Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what brand tires originally came on a 1954 Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what brand tires originally came on a 1954 Studebaker?

Looking at a car with ancient Allstate tires and wondering if they could be original. Odometer is at 5300 miles. I know Sears sold them but did Allstate supply any to the car companies?

Am thinking Allstate (Sears) is aftermarket & originals would have been Firestones?

Comment

Thought so...they are probably Sears "classic car" replacements from the 70's, which said Allstate on them

Comment

Just for the record, the 1961 Hawk my mother purchased new had US Royal Safety 8 tires on it.

Comment

My dad's 61 Lark had Dunlops, though I couldn't swear they were original.
          Mike Davis
          1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

• Hallabutt
            Hallabutt commented
            Editing a comment
            Ditto my Dad's 1936 Daytona.

Attached Files

Comment

If a customer special-ordered a car and specified a particular brand of tire, then that fact normally would be noted on the production order. If the car were just built for stock, then the plant would have used whatever they had in stock at the time.

Maybe worth noting that Studebaker did have an arrangement with Sears in the 1960s to equip Avantis with Allstate tires.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
              If a customer special-ordered a car and specified a particular brand of tire, then that fact normally would be noted on the production order. If the car were just built for stock, then the plant would have used whatever they had in stock at the time.

Maybe worth noting that Studebaker did have an arrangement with Sears in the 1960s to equip Avantis with Allstate tires.

It would be wild if Allstate supplied tires in '54, the odometer shows only 5300 miles and several factors including lack of brake pedal wear support that mileage . When I get the car home, first thing I'll do is check for date codes. If there are none, the tires are pre 1970.

Comment

Figuring you are new to Studes, do you know copies of the Original Production order for your car are available? Yes, indeed! That will tell you if special tires were ordered. Go to the Studebaker Museum site for ordering instructions.
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Yep, knew that, ordered one for my '62 GT Hawk and it was very informative. Ordering this one as we speak

Comment

Working...
                  X