X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad news

I received the following email today...

Dear Friends of Walt Zander, My name is Dave Kremer, Grace's son (walt's wife). I am sending an email from his computer to his address book adressee's. We have very sad news, Walt passed away today Dec 1. While doing snow removal. Please have Wallys family and Wally in your prayers.

Sincerely,

Friends and loved ones of Wally

I know I should probably post this in the obituaries section, but I thought his friends who may not visit that section would like to know.

I've certainly enjoyed Walt's participation here. Always a gentleman.

I've communicated with him some off the forum also. His emails were interesting and witty. He enjoyed himself and his cars. Walt owned two special cars. A '49 Champion Starlight and a Miller/Allard replica built on a '52 Commander chassis. Commander 3 speed OD with the Commander rear end, BUT with a 1963 327 Corvette engine (no wonder I liked the guy [^].

We'll miss you Walt.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Damn! Just last month, Walt contacted me to ask if I'd sell him some of the fine thread brass nuts for his Stude's exhaust manifolds. I told him I wouldn't sell him my nuts but that he could borrow them, long-term if he'd pay the postage.
    As a joke, I packed the nuts in a plastic bag and made sure he'd have to dig thru the walnuts I'd filled the box with to hide them. I kept waiting for some kind of "ha-ha" e-mail from Walt but it didn't come.
    Then about 2 weeks after I'd sent of the box of nuts, I get a box from Walt that's got about a 2" nut in it. One that has NO threads! The note included said that somehow, this seemed fitting to send to me.
    We yukked it up about our exchange via E-mail eventually and I told Walt I'd thought about posting the story of our exchange to the forums except that I couldn't start a thread because my nut didn't have any!
    Later Walt recounted how he'd tricked some squirrels into working for some of the walnuts I'd packed the brass ones in. That is until Walt realized how good they were. Not gonna waste these on those durned rodents, Walt exclaimed! It was evident Walt was a cool guy with a zany sense of humor. Wish I could have met him in person.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Damn! Just last month, Walt contacted me to ask if I'd sell him some of the fine thread brass nuts for his Stude's exhaust manifolds. I told him I wouldn't sell him my nuts but that he could borrow them, long-term if he'd pay the postage.
      As a joke, I packed the nuts in a plastic bag and made sure he'd have to dig thru the walnuts I'd filled the box with to hide them. I kept waiting for some kind of "ha-ha" e-mail from Walt but it didn't come.
      Then about 2 weeks after I'd sent of the box of nuts, I get a box from Walt that's got about a 2" nut in it. One that has NO threads! The note included said that somehow, this seemed fitting to send to me.
      We yukked it up about our exchange via E-mail eventually and I told Walt I'd thought about posting the story of our exchange to the forums except that I couldn't start a thread because my nut didn't have any!
      Later Walt recounted how he'd tricked some squirrels into working for some of the walnuts I'd packed the brass ones in. That is until Walt realized how good they were. Not gonna waste these on those durned rodents, Walt exclaimed! It was evident Walt was a cool guy with a zany sense of humor. Wish I could have met him in person.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Gosh Walt was such a kindred spirit. Walt contacted me when we started posting pictures of Mabel on the forum. He wanted to share that his favorite car was named Annie. he got a kick out of Mabel being driven by Anne. It was like Anne Driving Annie. Well maybe its one of those had to be there moments. Gosh would have loved to have met him in person. But I rest well for having the pleasure of conversing with him.
            Forever in our Thoughts.

Mabel 1949 Champion
            1957 Silverhawk
            1955 Champion
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            Mabel 1949 Champion
            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            The Prez 1955 President State
            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
            Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
            Fresno,Ca

Comment

Gosh Walt was such a kindred spirit. Walt contacted me when we started posting pictures of Mabel on the forum. He wanted to share that his favorite car was named Annie. he got a kick out of Mabel being driven by Anne. It was like Anne Driving Annie. Well maybe its one of those had to be there moments. Gosh would have loved to have met him in person. But I rest well for having the pleasure of conversing with him.
              Forever in our Thoughts.

Mabel 1949 Champion
              1957 Silverhawk
              1955 Champion
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              Mabel 1949 Champion
              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              The Prez 1955 President State
              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
              Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
              Fresno,Ca

Comment

bams50,

Thanks for bringing that piece back up. I remember reading it the first time. Reading it again, I realize why Walt wrote me one time to say that he appreciated my writings and my stories that are on another page of this site. He and I share virtually the same eyes and sentiments that we observe and write from! Walt was not unlike alot of aging Stude nuts in this world. He was one of many and yet an only one.
                The world's a bit poorer for his passing and yet richer for the tracks he's left on it. If there's a Heaven out there, surely Walt will have an Annie to putter around in and plenty of good company to share it with.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

Comment

bams50,

Thanks for bringing that piece back up. I remember reading it the first time. Reading it again, I realize why Walt wrote me one time to say that he appreciated my writings and my stories that are on another page of this site. He and I share virtually the same eyes and sentiments that we observe and write from! Walt was not unlike alot of aging Stude nuts in this world. He was one of many and yet an only one.
                  The world's a bit poorer for his passing and yet richer for the tracks he's left on it. If there's a Heaven out there, surely Walt will have an Annie to putter around in and plenty of good company to share it with.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Do any of you have an e-mail for Walt's family? They might get some comfort out of reading what he wrote in the narrative above... I thought about sending it to his address link, but not sure it'd be seen...

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Do any of you have an e-mail for Walt's family? They might get some comfort out of reading what he wrote in the narrative above... I thought about sending it to his address link, but not sure it'd be seen...

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                      X