Studebaker truck shown on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker truck shown on TV

3:30 this AM the Decades network channel showed The Abbott and Costello Show, season 2 episode 2. Lou falls into an open manhole. To remove him they tie a rope around him and tie the other end to the Studebaker truck. Of course, since this is a comedy once Lou is free of the manhole the truck continues down the street with Lou kicking and screaming. There is a perfect full frame side view of the truck and as Lou is pulled down the street a great view of the truck rear with the Studebaker script on the tailgate showing perfectly. The truck appears to be brand new and since it was so prominently shown it made me wonder if Studebaker actually paid for "product placement".

Here it is. Click image for larger version

Name:	Abbott and Costello.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1940760
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

thanks for the laugh

Comment

And a chromed rear bumper. uncommon?
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yes. Uncommon. Rear bumpers were optional, and while available, both front and rear chromed bumpers were really rare. Click image for larger version

Name:	20191220_135404.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1940823
          Skip Lackie

Comment

• Milaca
            Milaca commented
            Editing a comment
            Quick! Somebody paint the stamped letters white on that tailgate!

I actually think the painted 2-tone bumpers are more attractive.

Comment

The "R" Series Pickup shown on the Abbott and Costello Show, looks like is has one of the last year for the Huge Calif. Plates, a Black on Yellow 1951 Plate. They got Metal Tabs in the corner for the Year, up to 1955 before Stickers were used.

The Truck in Skip's Photo appears to be Very close to the Tahiti Coral Color of a '59 Scotsman, but the back Window and Windshield gives it away as Not.
            An "R" would have had Tan, and that is probably what it is, under different light or Camera.

VERY Pretty Truck though.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The truck is painted Mesa Tan, the original 1954 color, or as close to it as I could get. Front view below. And yes, the hood emblems had not been installed when this picture was taken.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200507_143651.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	1940885
              Skip Lackie

Comment

WHOA! It's a '54 3R, you are really fortunate to own one of those very rare year model Trucks!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No skill involved. It was just a $300 used truck back in 1973.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Hey Skip. If you want to double your money, let me know. I'll come get it with cash in hand. LOL
                    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Product placement did not start until the 1980's when companies paid to have their products show up in the movie or tv set. I remember seeing a Mr Ed show that had an older IH pickup instead of a champ in one show. As Studebaker sponsored the show, they probably just used the IH because it was handy and already used by the studio. Later, all sorts of cars were on the show, including an Avanti driven by Charles Lane.

Trivia question: what TV show had a Studebaker in the show when Studebaker was not a sponsor? Easy question but there was a show that had Ford provide cars and it had Studebaker's in it. One of the last shows of that series had an AMC Ambassador shown. Any guess on the second show?

Bob Miles
                      Head full of useless trivia

Comment

AMC...sounds like Adam-12. The original Hawaii Five-O was sponsored by Fords and McGarrett drove a Mercury if I remember.
                        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

They are correct but what I was looking for was Mayberry RFD where Francis Bavier parked her 66 Daytona on the set and then it was used in an episode. Perry Mason was sponsored by Ford but in two episodes, there was a 62 GT and a 62 Regal convertible. The final show had a 66 Ambassador painted as a police car. I don't remember the show's title with the GT but the setting was on a movie studio lot. The case of the polka dot pony had a shot of the convertible through the window at a camera shop.

Bob Miles
                          More useless trivia

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                            Hey Skip. If you want to double your money, let me know. I'll come get it with cash in hand. LOL
                            Tom-
                            Thanks so much for the offer, but over the years, I guess I've had every nut and bolt in my hands at one time or another, so I guess I'll keep it.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                            X