LA/Vernon Power Hawk assembly totals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA/Vernon Power Hawk assembly totals

I’ve been doing a bunch of Googling trying to figure out how many Power Hawks like mine were made in the Vernon plant. (It would probably take less time to go to my storage space and dig through my boxes if TW’s ) Anyway I can find a total of ALL PH’s, and Wikipedia has a breakdown of Flight Hawks, but not of Power Hawks. I’m sure someone on here knows the answer, though...
    Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

As many as they could Sell !
    I believe the Power Hawk was the Top Seller of the 4.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I just want to know, if the 7,000-odd PH’es, how many came out of Vernon? I found totals for Flights and Goldens, but not PH...

Comment

I have '56 Power Hawk 8851772 built at the Vernon Plant March 16, 1956.
        My Dad Sold it New and 7 Years Later in '62, he bought it from his Friend, the Original Owner.

I am very fortunate to have it, being a completely rust free California Car, always Garaged. It is Romany Red with a Snowcap White Top.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 04-17-2021, 04:01 PM. Reason: Corrected 885772 to 8851772
        StudeRich

Comment

Mine’s 8852506, built at Vernon and shipped May 29, ‘56 . (And shipped to somewhere in Lodi, CA) So ours were built just a couple weeks apart from each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Daan View Post
            Mine’s 8852506, built at Vernon and shipped May 29, ‘56 . (And shipped to somewhere in Lodi, CA) So ours were built just a couple weeks apart from each other.
            I think you MAY have a Typo in there, TOO Many #'s, unless it is WAY later.

That is hard to say, it COULD be a lot closer, since the 885 Series are ALL Vernon Commanders "56B" (with 259 Engines).

That would be including ALL '56 Parkview 2 Dr. Wagons, and Commander 2 & 4 Door Sedans.
            StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

I think you MAY have a Typo in there, TOO Many #'s, unless it is WAY later.

That is hard to say, it COULD be a lot closer, since the 885 Series are ALL Vernon Commanders "56B" (with 259 Engines).

That would be including ALL '56 Parkview 2 Dr. Wagons, and Commander 2 & 4 Door Sedans.

Yeah let me try that again...

Comment

Huh. I wouldn’t have guessed about too many digits...

Comment

So that little Vernon Assembly Plant built one heck of a Lot of '56 "Commanders" between March 16, and May 29. then, since 8852506 IS correct !! .
                  StudeRich

Comment

And mine was red and white originally, too... was that the most common color for these, or is there a way to tell that?

Comment

I have '56 Power Hawk 885772 built at the Vernon Plant March 16, 1956.
                      My Dad Sold it New and 7 Years Later in '62, he bought it from his Friend, the Original Owner.

I am very fortunate to have it, being a completely rust free California Car, always Garaged. It is Romany Red with a Snowcap White Top.
                      Rich - The other guy didn't have too many digits, you had too few. The first 1956 model Commander was 8849101.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Daan View Post
                        That must be one of the last, if not the last, 1956 Power Hawk assembled at Vernon. All of the 1956 Commander series assembled in Vernon ended with, or before, 8852868.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

It is 8851772, not TOO many #'s, so it is the correct Number I guess, being After 8849101, it's March build is just WAY before Dan's (Daan) May build.

An Aug. or Sept. 1955 build would be early, so mine is far from that also.

LOT'S 'O '56 L.A. Commander's!
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 04-17-2021, 10:11 AM.
                          StudeRich

Comment

According to Fred Fox (Turning Wheels October 1992) there were1,360 Power Hawks assembled in Los Angeles (Vernon Plant), the last year it would be open. The article was "Studebaker Hawks: a primer" He mentions that Power Hawk (259 V8) serial numbers are intermixed with (259 V8) Sedans and Wagons also assembled in Los Angeles. As mention before the starting serial number was 8,849,101, but remember that it may not have actually been a Power Hawk as serial number 8,849,101 may have been a Sedan or a Wagon. Just for anyone else, Los Angeles assembled 557 Flight Hawks, 570 Sky Hawks, and 601 Golden Hawks, so Power Hawks were by far the most popular in LA. From that same source total productions for Flight Hawk (C-body) 4,389, Power Hawk, 7,095, Sky Hawk 3,050, and Golden Hawk 4,071. 560 K-Body Flight Hawks were made, only 9 were sold in the US, the balance were Canada or export. Hope I got it right without making any errors in copying the data.

Comment

It is 8851772, not TOO many #'s, so it is the correct Number I guess, being After 8849101, it's March build is just WAY before Dan's (Daan) May build.

An Aug. or Sept. 1955 build would be early, so mine is far from that also.

LOT'S 'O '56 L.A. Commander's!
                              Rich - Your post no. 4 has too few digits, not "TOO many". You left out the 1 that is in your S/N listed above.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X