Miscellaneous Studebaker meanderings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miscellaneous Studebaker meanderings.

Well, lemmesee. Where to begin? Well, three vehicles out of the flock have been sold. A '53 1.5 ton truck, a '65 Commander 2-door post, and the '37 Dictator partially-built street rod. Loaded the truck onto a trailer yesterday; drove it on myself. It's the only runner of the three. Buddy is going to put a vintage hand-cranked tow-truck hoist on it. He got the Commander a week ago, and the '37 remains, for now.

Today, I tore apart a T86 OD transmission of unknown provenance. Had a fine spline on the input shaft, so probably not Studebaker, but some of the parts will fit. The intermediate plate was busted, and it seems there was no balk ring in it. Sprag, planet carrier, and sun gear seem to be OK. Transmission gears rusty, but no missing teeth. It goes in the parts bin.

And I got re-started on a '64 Daytona hardtop. This a California car with no body rust, and the body has been mostly primed and blocked. It came to me with a truck (?) 259 and a T85 OD with floor shift. Francis Prefontaine wanted the low-compression heads, so I pulled them off last year, and discovered the cylinders were badly worn. I pulled the engine, and in the course of doing that, discovered that the T85 was not an original Studebaker transmission, but maybe a Ford, with a shorter input shaft, and a fine spline. An extension had been pressed onto the input shaft to mate it to the Studebaker pilot bearing. Since I had the good 259 crate motor out of Uncle Fester, the rusty GT Hawk, I put that in there, along with the T10 4 speed. Today, I cleaned up and painted the engine valley cover. I would have installed it, but the NOS cork valley cover gasket had dried out and was shrunken 3/4" in length. I left it to soak overnight in my tire test tank. My goal for this round is to get the engine running so the car can move itself off the hoist.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Sounds like progress all around gord!
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

All good stuff. Beats sitting on the sofa!
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Your efforts put me to shame. I haven't done much on my Studebakers since just after the Covid shut-downs began. I have been having trouble getting back into the process. Maybe your message will help motivate me now that school is out and I won't be ferrying grandkids back and forth every day.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Well, the valley cover gasket did duly swell back to its original size, and I was able to install it, and the valley cover. Cleaned and painted the intake manifold, and got that bolted down securely. And installed both exhaust manifolds (previously painted) and hooked up the exhaust pipes. Next up: carb, distributor, fuel pump, water pump.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
          X