Opinions Sought on Ad Copy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions Sought on Ad Copy

I've always wondered what style of listing is best- just the facts, or sales-pitch style?

Here's an example of the latter:

I always try to stay with just the details of the vehicle and keep the superlatives to a minimum. Personally, when I see an ad like the above, I may find it entertaining, but automatically feel a little cautious (read: uneasy) of the seller.

Which style do you think is most effective? Being a dork, I can write either[)]

P.S. The Hawk looks like a decent deal too

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Bob, I have a very simple, logical mind. When a sales pitch goes past the facts into opinions (assumably of the seller) it will lose me as a customer. I want to know what kind of engine it has, not why the seller put it in or what races he won. (Of course, that could be important to some). I didn't read the link you supplied, so I don't know what that said. I would suggest facts. That could include adjectives as long as they're not opinions.

Georgeous, 1950, lovable Studebaker Champion 4 door with babied 170 flathead six.

Repainted, 1950, Studebaker Champion 4 door with rebuilt flathead six.

The first is just my emotional opinion, the second would inform me.

I don't know you from your business, only from the forum. From what I can deduce from the forum, you already know how to sell, you know how to primp the product, and you certainly know your field. What and why do you want to change?

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

It's not about change, necessarily- more about ongoing education as to what sells best in general, and especially on eBay.

Over the Summer I'll be listing numerous items on eBay. I write pretty good listings, but there's always room to learn. It's a given that pictures, timing, and low opening bid give you the best chance of success; just wondering about the copy style.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

JMHO

I think the link BAMS posted is in keeping with the level of quality and effort expended on the truck. It appears to be a Ridler winner, built by a well known builder and owned by a well known celebrity that has been restored to a high level by a well known restorer.

It seems to be in character for the audience they are trying to interest, the big spender.

It is much less verbose than a lot of ads on Ebay for some POC.

My summary is that the ad should reflect the audience and quality of the item offered.

A $300 Lark needs the facts about condition and problems. A high end restoration should have copy that is in kind.

Bob

Comment

My apologies, guys, I pasted the wrong link; now corrected. I was referring to comments like:

Try to resist, but if you let this classic and antique Hawk fly to someone else's garage, you will forever kick yourself where it hurts!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

When I first started selling online I went
            with the long winded sales pitch.
            Then went to the minimalist approach.
            Words(and rhetoric)went down,sales went up.
            I may have to answer more questions from buyers
            but savvy buyers already know what they are looking at.
            Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

That looks like a decent GT Hawk, and I see he will not be out of Studebakers either, there are at least two more in that big shop.

Lakeland FL sounds familiar, isn't that near Steven Cade's place?

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I was referring to comments like:

Try to resist, but if you let this classic and antique Hawk fly to someone else's garage, you will forever kick yourself where it hurts!
                Opinion requested; opinion offered:

Two thumbs down. Give me facts and let me draw my own conclusions. I've been thinking for myself for two or three years, now, and I've gotten kind of good at it. Soon's somebody starts telling me what I will or will not do I'm O-U-T out-a here. Don't care what he's selling. "Thank you. Next!"

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
                In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
                If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Exactly how I feel, Keoni. Wonder if we're in the majority, or minority?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                  X