Studebaker-related Speed Trivia Pop Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker-related Speed Trivia Pop Quiz

We haven't had a Pop Quiz for some time and I still have an unspecified number of the small 1964 Studebaker brochures Andy Beckman at The Studebaker National Museum gave me for promotional purposes when they ran across a bundle of them several years ago, so here goes:

I was reading some current automotive collector-car news today and ran across an item about a certain car/driver/place that set a record speed of 200.447 on March 24, 1970. It stuck me how incredibly close that speed was to the record speed of 200.426 set by a different car at a different venue (familiar to most of us) on September 22, 1993.

The two cars and drivers were not competing with each other for a record; they were at different places setting different records.

Time for a Pop Quiz: The first person to post the correct answers to these questions will be sent an NOS, uncirculated, small 1964 Studebaker brochure #P-D-64-11.

1. What driver at what venue in what car set the record speed of 200.447 on March 24, 1970?

2. What driver at what venue in what car set the record speed of 200.426 on September 22, 1993?

(You can answer either question if you want, but if you only know the answer to one question, you'll be helping others by having solved half the quiz without winning anything!) BP

Click image for larger version

Name:	64studebrochuresmall.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1891180
    Attached Files
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

That makes it tough if you are only sure of one. I'll shut up now!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I wanna say it was my man Richard petty but it was buddy baker in a charger Daytona at ‘dega in 1970. I’m on the “more wing” committee as seen on modern STi, evo’s, and vipers and the c7 vette ZR1.

The 93 event was Ron Hall in an Avanti at Bonneville. I also have dreamt of owning an Avanti one day.

Both cars and their respective records, along with the 53 Stude, are responsible for my interest in cars and the type of cars I like. Too easy!

Comment

Originally posted by J_Cole View Post
        I wanna say it was my man Richard Petty but it was Buddy Baker in a Charger Daytona at ‘dega in 1970. I’m on the “more wing” committee as seen on modern STi, evo’s, and vipers and the c7 vette ZR1.

The 93 event was Ron Hall in an Avanti at Bonneville. I also have dreamt of owning an Avanti one day.

Both cars and their respective records, along with the 53 Stude, are responsible for my interest in cars and the type of cars I like. Too easy!
        BINGO! You got it, Justin!

Did you read the Hagerty News item on Buddy Baker's Charger Daytona?

PM me your mailing address and I'll send you the small brochure.

Thanks! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was there in '92 when Ron went 188mph. He was a great guy.

Comment

BobPalma Thank you! My dad actually picked me up from the hospital, in Dec of 82, in a 64 Daytona Convertible :-) I've always had a soft spot for the 64's as a result!

But no, i hadn't read that article until this morning! it was an interesting read and will be cool to see what that Charger Daytona goes for next month. I was born in 82 and as a kid, my dad told me stories of Avanti's breaking records at Bonneville and that really shaped how I see Studebaker; they were a performance car brand in my mind. and the R2-R5's made Stude a tuner brand in my mind :-)

When Ron went 200+ in 93 and 96, i remember him telling me about it. My heroes as a kid were Richard Petty and Mickey Mantle. I don't remember how many races Richard won in the 70 season, or the Winged Warriors in general but think it was like 40 out of 43 or 27 out of 30 or something ridiculous like that. Just like our Stude's have won 24 of the last 26 La Carrera Panemericana's! But I LOVE LOVE LOVE the winged cars and everything that they meant. I had toy models of Richard's Superbird as a kid. In fact, these 2 cars led to my absolute love of the Bugatti Veyron which quickly became my favorite car after reading about it sometime in 2004.

Comment

this is the McCoy! I was only 5 when this was breaking records but have memories of this car being in magazines all over the place. Definitely one of the coolest cars ever built and has to rank on the Mount Rushmore of Corvettes. Definitely “the” Corvette of the last 50 years.

Bid for the chance to own a 255-MPH 1988 Chevrolet Corvette Callaway SledgeHammer at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #48,157.

Comment

Working...
              X