1902 Electric Wagon (lotsa pix)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1902 Electric Wagon (lotsa pix)

Hey guys here are the pix of that wagon. Has anybody bought it yet? I offered $750.00 last week, and he said no he was getting too many calls.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Wonder if NAPA has those brake shoes....

From the back cover of the August, 2001 Turning Wheels.

Fred Fox writes:

Our back cover features an illustration of a 1905 Model No. 9251 2,500 lb. capacity Studebaker Express Wagon. Like other larger Studebaker Electric Trucks, this model was fitted with two electric motors, in this case 80 volt, 20 amp units. Note the steering wheel. Most larger Studebaker Electric trucks used steering wheels, while the Studebaker Electric automobiles came with tiller steering. Larger trucks used either solid rubber or iron tires, while the cars came with pneumatic tires. The solid rubber tires on this Express Wagon are 36"x3-1/2".

Comment

Nice Matthew, If you find anymore of those save them, If I would end up with it those will come in handy for reference. There are a lot of similarities in the running gear. the one I listed came with a tiller so the guy said. Interesting the motors hung off towards the back.

John

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

I'd hate to have to carry two spares, since the rear is seven lug and the front is only six..

Comment

Would this be the only one in existence? I've never heard of another one in a museum or ever written about in Turning Wheels.

Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO
          President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
          Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO

Comment

I so wish I had the cash to get this, it would be the ultimate in a stude collection. What would have topped it off for me is I know how to work with wood better than metal,lol.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
            Dylan Wills
            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
            1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
            1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Looks like we found a match, Studemaker from STT found this old photo. There was some speculation on STT weather or not this was an actual electric,or just a hodgepodge of old parts. Possobly the makings the "first studebaker truck" this item should be saved. I wonder if a sale has been brokered yet. I will contact the owner to see who ended up with it. hopefully we will see progress on this site from the new owner.

[img][/img]

John

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

I like the green paint on this. Wait a minute that's MOSS!

Comment

That is just too cool and I really hope someone can save it.

I wouldn't have a clue how to start on something like that. What do you do, take it apart, restore the metal parts and use the wood for patterns? I can't imagine much of that wood is usable.

Once it's done what a COOL car... er wagon to use in a parade!

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
                  http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

this one

looking for pictures or info that is scarce.
                    Last edited by (S); 12-31-2010, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Does that mean you purchased this electric wagon (S)?

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                        looking for pictures of this one. Parts were missing, so any help would be a big help. This is a Model 25
                        Good work, Mike! You might end up having the first self-propelled Studebaker in existence!! Did you state the serial number plate is still intact? My gut feeling is that not many years after, it ended up being hauled around by horses, and the battery carrier and other electrical components were removed. If that came from a farm where it spent all its life, I'd be tempted to asked the seller if you might poke around in the barn(s), and see if any of the missing parts are still stashed in there.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by (S)
                          The tags were removed years ago, and have been found. The only hint they even made one of these is in the form of these tags and in text from 'car ads' where it says to ask for more details about electric wagons.

The wagon like this is so rare, produced a short time and sold very few.

The SNM has no info, as far as we know and even some of the clubs 'wagon experts' have never seen one, so finding details are hard to come by.

I searched through many, many hours of text just to find 2 clues about the wagon.

Clue #1: there are pictures in Stude catalog # 266 and maybe in #224 but these are rare old books and we have not found one yet.

Clue #2: in all the searching, not one mention anywhere about the model #25

This is one of the most rare, undocumented Studebakers I have ever come across.
                          We wait for the new year, I do have some leads to follow about one of the books. (#224)
                          It might be worth a trip to the Seattle Public Library. They might have the Post-Intellingencer (if that was the daily paper back then) back that far on microfilm. True, your time is involved, but I'm assuming it was sold in the Pacific Northwest, and there had to be a selling dealer somwhere there.

Craig

Comment

Craig, I'm already on it, but the wagon info was not in the usual ads.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by (S); 12-31-2010, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                              Craig, I'm already on it, but the wagon info was not in the usual ads.
                              Mike, I was thinking the selling dealer himself may have placed an ad for it as opposed to using the nationwide factory-issue ads like you are showing. Local ads usually profile on the vehicles that they have in stock, and this particular one could have been advertised as one of their units in stock.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X