Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

But wheels and tires are cosmetic, and can be easily changed.
    You're right. Easy (and cheap) to change. I'd change them prior to putting it up for sale.

Not everyone has a good imagination when it comes to visualizing the car with better proportioned wheels and tires.

Yea, I would have missed it, but I won't bother do to the expense. I'll mention it in the listing, but let the new owner decide what tires and wheels to run.

That might have been one of the reasons the PO had trouble getting market value for it.

A good looking car otherwise...and sorry I pizzed you off [:I]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Yea, I would have missed it, but I won't bother due to the expense. I'll mention it in the listing, but let the new owner decide what tires and wheels to run.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Jeff,
      I would very much appreciate an "online diary" of the current condition and blow-by-blow account of the fixes and solutions to bring this car to market properly. Folks who are interested in buying an Avanti should be somewhat independent minded as the marque has always been a love it or hate it thing and a lightning rod for praise and derision, equally. I would think an online documentation of the project could be an effective sales tool even with any negative comments. Maybe even more effective because of them. "There is no such thing as bad press."

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
      Jim
      Often in error, never in doubt
      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

My point was not who owns it, ..........
        OK..My rant is over
        Jeff[8D]

Very well put. I believe that the critiquing on the forum can be detrimental to the sale. Can it be stopped? Probably not. Can it be done with a little more class? You bet! I feel if you need to point out a problem with a car, you should have a solution to the problem. Critique my car and I hope you have solutions for its deficiencies.

I look at JDP with a lot of appreciation. How many people have benefited from his cars. They may not all be perfect, but he has given a lot of cars a second chance and has made it a lot easier for the new owner to get the car of their dreams. I would buy a car from JDP in a heart beat if the right opportunity arises.

Carey
        Packard Hawk

Carey
        Packard Hawk

Comment

I'll try Jim...
          Pretty busy right now...
          Here's the sail panels...before on the RHS and after on the LHS..
          And the after has no dressing on it...
          Just cleaned.....

And before....

The PO loved to 'dress' the interior with vinyl dressing...
          It is thick on everything...
          Mixed up a bucket of Murphy's Vegetable Oil soap and used a 'Magic Eraser' sponge to clean the interior (no harsh chemicals.
          Did have to use some adhesive remover in spots to get the glue off of pieces that were un-stuck and hanging out...

Door is all repaired and the 'glass is curing right now..
          Pic's on that later...
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by jlmccuan

Jeff,
          I would very much appreciate an "online diary" of the current condition and blow-by-blow account of the fixes and solutions to bring this car to market properly. Folks who are interested in buying an Avanti should be somewhat independent minded as the marque has always been a love it or hate it thing and a lightning rod for praise and derision, equally. I would think an online documentation of the project could be an effective sales tool even with any negative comments. Maybe even more effective because of them. "There is no such thing as bad press."
          Jim
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

This one should be labeled "Things I learned about Avanti's Today"..

(One)
            Don't mess with the rear speaker screws if you know what's good for you.

Tried to remove the grill to paint it....

Only one screw came out.
            That's when my inquisitive mind asked "How do you get to those nuts?"
            After some searching, I found the plate under the back wall carpeting in the trunk.
            The Mafia will never use an Avanti for a hit[B)]
            After getting the nut back on, I masked off, carefully sanded, and painted the grille right where it was...

Turned out real nice.

More later...
            Jeff[8D]

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

After getting the nut back on, I masked off, carefully sanded, and painted the grille right where it was...

Far be it for me to question anyone's mechanical work....BUT
              Won't the paint overspray mess up the speaker?

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

No worse than the radio will
                I slid in the mask paper as far as possible to keep the paint away from the cone....
                I'm sure some might have gotten on it, but I used three real light coats of paint.
                There was hardly any overspray on the mask paper right under the grille when I pulled it out, so I doubt it is on there thick enough to hurt it....
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE
                Far be it for me to question anyone's mechanical work....BUT
                Won't the paint overspray mess up the speaker?

Jeff

Comment

Got the drivers door finished tonight (except for touch up paint)...
                  Cleaned the seats and put the drivers seat back in...
                  Nothing that has been cleaned has any 'dressing' of any type on it.

As a side note....
                  Due to several requests, I put the progress pic's and tossed them up on Webshots...
                  Some editing needs to be done and some might be out of order, but what's been done so far is there....

Showertime....
                  Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Jeff

Comment

As far as overspray on the speaker, I would think anyone concerned with hi-fidelity won't be using the rear speaker from a 45 year old system with an AM radio. Even if it has the more rare AM/FM it isn't stereo. Maybe from a visual point, but you have to be in a unique position to see much detail of the rear speaker cone.

Was the vinyl dressing yellowed and sticky? Maybe made even worse if the PO's smoked? Anyone who cleans the inside of an Avanti rear window will never allow anyone to smoke in the car again.

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
                    Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt
                    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Got the drivers door finished tonight (except for touch up paint)...
                      Cleaned the seats and put the drivers seat back in...
                      Nothing that has been cleaned has any 'dressing' of any type on it.

As a side note....
                      Due to several requests, I put the progress pic's and tossed them up on Webshots...
                      Some editing needs to be done and some might be out of order, but what's been done so far is there....

Showertime....
                      Jeff[8D]

Crap, that workmanship on the door repair kinda makes me jealous.

JDP/Maryland
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

I thought the quiddity overspray comment was funny[]
                        As far as the interior?
                        No, I don't think it was a smokers car.
                        The LR ashtray has the bottom rusted through![:0]
                        I think it is several decades of wipe on conditioners, and their residue.
                        After it is cleaned off it looks nice.
                        Only a few places where there is a hint of staining, and even those just look like a shadow...
                        The trim pieces at the roofline need the most work, but getting them off without damaging them is my next challenge.
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by jlmccuan

As far as overspray on the speaker, I would think anyone concerned with hi-fidelity won't be using the rear speaker from a 45 year old system with an AM radio. Even if it has the more rare AM/FM it isn't stereo. Maybe from a visual point, but you have to be in a unique position to see much detail of the rear speaker cone.

Was the vinyl dressing yellowed and sticky? Maybe made even worse if the PO's smoked? Anyone who cleans the inside of an Avanti rear window will never allow anyone to smoke in the car again.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff

Thanks for posting the fix on the fiberglass door/jam. One of the great parts of this site is the number of members that will take the time to document these repairs for the multitude.

I don't have an Avanti but I'll store the data in the only remaining mind site I have that does not have CRS for future reference. The tips could come in handy on other projects.

My lack of an Avanti brings me to my second thought. If you tire of viewing that "Ugly " Avanti, I'll volunteer to store it out of your sight.

It would require great sacrifice on my part to do same: Hooking the trailer to the Silverado and driving to GA. from MI. with the attendent fuel cost, Removing a current project from the pole barn to free up room and Trying to navigate through GA. with a new Garmin that can't find it's butt with either hand.

I'd probably also provide a 30 pack of stress-reduction-elixir to reduce the angst. [^]

But thats why they call me sweetolbob.

Let me know if I can be of service.

Bob

Comment

Might be yellowed from fuel tank fumes. My Avanti interior had a coat
                            of gook all over, pulled the back seat and found a "waterwall" of fuel
                            had been running down behind the seat & pooling under the seat bottom.

Worth a check.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

The seat has been out for a while.
                              Spotless clean back there.
                              Had the access plate off to get to the speaker nuts, and checked the fuel sender wires while in there...
                              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

Might be yellowed from fuel tank fumes.
                              My Avanti interior had a coat of gook all over,
                              pulled the back seat and found a "waterwall" of fuel
                              had been running down behind the seat & pooling under the seat bottom.
                              Worth a check.

Jeff

Comment

I thought the quiddity overspray comment was funny[]
                                My question about the rear speaker was semi-serious, I wasn't trying to be a wise guy.
                                I was afraid you might have overlooked the overspray issue.
                                Paint on a 45 year-old (probably trash) speaker wouldn't help it.
                                If I stated the obvious, sorry, that's my specialty.
                                Imagine poor Allen Barth answering my questions while he restores my car.

The LR ashtray has the bottom rusted through![:0]
                                So did mine. Wonder why? Water leak from the rear vent windows?
                                No signs in my car of a past smoker. If there was, the smell is long gone by now, overcome with more typical old car smells.
                                My interior vinyl was a bit sticky...probably from an ancient dressing of some sort.

But, the original seat material looked like new, Studebaker used lonmg lasting, hard wearing vinyl in Avantis. I had to recover the front seats with a JDP kit due to a tear in the drivers seat and the need to repad the front seats (money very well spent). My upholstery shop talked me into installing the back seat cover too, even though the old one looked great.
                                It was as hard as a rock, the new stuff is much nicer.

BTW..is that the original red & black carpet?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                                63 Avanti R1 2788
                                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                                X