R3 Tachometer value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R3 Tachometer value?

Anyone have an idea of what a decent pre-owned R3 tachometer might be worth?
    Mark Chance

1933 Model 56 5 window Coupe

Curious. Does it have the movable shift indicator in the center of the glass?

Comment

$17; that's what I paid for one back in the late '60s (postpaid). They haven't gone up, have they?
      --Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
        $17; that's what I paid for one back in the late '60s (postpaid). They haven't gone up, have they?
        --Dwight
        Just a Little bit I think Dwight ! Maybe 50 Times that, that Darned Inflation !
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
          Curious. Does it have the movable shift indicator in the center of the glass?
          Yes it does have the movable indicator. Click image for larger version

Name:	5626 (1).jpeg
Views:	407
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1927848
          Mark Chance

Comment

Here is a pic of mine.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	R5407 - R3 tach (7) - Copy.JPG Views:	0 Size:	125.4 KB ID:	1927853
            $17 would be for a new one. For a used one I would offer $12. On further examination I see some fading of the colors, so maybe $10.

Seriously, your tach (assuming it works) probably would go for a couple hundred -- several hundred dollars. BTW, I seem to remember that someone had the faceplate on an original one silk screened. It looked just like the original. Note that the first R3 tachs had no pointer (that's why Nels asked about that).

One caution: The colors on the gauges in any car fade from exposure to the sunlight, so keep a cover over the gauges when out in the sun.
            --Dwight

Comment

So what’s under the hood? I assume the tach is in a 64 Avanti, ie from the wood grain. Is it turquoise?

Comment

Your assumption is correct, it's in a black on black 64 R2 4spd Avanti. (It was born red, darn!). Unfortunately the eng and trans are long gone, it's been hit in the nose and has been vandalized.
                Mark Chance

Comment

Are you parting it out?

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                    Are you parting it out?
                    Not sure of it's fate as it is not in my possession yet. My original thought was to use my 63 R2 4spd Avanti to resurrect the 64 but upon finding out the 64 was not factory black changes my thinking.
                    Mark Chance

Comment

Any idea what the serial number is?

Comment

Yes, it is #5006.
                        Mark Chance

Comment

Was wondering if it could have the thick seats but it’s too early a number. I might be able to get you the original owner’s name but it will be awhile as I’m out of town.

Comment

When I first saw the pictures it looked to have the thick seat backs, but upon closer inspection I have determined that they are actually 67-68 Camaro seats upholstered to mimic the Avanti pattern.
                            Last edited by MChance; 01-14-2022, 05:09 PM.
                            Mark Chance

Comment

Working...
                            X