larks, not to mention other possible photos of them involved in accident or crime scenes when they were in service. The downside is that you may have to spend a fair amount of time to come up with anything as it will be a bit of a 'needle-in-the-haystack' effort.

Craig

Comment

Nothing to exciting this time, just mounted some vintage tires I had laying around and "Velvet Black" wheels like the PO specifies. Getting a shopping list ready for SASCO, hopefully I'll be heading that direction in about a week.
              Last edited by Skinnys Garage; 01-23-2018, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Cool Torino, too, Skinny!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard
                http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Clark, I've got a long history with that car too.
                  Last edited by Skinnys Garage; 01-23-2018, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Scott, your car had to be one of the last 1960 cars built before the 1961 production began. I'm not sure of that last production date, (someone will) but that's getting pretty close to the end in July. Not sure the paper would still be taking pictures in July of any new cars being ordered after May, though. Pretty slow news day stuff, since it was old news by then. I have called in a request, for a small fee, of an archivist to search for interesting items like that when they get a chance. It is one of the things at which they are good, if their interest is piqued. You may get lucky. [8D]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Scott, your car had to be one of the last 1960 cars built before the 1961 production began. I'm not sure of that last production date, (someone will) but that's getting pretty close to the end in July. Not sure the paper would still be taking pictures in July of any new cars being ordered after May, though. Pretty slow news day stuff, since it was old news by then. I have called in a request, for a small fee, of an archivist to search for interesting items like that when they get a chance. It is one of the things at which they are good, if their interest is piqued. You may get lucky. [8D]
                      Dave-
                      Ask and you shall receive:
                      1960 car production ended July 22, 1960
                      1961 car production (South Bend) started August 26, 1960
                      1961 car production (Hamilton) started September 20, 1960.

Skip Lackie
                      Washington DC
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks for the help and info guys, they were cutting it pretty close on getting it built from a March order.

I've got a question about SASCO's interior panel inventory. The website doesn't show any interior parts, but I understand they have quite the collection. I plan on calling for info before I go, but can anybody tell me more about what they have? Is it sorted and easy to locate or will it take time to dig? I'll be passing through there in about a week and have budgeted about 1-1/2 hours to SASCO - is that enough? Hopefully I can find some panels for the Marshal.
                        Last edited by Skinnys Garage; 01-23-2018, 08:42 PM.

Comment

I hope you have some luck. As I understand it, the interior stuff is only made available on certain occasions. I went to the 07 Meet and they were all out, with folks rooting through them. It amounts to a large room with massive stacks of this stuff, the vast majority of which is not sorted or in any order. If I had the time then, I would have loved searching for what I needed. Instead I planned on returning, specifically for that purpose.

Last October, I delivered a car to SB, and as part of that trip, set aside a full day to search the door panels and seat covers. To my dismay, I discovered that all this had been made off-limits to the public They understandably don't have time (or interest) to search for needles in that haystack, so I left without what I needed. Dave was able to look up panels that were still in boxes, and found me four panels for a Wagonaire, plus a NOS vanity and some other things. While I didn't leave empty-handed, I went away thinking about all those musty panels and seat covers not getting any better, nor going to my caring shop.......

I see that they were again made available for the May meet, which I was unable to attend. I sure wish I could have one shot at the pile before it goes off to the dump at the end of the year... just don't see it happening...

If it comes to that, I'll try to make a deal on the lot. I'll haul it back to NY and make sorting and dry-storing them for future restorers; I'd make it my mission.

Till then, best of luck.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Most soft interior parts are not listed in the Stude parts books. SASCO has a "special" parts book that is used to look up part numbers and locations for those materials. Most of SASCO's made-up and boxed interior panels are for 64-66 Lark types. There are a few items for 62 and 63 models, but not much before. That said, SASCO does have quite a few rolls of material (vinyl, cloth) for earlier models, so you might be able to get the correct material, if you want to have some seat covers or door panels made. Your best bet would be to call Dave and ask what he has.

In general, SASCO knows what boxed, part-numbered items it has in stock. But many of the big rolls of material are not well inventoried, and there are also many items that were left over from the production line. These are not in boxes and are generally not marked with part numbers. These latter items are brought out for meets so that customers can root through and maybe find something they recognize.

SASCO has a retail area on the first floor that is laid out like a store. Due to insurance considerations, they generally have not allowed customers to go rooting through the back room or upper floors. I don't know if their current situation has caused them to modify any of their procedures. Again, recommend you call and discuss your plans with Dave or Dennis.

Skip Lackie
                            Washington DC
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

I'm helping a friend haul a car to Virginia again (third time!) and I decided to make a little detour to South Bend to see SASCO and visit the new museum. The last time I was there with my wife it was on a weekend in '02, so we only got to visit the (old) museum and drive around the old Studebaker buildings. I wasn't getting my hopes up on finding any interior parts, but do plan on shopping for other stuff and seeing the place before it's gone. I plan on giving them a call about the interior stuff a few days before we leave just in case.
                              Last edited by Skinnys Garage; 01-23-2018, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X