Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike, why didn't you save them??? It must be nice to live in a place where cars don't rust. Here in GA, ANY of those cars are like gold mines. RUST FREE!
    Lots of rain and high humidity isn't the best place for preserving an old car. [V]

I'll add one of the greater losses in Georgia.
    About 20 miles from here, there used to be a HUGE junk yard with cars ranging from the '20's to today. There were MANY Studes in that place. Quite a few of them have been restored and many parts have been salvaged. I have the Champion hood script from a 1941 model that was in there.
    There were Studes ranging from a couple of '39 Champs to a '56J. My grandad bought the 56J engine and to remove it, the junkyard worker hooked a boom truck to the tail end, pickup it up, and literally shook the car until the engine fell out. [:0][}] The carb was slap full of dirt. [V]
    I was rather young when I went there those few times, but can recall a lot of sweet cars. There was a '55 Prez State sedan that had caught fire and burned. (Well, not so sweet[xx(] -The rear bumper was on our '57 Hawk til just a few years back)
    There were '47-'52s galore, with a few bullet noses with nice sheetmetal. One time we went, there was a '50 Champ two door sitting there upside down with its OD trans just there for the taking. As my grandad had everything loose but a cable, a fella walked up and said "Well, thanks for getting my trans out". As he had bought it earlier that day. [:I]

Anyways, the man that owned the place passed away and his kids brought in a crusher and smooshed everything. I wish my grandad had've bought all of the Studes, but he didn't.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, Georgia
    '59 Scotsman PU
    '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Mike, why didn't you save them??? It must be nice to live in a place where cars don't rust. Here in GA, ANY of those cars are like gold mines. RUST FREE!
      Lots of rain and high humidity isn't the best place for preserving an old car. [V]

I'll add one of the greater losses in Georgia.
      About 20 miles from here, there used to be a HUGE junk yard with cars ranging from the '20's to today. There were MANY Studes in that place. Quite a few of them have been restored and many parts have been salvaged. I have the Champion hood script from a 1941 model that was in there.
      There were Studes ranging from a couple of '39 Champs to a '56J. My grandad bought the 56J engine and to remove it, the junkyard worker hooked a boom truck to the tail end, pickup it up, and literally shook the car until the engine fell out. [:0][}] The carb was slap full of dirt. [V]
      I was rather young when I went there those few times, but can recall a lot of sweet cars. There was a '55 Prez State sedan that had caught fire and burned. (Well, not so sweet[xx(] -The rear bumper was on our '57 Hawk til just a few years back)
      There were '47-'52s galore, with a few bullet noses with nice sheetmetal. One time we went, there was a '50 Champ two door sitting there upside down with its OD trans just there for the taking. As my grandad had everything loose but a cable, a fella walked up and said "Well, thanks for getting my trans out". As he had bought it earlier that day. [:I]

Anyways, the man that owned the place passed away and his kids brought in a crusher and smooshed everything. I wish my grandad had've bought all of the Studes, but he didn't.

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, Georgia
      '59 Scotsman PU
      '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Many years ago a friend of mine was looking for a Studebaker. We found a '65 two door Daytona. Looking at the car we knew it had not run for a while, as there were two coils (not hooked up) lying under the hood, a screw driver proping the carb open, and a couple of flat tires. We spoke to a lady in the house nezt to where the car was setting and he said it was her daughter's car. We left a phone number and drove on home. Later the daughter called and told us that the car had been her fathers before it passed a way. Now this was about 15 years ago. She said she would sell the car but wanted $3500 for it. In the m eantime we had done some research and found that a good friend had sold her father many body parts for the car. It seems it had been hit broadside be a large truck. The result was that the car was, or should have been, totaled. Confronted with this information the daughter claimed that if she didn't get at least $3500 for the car she would let it rust away.....and she did (let it rust away that is.).
        Joe Roberts
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Many years ago a friend of mine was looking for a Studebaker. We found a '65 two door Daytona. Looking at the car we knew it had not run for a while, as there were two coils (not hooked up) lying under the hood, a screw driver proping the carb open, and a couple of flat tires. We spoke to a lady in the house nezt to where the car was setting and he said it was her daughter's car. We left a phone number and drove on home. Later the daughter called and told us that the car had been her fathers before it passed a way. Now this was about 15 years ago. She said she would sell the car but wanted $3500 for it. In the m eantime we had done some research and found that a good friend had sold her father many body parts for the car. It seems it had been hit broadside be a large truck. The result was that the car was, or should have been, totaled. Confronted with this information the daughter claimed that if she didn't get at least $3500 for the car she would let it rust away.....and she did (let it rust away that is.).
          Joe Roberts
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

This reminds me of a friend that had a lot of interesting cars in nice condition. If he got tired of a car or gave up on the project, he would just use the entire car for landfill. Three examples;
            1) 1941(?) Lincoln Continental convertible complete with running V12,
            2) 1959(?) Imperial hardtop coupe - the one with a stainless steel roof panel,
            3) 1956 Golden Hawk with overdrive.

I managed to buy his 1957 Golden Hawk, with overdrive, project.

The friend is now also landfill along with many of his cars. He died young, but at least he isn't destroying any more collector cars.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

This reminds me of a friend that had a lot of interesting cars in nice condition. If he got tired of a car or gave up on the project, he would just use the entire car for landfill. Three examples;
              1) 1941(?) Lincoln Continental convertible complete with running V12,
              2) 1959(?) Imperial hardtop coupe - the one with a stainless steel roof panel,
              3) 1956 Golden Hawk with overdrive.

I managed to buy his 1957 Golden Hawk, with overdrive, project.

The friend is now also landfill along with many of his cars. He died young, but at least he isn't destroying any more collector cars.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

While living in Georgia in the 70s, I followed a tip that took me to a very "rustic" home that was well off the beaten path. There was a 57 Commander with factory A/C, a decent 52 hardtop and two other Stude sedans, the type they were I've long forgotten.
                The 57 I remember because I bought it and had to come back with a trailer to get it. The 52 I remember because I had been debating on whether or not I would make an offer for it when I went to retrieve the 57.
                I get there to load the 57 and I asked if I could look at the 52 again. The rather rough-lookin' gent hesitated a moment before he said: "I guess you could look at it agin if'n ya really want to. You kin still see mos' of tha roof stickin' out of the dirt."[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

While living in Georgia in the 70s, I followed a tip that took me to a very "rustic" home that was well off the beaten path. There was a 57 Commander with factory A/C, a decent 52 hardtop and two other Stude sedans, the type they were I've long forgotten.
                  The 57 I remember because I bought it and had to come back with a trailer to get it. The 52 I remember because I had been debating on whether or not I would make an offer for it when I went to retrieve the 57.
                  I get there to load the 57 and I asked if I could look at the 52 again. The rather rough-lookin' gent hesitated a moment before he said: "I guess you could look at it agin if'n ya really want to. You kin still see mos' of tha roof stickin' out of the dirt."[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

What happened to that '57 with AC Biggs? At a swap meet in west GA last year there was a rough '57 Commander sedan with trunk mounted AC. The car needed total restoration.

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, Georgia
                    '59 Scotsman PU
                    '63 Daytona HT

Comment

What happened to that '57 with AC Biggs? At a swap meet in west GA last year there was a rough '57 Commander sedan with trunk mounted AC. The car needed total restoration.

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, Georgia
                      '59 Scotsman PU
                      '63 Daytona HT

Comment

Gary, you reminded me of a 59 Imperial hardtop that I tried to buy for years. It was parked because the brakes were toast and the owner kept telling me there was no way he'd ever sell that car. It was in very nice original condition with leather interior,stainless steel roof,and the big 413.
                        The next thing I knew the car was being driven by the village idiot,who somehow talked the old fella into parting with it.
                        He destroyed the car completely in about a year. He wrecked it completely when the police were chasing him. Thought he could outrun anything with it.

Comment

Gary, you reminded me of a 59 Imperial hardtop that I tried to buy for years. It was parked because the brakes were toast and the owner kept telling me there was no way he'd ever sell that car. It was in very nice original condition with leather interior,stainless steel roof,and the big 413.
                          The next thing I knew the car was being driven by the village idiot,who somehow talked the old fella into parting with it.
                          He destroyed the car completely in about a year. He wrecked it completely when the police were chasing him. Thought he could outrun anything with it.

Comment

There is a fellow in Redding that has a collection of cars ranging from the early thirties to the seventies. They're mostly Caddies, but there are a handful of Studes and a Packard or two in the front. He must have close to a thousand cars all told. The local urchins have had their fun with the majority in the larger collection, thankfully the Studes were spared. Still, he won't answer calls, won't return calls, and the cars are sitting out in that lot rusting away. They'll probably get crushed when he dies. The county of Shasta loves to do that...[V]

By the by, I've entered a thread on these cars some time ago, and the same appeared in TW around, oh, five or six months ago. Sorry, all my TWs are packed, so I'm not sure.

Well, since the plans for Charlotte are derailed, maybe I'll be able to hunt him down.

Found it, here's the link (just in case you're interested):

http://studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3692&SearchTerms=wasting+away

Lotsa Larks!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

There is a fellow in Redding that has a collection of cars ranging from the early thirties to the seventies. They're mostly Caddies, but there are a handful of Studes and a Packard or two in the front. He must have close to a thousand cars all told. The local urchins have had their fun with the majority in the larger collection, thankfully the Studes were spared. Still, he won't answer calls, won't return calls, and the cars are sitting out in that lot rusting away. They'll probably get crushed when he dies. The county of Shasta loves to do that...[V]

By the by, I've entered a thread on these cars some time ago, and the same appeared in TW around, oh, five or six months ago. Sorry, all my TWs are packed, so I'm not sure.

Well, since the plans for Charlotte are derailed, maybe I'll be able to hunt him down.

Found it, here's the link (just in case you're interested):

http://studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3692&SearchTerms=wasting+away

Lotsa Larks!
                              Ron Smith
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Yes, we all have similar stories and they're all sad. Mine is finding a decent, restorable '55 President 2 door hardtop, red and black, with overdrive in a guy's back yard back in 1974. I talked to him, he let me look the car over, but said he would never sell it. He was the original owner. True to his word, it was still there in the same spot until approximately 1995, and by then it was half sunken into the ground, thoroughly rotted out. One day it was finally gone. He probably died and had himself buried in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X