South Bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend

It was great to see the 58th International Meet end on a glorious, sun filled Saturday. Jane Stinson did a wonderful job of overseeing the event. Makes one anxiously await the Wisconsin version in September of 2023. I was able to attend some activities including the Membership Meeting at St. Paul’s Memorial Church. What a wonderful edifice with great history and a strong Studebaker connection especially the massive stain glass windows. The attending members were provided with important information and the opportunity to ask questions of the Board. Too bad more Directors weren’t present as this would have given their constituents another opportunity to discuss local issues within their Zone. It also would have given an important optic relative to unity on the Board.
    For me, the best thing about the Meet was to renew old friendships and make new ones. It was like a family reunion where fond memories were rekindled and updated information exchanged. If only the warmth of our Studebaker family could be shouted from the highest rooftop. The availability of parts for our beloved automobiles is very beneficial but I truly appreciate the friendships I have been able to cultivate.
    I know there were glitches, but they were very well camouflaged by the significant efforts of the Michiana Chapter and the dedicated volunteers. Even so, I am sure we each can always find something to complain about but those should seem very small in the grand scheme of things. If you don’t believe me, get involved in a large, complicated, multi-faceted undertaking requiring massive planning, coordination and execution.
    With all that said I would like to thank Jane, the Michiana Chapter and the Studebaker Officers and Board of Directors for their efforts.
    Peter Bishop

I echo Peter's comments. The meet committee did a great job all around. I know from various sources some activities needed to be in town so you needed to drive away from the fairgrounds and those activities. At Indy seminars for instance were centralized at the fairgrounds and one need not travel. I may sign up next year for the weather committee as that one needed some extra help this year. It was unfortunate that the rain chased a lot of folks and beautiful cars to drier areas. Saturday at least dried out for a wonderful all makes show.
    Rob in PA.

Comment

I'm a bit troubled by Peter's statement that not many of the board members attended the general membership meeting. I think candidates for the board should commit in advance to attending all IMs during their term, and attending both the board and the members meetings (and should do so absent some sort of emergency). It's actually an important part of their job description. I realize the Internet and the executive committee structure has changed the mechanisms by which the club makes decisions, but the bylaws allow the membership to actually overrule board decisions, and the annual board meeting is the only mechanism by which they could do that. Admittedly, such an event is highly unlikely, but the annual membership meeting is supposed to play a major role in club administration.
      Last edited by Skip Lackie; 05-12-2022, 02:54 PM.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I had a great meet, the only issues I had was with that "Damn Yankee Weather" LO It use to be a 50 degree day was a nice day after the winter, but, the weather in S.C. has been in the 70's and 80's for the last couple months! Other than the rain and clouds, the meet was excellent.

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

I hope I never have to help my brother vend in the Singer building again without heat. The chill takes some of the enjoyment out of being there.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

What weather? I walked around all week (except Sat.) in a short-sleeve shirt. The weather was fine and I'm from Virginia. Now, the year the SDC Intl was in Charlotte it was way too hot.
            --Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
              What weather? I walked around all week (except Sat.) in a short-sleeve shirt. The weather was fine and I'm from Virginia. Now, the year the SDC Intl was in Charlotte it was way too hot.
              --Dwight
              I'm glad to hear you say that! I was in Charlotte for that one, and I agree. "It's not the heat it's the humidity," you can scratch that quote as far as I'm concerned-it's both the heat and the humidity. For this mossbacked old boy from the Pacific Northwest, whose idea of a normal summer day is 75 degrees and no more then 40% humidity it was torture. Mary and I pretty much swore off any summertime meets that are east of the Continental Divide. Thankfully schedules are moving away from the summer heat. summer event just haven't made much sense for some time. Opinions may very.

Comment

I was at the Charlotte Meet and the weather was great. They ran out of car show / display spaces by Monday evening, and only those who had pre-registered were allowed to park on the field. Never heard of that, before or since. It seems they simply did not arrange for adequate parking from the get-go. I have never been to a 'bad' SDC Intl Meet, but that one sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                  "For this mossbacked old boy from the Pacific Northwest, whose idea of a normal summer day is 75 degrees and no more then 40% humidity"
                  Funny, you just described exactly what it is right now at 11:30 pm inside my house! Summer here is 95 degrees and 6-12% humidity, and I'm good with that! It got to 86 today, I 've been waiting for it to warm up a little, it was nice. Anything below 65 is freekin' cold here !! I guess it's just what you're use to! I've had almost 5" rain this season too, right in the middle of my average range, and it's extremely rare to get any rain from May thru October here. (2017, I got a freak 24" rain, that was when all my huge 40 year old trees fell over)

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post

Funny, you just described exactly what it is right now at 11:30 pm inside my house! Summer here is 95 degrees and 6-12% humidity, and I'm good with that! It got to 86 today, I 've been waiting for it to warm up a little, it was nice. Anything below 65 is freekin' cold here !! I guess it's just what you're use to! I've had almost 5" rain this season too, right in the middle of my average range, and it's extremely rare to get any rain from May thru October here. (2017, I got a freak 24" rain, that was when all my huge 40 year old trees fell over)
                    It may not be exactly opposite of what we have been experiencing up here, but the change is recognizable nonetheless. Our rainfall is important to our special ecosystem. The average annual rainfall has not really changed much but the intensity of the storms and their timing has changed. Our summer rainfall has all but disappeared and our forests have suffered because of it. The kicker was last year when we experienced several days of heat. In the foothills were we live it hit 118 degrees! We have all experienced these 100 and 200 year storms, sometimes in successive years which was bad enough, but to put that heat event into perspective, I heard a national climatologist comment that it was so unprecedented to have that kind of temperature in the PNW, that statistically speaking he called it a 1000 year event.

I've enjoyed all the National/International events that I've attended. Two of my favorites were Lancaster and Rapid City because they were held in September and the weather was great. I hope those of you who had the opportunity to attend the meet several years ago in Tacoma. If you did attend than you got a taste of our usual PNW weather. I hope you enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                      I was at the Charlotte Meet and the weather was great. They ran out of car show / display spaces by Monday evening, and only those who had pre-registered were allowed to park on the field. Never heard of that, before or since. It seems they simply did not arrange for adequate parking from the get-go. I have never been to a 'bad' SDC Intl Meet, but that one sucked.
                      Call me next time and I will lend you the money to pre register.
                      Jack White
                      Charlotte,NC
                      North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

l had a good time in South Bend.

My thanks go to the people who made my day, having brought pre-arranged "packages" for me to pick up - Jim Turner, Stephen Allen's, and thanks to Barb at the SNM. Also a huge tip of the hat to Tom Karciewicz (sp) for having some difficult-to-find parts in his bus inventory. Really made me happy that l had attended.

Conversations with Rusty Berg (with his unforgettable unrestored '13 Model 25 Touring) and Robert Studebaker (with his amazing'22 Special six Roadster) were highlights for me.

Thanks to ALL who worked at this meet for our enjoyment!

Wisconsin calls for 2023!

Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                        61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                        Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                        Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

I had a great experience at the meet this year. This is the 1st time my wife has come with me the meets. Other than the rain I think all went well. This was the first time water has hit my car since just being finished from being completely changed from a blue car to the red and white it is now.

I look forward to continually chat and meet new people at any event I go to.

My car has been unloaded and placed back in the garage probably for next 2-3 months. When I got back to Louisville I had a Shoulder Replacement done. All seems good so far.

I think that the team who put on this show did a wonderful job.

Keep up the good work. Click image for larger version

Name:	Red and White Car.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	1944353

Comment

Beautiful Champion Don, you just heal quickly!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

• STUDEBAKER BILL
                              STUDEBAKER BILL commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Do you have the records on what is a Studebaker Engine Stamped: VK 309

• STUDEBAKER BILL
                              STUDEBAKER BILL commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Do you have the records on what is a Studebaker Engine Stamped? VK 309
                              Thank you
                          Working...
                          X