This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Spokespeople

Celebrity endorsers are nothing new, and company Presidents appearing in print and media commercials for an automobile (ala Lee Iaccoca) is nothing new either. Who remembers these great Studebaker spokespeople: KNUTE ROCKNE. Any football historian remembers the great coach from Notre Dame who quit coaching to tour the country on behalf of Studebaker. He died in a plane crash and the company thought so much of him that they named a car after him in 1932. I am not familiar with any spokespersons after Mr. Rockne prior to about 1953. EVA GABOR appeared in a few Studebaker commercials for the all-new 1953 models. Her colorful sister ZSA ZSA GABOR appeared in several Lark commercials. My favorite dialogue in one of them has the announcer asking, "Miss Gabor, were you paid to say these things?" Zsa Zsa, standing by her new Lark, looks directly into the camera and smiles, "Are you crazy Dahling, of course YES!" GEORGE BURNS helped develop the Mr. Ed TV show and pitch it to Studebaker dealers. The stars of "Mr Ed," CONNIE HINES and ALLAN YOUNG, did many commercials for Studebaker. JOHN CAMERON SWAYZE did a few television commercials and a couple of dealer promos for Studebaker. SHERWOOD EGBERT appeared in print advertising for the Avanti.

Does anyone else remember any other celebrity spokespeople for Studebaker?

Studedude1961
    --1963 Cruiser

I believe Mr. Ed himself acted as a "spokeshorse".

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I believe Mr. Ed himself acted as a "spokeshorse".

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Speaking of Mr. Ed. How did they move his lips? String? Enquiring minds want to know
        Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
        64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Comment

Speaking of Mr. Ed. How did they move his lips? String? Enquiring minds want to know
          Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
          64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tstclr

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
            64 Daytona 4dr Sedan
            The book "Mr. Ed and Me" by Alan Young never comes out and says it, but a seemingly knowledgeable website said there was a thread along his halter that they would pull and it would cause him to move his lips out of reflex. This seems to make sense beacuse you never see Mr Ed without his halter. Then again, you never saw Eva Gabor naked on "Green Acres" but I'm sure she took baths, so that doesn't really prove anything.

Young says later the horse was so smart, he'd just start "talking" when the horse saw/heard him quit.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tstclr

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
              64 Daytona 4dr Sedan
              The book "Mr. Ed and Me" by Alan Young never comes out and says it, but a seemingly knowledgeable website said there was a thread along his halter that they would pull and it would cause him to move his lips out of reflex. This seems to make sense beacuse you never see Mr Ed without his halter. Then again, you never saw Eva Gabor naked on "Green Acres" but I'm sure she took baths, so that doesn't really prove anything.

Young says later the horse was so smart, he'd just start "talking" when the horse saw/heard him quit.

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I heard they used peanut butter but could be wrong.

I'm too young to remember Studebaker spokepersons; heck, I can barely remember Dave Garroway!

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                33 Rockne 10
                51 Commander Starlight
                53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I heard they used peanut butter but could be wrong.

I'm too young to remember Studebaker spokepersons; heck, I can barely remember Dave Garroway!

Brad Johnson
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  33 Rockne 10
                  51 Commander Starlight
                  53 Commander Starlight

Brad Johnson,
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:I'm too young to remember Studebaker spokepersons; heck, I can barely remember Dave Garroway!
                    Speaking of Dave Garroway, I was watching his show one morning and he had a "strong man" on there and he went out onto the street and lifted the rear of a parked 53 Studebaker off the ground. I wish there was a way I could find a tape of that episode, but even if they have the tapes, it would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

quote:I'm too young to remember Studebaker spokepersons; heck, I can barely remember Dave Garroway!
                      Speaking of Dave Garroway, I was watching his show one morning and he had a "strong man" on there and he went out onto the street and lifted the rear of a parked 53 Studebaker off the ground. I wish there was a way I could find a tape of that episode, but even if they have the tapes, it would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Don't look for it yourself. Ask NBC. No harm in trying. Everyone told me "you can't get the Clydesdales for a Studebaker Meet" but, unless a better venue requests that date, they'll be in Lancaster 2008.

Brad Johnson
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        33 Rockne 10
                        51 Commander Starlight
                        53 Commander Starlight

Brad Johnson,
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Don't look for it yourself. Ask NBC. No harm in trying. Everyone told me "you can't get the Clydesdales for a Studebaker Meet" but, unless a better venue requests that date, they'll be in Lancaster 2008.

Brad Johnson
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          33 Rockne 10
                          51 Commander Starlight
                          53 Commander Starlight

Brad Johnson,
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I tried to contact NBC when Strom Thurmond died. NBC Nightly News ran a picture of a 47-48 Studebaker with a banner that said "Thurmond for President" on it when he was running for president in 1948, but I had no luck.

Comment

I tried to contact NBC when Strom Thurmond died. NBC Nightly News ran a picture of a 47-48 Studebaker with a banner that said "Thurmond for President" on it when he was running for president in 1948, but I had no luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X