Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost to Rebuild Borg-Warner Auto Trans - 63 Avanti (Flight-O-Matic?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost to Rebuild Borg-Warner Auto Trans - 63 Avanti (Flight-O-Matic?)

Hi all, its been many years since I've had an auto transmission rebuilt and real not familiar with the Borg-Warner auto trans in a 63 Avanti so out of touch with pricing. Currently trying to find a rebuilder.

Curious what others have paid in recent years to have this done? What would be a best and worst case $ scenarios. A "soft" rebuild of just clutches and seals would be best case, but I'm curious what "hard parts" commonly are discovered as bad once these transmissions are torn down?

BTW, the forward gears work but hard shifting. There is no reverse. Thanks!

Paul,
    The cost is probably not too relevant today as it was in the 70's, that a Transmission expert pal of mine, heavily modified my Powershift in my '63 GT Hawk R4 Clone.
    However seeing as you are in San Diego, find an old school transmission guy and let him know my guy used a lot of high performance pieces intended for a Ford FMX sourced from your California based TransGo 3-speed FMX, Cruise-O-Matic. I believe he was able to utilize bands, clutches, sprags and so on. He'll know.
    Mine works so well that moving the stick from 1 to 2 results in twin tire patches on the pavement for several feet. I continue to be super impressed with the results several decades later.
    Bill

Comment

Thanks, Bill for the info and parts lead. Would like to also get an idea form anyone if a relatively stock rebuild will be closer to $3k or $5k installed? The vehicle in question is for sale and trying to figure a price to deduct for the trans work. I would rather have "my guy" do the rebuild.

Comment

You asked what "Hard Parts" often fail, that would be the Expensive part of the job if that happens.
        The Most common would be the Clutch Drums, especially the Forward one, used in 2nd. Gear.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you can find a shop which still knows the FMX, it's one of the easier rebuilds they'll see any time soon.

A Master Rebuild Kit for the FMX is about $300, about $300 labor and $100 to R&R; $1,000 total, was what it cost pre covid, pre-inflation.

Today, I couldn't even guess.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

You can even use an FMX valve body for 1st gear start but need to modify the case to use the vacuum modulator. If I recall correctly the detent is different and needs to be changed. You could start with FMX trans and just change the input shaft if I recall correctly.
            David L

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great information and suggestions. Prices have gone crazy post-Covid. The valve body upgrade to get a 1st gear start is something
              I want to do hence I prefer to buy the car as-is an find a shop to do the job.

Comment

See my Blog- These transmissions are a very easy rebuild. Plenty of how-to's with photos. It's also indexed on the Bob Johnstone resource site. Lots of info too much to mention hers.

Providing your trans is not absolutely flogged out you may get away with just replacing hard, brittle O rings and clutch packs. The bushing at the nose of the input shaft will be an absolute 'to-do", though.
                Fatsco Transmission Parts should have everything you need
                Fatsco Transmission Parts - classic and antique automatic transmission parts from 1941-On.

Have a go at it yourself !

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                  Hi all, its been many years since I've had an auto transmission rebuilt and real not familiar with the Borg-Warner auto trans in a 63 Avanti so out of touch with pricing. Currently trying to find a rebuilder.

Curious what others have paid in recent years to have this done? What would be a best and worst case $ scenarios. A "soft" rebuild of just clutches and seals would be best case, but I'm curious what "hard parts" commonly are discovered as bad once these transmissions are torn down?

BTW, the forward gears work but hard shifting. There is no reverse. Thanks!
                  i sent you a PM

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Winzar View Post
                    See my Blog- These transmissions are a very easy rebuild. Plenty of how-to's with photos. It's also indexed on the Bob Johnstone resource site. Lots of info too much to mention hers.

Providing your trans is not absolutely flogged out you may get away with just replacing hard, brittle O rings and clutch packs. The bushing at the nose of the input shaft will be an absolute 'to-do", though.
                    Fatsco Transmission Parts should have everything you need
                    Fatsco Transmission Parts - classic and antique automatic transmission parts from 1941-On.

Have a go at it yourself !
                    Steve I have found, over the years, you Stude drivers in Australia are a valuable source of info, and often parts. Y'all test them thoroughly in the outback, and have came up with some trick ideas to keep them on the road, often with improved performance and safety. I have a set of poly (forgot the specific name) 'A' arm bushings for my GT, bought from Allan Tyler there a few years ago, and they are in the round-2-it file for installation.

RE the subject transmission here, I agree the FOM is easy to R&R, but think the OP has a Power Shift, on the floor, similar but different from FOM. I have never been into a power shift before, but bet you probably have.

Comment

Since the OP is in San Diego perhaps he should contact John Metzger in Orange county. John is our club guru when it comes to our transmissions. His contact info is in Turning Wheels & probably here too under "resources"
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Since your problem with the Powershift transmission appears to be a shifting problem it would be wise to examine the shift linkage before considering a need for a rebuild.
                        From the underside of the car, remove the shift rods from the shifter bottom, Manually shift the tranmission lever into 1st gear detent. Then check if the shift rod slips easily into it's position at the base of the shifter without any lateral movement of the shift rod. Repeat this procedure for detents 2 & 3. Then repeat this for the reverse rod shifter detent.
                        If you have difficulty reengaging the the rods at the shifter, then the rods have been bent or replaced with incorrect parts. A rebuild may not be necessary!
                        (this assumes that the shifter hasn't been modified or exchanged for some other product).

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
                          Since your problem with the Powershift transmission appears to be a shifting problem it would be wise to examine the shift linkage before considering a need for a rebuild.
                          From the underside of the car, remove the shift rods from the shifter bottom, Manually shift the tranmission lever into 1st gear detent. Then check if the shift rod slips easily into it's position at the base of the shifter without any lateral movement of the shift rod. Repeat this procedure for detents 2 & 3. Then repeat this for the reverse rod shifter detent.
                          If you have difficulty reengaging the the rods at the shifter, then the rods have been bent or replaced with incorrect parts. A rebuild may not be necessary!
                          (this assumes that the shifter hasn't been modified or exchanged for some other product).
                          Excellent advice.

FWIW, a fluid flush, filter change and band adjustment has rescued many a B-W thought to require a rebuild.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Be aware Fatsco does not have power shift parts, only the standard flight-o-magic stuff. I tried to get a drum and intermediate case spray carrier, and they did not have them. Bands and pistons are also different on power shift transmissions.
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                            X