This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '60 Lark Wagons vs '53 Starliners

Since I've been focused on my '60 Lark Wagon these past few weeks, I pulled out my August 1990 TW with a Fred Fox article on '60 Larks.

I was surprised to learn that only 5,711 of my wagon (4 door, Deluxe trim, V8) were produced and that only 18,797 4 door wagons in total were produced (Deluxe and Regal, 6 and V8).

I tend to think of the 1953 Starliner Hardtop as a fairly rare Studebaker, but 32,294 of these were produced...almost double the 1960 4 door Lark Wagons.

Interesting.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Yeah, but you confuse rarity with desirability. My 65 Cruiser is 1 of 791 1965 Cruisers built with the 6 cylinder engine. Only 589 were built with the 6 banger and automatic. Does that make it rare. Yup. Desireable.

No[}].

Granted, your wagon is probably much more desirable than a 4-door Cruiser, at least I desire your wagon[]!

Comment

Yeah, but you confuse rarity with desirability. My 65 Cruiser is 1 of 791 1965 Cruisers built with the 6 cylinder engine. Only 589 were built with the 6 banger and automatic. Does that make it rare. Yup. Desireable.

No[}].

Granted, your wagon is probably much more desirable than a 4-door Cruiser, at least I desire your wagon[]!

Comment

Ya know - we had a person here just a week or so ago that had purchased his first Stude and it was a '63 Lark of some sort (maybe 62, I can't recall and I'm too lazy to search it out! [xx(])
        Thing is, 63 Larks abound, but when you start dividing them up by engine and trim level, you start to come up with some fairly small numbers. I remember being struck by the production tally of this particular Lark because while I've always thought of my 57 President 2-door as "rare" with 836 units built, this particular Lark, by virtue of engine and trim, saw just over a thousand units built. Really minescule numbers by today's standards!
        Of course, to us Stude nuts, it's just a 63 Lark - and collectively, there was a fair number of those made.

Consider that GM called their first-year Saturn Sky roadsters, "Limited Edition" at ONLY 12K built![:0][}]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Ya know - we had a person here just a week or so ago that had purchased his first Stude and it was a '63 Lark of some sort (maybe 62, I can't recall and I'm too lazy to search it out! [xx(])
          Thing is, 63 Larks abound, but when you start dividing them up by engine and trim level, you start to come up with some fairly small numbers. I remember being struck by the production tally of this particular Lark because while I've always thought of my 57 President 2-door as "rare" with 836 units built, this particular Lark, by virtue of engine and trim, saw just over a thousand units built. Really minescule numbers by today's standards!
          Of course, to us Stude nuts, it's just a 63 Lark - and collectively, there was a fair number of those made.

Consider that GM called their first-year Saturn Sky roadsters, "Limited Edition" at ONLY 12K built![:0][}]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser
            Mark, I'll trade you my (desirable?) wagon any day for that beautiful Cruiser. In fact...I'll give you the FULL PRICE shown on your original window sticker IN ADDITION to my wagon [:0] (such a deal!).

Any Stude in the like new condition of yours, with all the original documentation you have is quite special. In addition, the '65s were VERY attractive cars []. You'll never find another one like that!

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Mark, I'll trade you my (desirable?) wagon any day for that beautiful Cruiser. In fact...I'll give you the FULL PRICE shown on your original window sticker IN ADDITION to my wagon [:0] (such a deal!).

Any Stude in the like new condition of yours, with all the original documentation you have is quite special. In addition, the '65s were VERY attractive cars []. You'll never find another one like that!

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Even fewer 60 Lark "2dr." wagons.

Mike

Comment

Even fewer 60 Lark "2dr." wagons.

Mike

Comment

I appreciate that Dick, and don't get me wrong, I do love my Cruiser. But....4 door sedans just aren't worth much money no matter how rare or documented they are.

Actually, what you said is probably not a bad deal[8D].

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I appreciate that Dick, and don't get me wrong, I do love my Cruiser. But....4 door sedans just aren't worth much money no matter how rare or documented they are.

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'll take my 'less then desirable' sedans (and wagon) over a C/K or Avanti any day of the week~ and twice on Sundays!!!
                        Four of my cars' numbers look like this~
                        • '57 Parkview- 738 produced
                        • '57 Commander 'DeLuxe' 2door sedan- 2072 produced
                        • '57 Champion 'Custom' 2door sedan- 1751 produced
                        • '58 Packard sedan- 1200 produced
                        For me it's not about the value to others, it's about what the car is worth to ME. I grew up in the back of one of them, the other two are her sisters. The Packard is one I've always wanted, and couldn't pass up the irresistable deal I was given.
                        It's nice having rides that are out of the ordinary...

StudeDave [8D]
                        V/P San Diego County SDC
                        San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                        '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                        '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                        '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                        '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                        '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I'll take my 'less then desirable' sedans (and wagon) over a C/K or Avanti any day of the week~ and twice on Sundays!!!
                          Four of my cars' numbers look like this~
                          • '57 Parkview- 738 produced
                          • '57 Commander 'DeLuxe' 2door sedan- 2072 produced
                          • '57 Champion 'Custom' 2door sedan- 1751 produced
                          • '58 Packard sedan- 1200 produced
                          For me it's not about the value to others, it's about what the car is worth to ME. I grew up in the back of one of them, the other two are her sisters. The Packard is one I've always wanted, and couldn't pass up the irresistable deal I was given.
                          It's nice having rides that are out of the ordinary...

StudeDave [8D]
                          V/P San Diego County SDC
                          San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                          '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                          '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                          '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                          '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                          '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Yea it is....for you

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yea it is....for you

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X