Unexpected Studebaker treat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected Studebaker treat

I'm renting this incredible mid-century modern home for a few days in Tucson, all restored to its original decor, called the Ball-Paylore House. It was built for a couple of librarian friends in 1952, and is currently taken care of and rented out by the Tucson Historical Society. When we pulled up, sitting there in the carport was a beautiful Lark! Turns out it belonged to the librarians, and was purchased with the house by the Historical Society, who leaves it there as another period detail. What a treat! I don't think it ever gets driven, and is definitely a little dusty and cobweb-y, but the Arizona weather and shady carport keeps it in pretty decent condition. (Also makes a nice pairing with my '64 1/2 Mustang in the driveway!)
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Stunt View Post
    I'm renting this incredible mid-century modern home for a few days in Tucson, all restored to its original decor, called the Ball-Paylore House. It was built for a couple of librarian friends in 1952, and is currently taken care of and rented out by the Tucson Historical Society. When we pulled up, sitting there in the carport was a beautiful Lark! Turns out it belonged to the librarians, and was purchased with the house by the Historical Society, who leaves it there as another period detail. What a treat! I don't think it ever gets driven, and is definitely a little dusty and cobweb-y, but the Arizona weather and shady carport keeps it in pretty decent condition. (Also makes a nice pairing with my '64 1/2 Mustang in the driveway!)
    I know exactly where you are in the center of Tucson. (not stalking you) When I worked at the Sun Station in mid town Tucson, I spotted the car at the house. At the time the original owners were still living there. The letter carrier for the route told me not to even ask if it was for sale. Glad to see it is still around

As an aside, tomorrow our chapter is hosting a breakfast at Agua Caliente park in the morning. You are invited to come

Bob Miles
    I am sure there are more hidden gems like that in Tucson

Comment

I know exactly where you are in the center of Tucson. (not stalking you) When I worked at the Sun Station in mid town Tucson, I spotted the car at the house. At the time the original owners were still living there. The letter carrier for the route told me not to even ask if it was for sale. Glad to see it is still around

As an aside, tomorrow our chapter is hosting a breakfast at Agua Caliente park in the morning. You are invited to come

Bob Miles
      I am sure there are more hidden gems like that in Tucson
      Oh, that's very cool, Bob! And thanks for the invite, but unfortunately we're hitting the road tomorrow morn.

Comment

I've walked by that place and have seen the car. Glad it still survives.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Oddly, it's a '60 with a '59 grille and badge. It's usually the other way around!
          ~Matt Connor
          '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
            Oddly, it's a '60 with a '59 grille and badge. It's usually the other way around!
            Front clip is correct to be a '59 - nothing else visible to tell whether the shell is '60 - color difference shows there has been work done.

Comment

The Body Side Moulding is usually the best Clue as to the year, it is a little hard to tell if it has the Sharp "Fin" line 2 piece '59 1/4 Panel Moulding or the Cool curved one piece '60, but with the '60 Jonquil Yellow Paint and that Moulding I think it IS a '60, with a whole '59 front Clip.

Definitely the Front is '59, it has the '59 "Studebaker" Script, '59 Parking Lights & Grille, but has had a Regal Grille Moulding added.
              So the mismatched L/F Door and Front Clip say: "front end collision".
              Last edited by StudeRich; 05-08-2022, 10:16 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X