How to know if a Stude (or X) has Rust issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craig--

D'oh! Thanx...didn't even see that...hunted it down and re-read it anyway...still plenty funny. (Had forgotten about the appearance by the Allstate Clunker ad...featuring my Lark, more or less!...in the same thread.)

S.

Comment

That Daytona I parted out last year, it was a Florida coastal car. The pass. side door and A pillar fell off of it as well.

Once my granddad and I went to fetch a rusted out '60 Hawk. When we loaded it on the trailer, the guy says "Oh, before you go, I need my chains back."

"What chains?"

"I chained the rear axle to the front end to keep the axle from rolling out from under the car."

[B)]

Also, I think the back bumper fell off somewhere along the highway, too.

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

You leave a rust colored trail as you drive in the rain. The sloshing of the water in the rear quarters gets annoying('51 Pontiac two door).

Comment

If you lower the tailgate on your '78 Blazer, you have to park at a angle in the road ditch to get the rear of the truck to twist enough to get it shut again. I think he later put a 2x4 between the frame and the rear body corner to keep it from sagging any farther....

This was the case with a person I know. That heap also had no lower door hinges and rags stuffed all around the perimeter of the body so his tools wouldn't fall out on the ground. The driver's door striker had a 1" stack of washers so the latch would meet up with it.

My father used to talk about someone's Nash that he drove into town and parked on the street. While he was in the store, it broke in two in the middle!

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Driving through a puddle and getting a face wash (63 Champ). Also having to clean the mud off the inside of the back window.

Terry

Comment

Ya the face wash thing,only it was my father's 62 lark 4dr.(no mud on rear window though) now that I think about it,that Lark got us to our first ever Studebaker meet Reedsville 1979

Joseph R. Zeiger
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

1: your ford truck is so bad that you need three people to close the tailgate, one at the tailgate, and one on each side of the box, pushing the box sides back up.

2. You can replace your internally controlled side view mirror without removing the inner door panel. (did that on my 75 olds)

3. If you lock your keys in your car, you can open the door by reaching under the door skin (kinda similar to number 2)

4, you hit the gas and the torsion bar on you 79 toyota breaks free, twisting the rear of your car up in the air.

5. your windshield is cracked up from the recent rain/freeze.

6, you cannot fill your gas tank, as it will run over.

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. I can't wait till the salt is off the roads!!

Comment

When you drive your Blue 63 Hawk to the car wash and they tell you you can't ever come back because all the sharp rusty holes tear up their equipment!

Comment

Come on now.

Anybody who can drive their car through a car wash doesn't have a serious rust problem, unless they plan on having a shower too.

Paul

Comment

Hey tutone 63

i posted back some time ago about the similaritiy of the Dead logo and the Stude logo. i LOVE your take. I wonder if uncle Jerry drove a Stude? [8D]

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Man-o-man.. I feel for you... BTDT[|)]
                        I was banned from the car wash in Wood Dale, IL in 1970 for that..
                        Took the '61 Hawk through to wash all the crud off of it..
                        When I came out the end, the blower popped the center trim piece (between the wiper shafts) and shot it out the end of the car wash and almost hit the towel guy...
                        When the Hawk did make it's sleek and graceful exit, they were all laughing and asked if I was going to be a float in the parade[]
                        There were a whole bunch of the nylon streamers hanging off of everthing jagged and all the side trim had snagged some...
                        The owner came out and told me to never bring this car back...EVER!
                        The towel guy was good enough to hand me my trim piece..
                        (after he held it up like a baseball bat and made a chopping motion on the hawk hood)...
                        Never spent one dime washing any cars there...for..39 years...
                        Yep.. That's a CASO grudge, fer sure[:0]
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by ivorydan

When you drive your Blue 63 Hawk to the car wash and they tell you you can't ever come back because all the sharp rusty holes tear up their equipment!

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

You know you have a rust problem if you bought a Cerberus truck or SUV less than three years old![xx(]
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If you're driving down the street and you hear the clingidy clang clang of your window handle bouncing down the street because you forgot to put the screw back in...

Comment

One friend of mine used to love pulling back the floor mat on my '63 Lark so he could watch the front suspension!
                              Had to replace front cab mounts on my '66 F*rd F-250 because the old ones were MISSING!
                              Had a '65 F*rd Fairlane where rust/acid damage from the battery caused the front suspension (Upper control arm, I think) to break loose!
                              Driving my father's '66 D*dge Coronet I got pulled over for EXCESS CAMBER! Rust where the upper control arms mounted allowed the top of the left front wheel to lean in!

Charles Eck
                              Essex, MD

'57 Commander 4 door sedan, 'Bluebird'
                              '66 Ford F-250
                              '66 Ford F-100
                              '53 John Deere 50

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

Comment

When you try to kick the frozen slush ball off your wheel well and your foot gets stuck in the hole!

Comment

Working...
                                X