Interesting 1964 200 Stude. Giveaway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting 1964 200 Stude. Giveaway

This would have been a HUGE Expense, Tax write-off or Not.

Click image for larger version  Name:	'64 200 Car Giveaway.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.2 KB ID:	1889399

YOU may have already Won!

Last edited by StudeRich; 04-10-2021, 01:43 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Was this a direct mailing or from a magazine article? I would think it would have been right when the 64 models came out to build show room traffic and possibly leave with a Commander or Daytona or even one of the cars listed in the give away. Had it been successful, it may have staved off the inevitable for a few more years. Studebaker was loosing money on every 64 going out the door with all the leftover 63's. Too bad.

Bob Miles

Comment

Studebaker didn't even sell that many cars that year! LOL

I wonder if they actually gave away 200 cars. If nobody had a number that matched a winning number, then nobody would win a car! Deceptive advertising is my theory.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

It appears to me that if you did a Test Drive you got a Serialized Ticket to win, and that is what this Copy is, one of the losers that was not turned in.
        As I understand Giveaways, they HAVE to give them away by drawing a winning ticket.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Here is the 1963 Giveaway contest entry form: 1963 studebaker avanti giveaway ad - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Craig

Comment

As I understand these types of promos, lotteries, etc...the company doesn't actually "pay" for all 200 cars.
            They usually pay an insurance company that determines the premiums based on the actuarial probability that the winning ticket is:
            1) Found.
            2) Found by someone interested in a Studebaker.
            3) Found by someone interested in a Studebaker who would go to the dealer.
            4) Found by someone interested in a Studebaker who would go to the dealer and that dealer has the same number on their list.
            5) Found by someone interested in a Studebaker who would go to the dealer that has the same number on their assigned list may or may not be the same master list as every other Studebaker dealer. It would be shady to think that your winning number was only on the list of a distant dealer.

I'm guessing the ad buy cost more than the actual contest and likely fit into their normal advertising budget. I noticed the one with the 1963s was from Reader's Digest, whose circulation was huge and would add the variable of the reader getting off the toilet.

My guess it was determined a success if the first 3 variables were met. It is certainly more effective than a regular ad - my heart skipped a beat seeing that Avanti giveaway...even though I was not yet born.
            Andy
            62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
              I noticed the one with the 1963s was from Reader's Digest, whose circulation was huge and would add the variable of the reader getting off the toilet.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Interesting promotion, did they actually give any cars away. Today's promotions involve buy one get one free ( BOGO)
                Studebaker should have offered a BOGO deal back then. I purchased a Avanti in October of 1963 and they could have offered an equal or lesser value car to real buyers.

October's purchase cost was nearly $ 5,000 and two months later the Avanti was half the value.

mrbobinc

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                  Interesting promotion, did they actually give any cars away.
                  Yes: People with new, Free Studebakers - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Craig

Comment

Thank you, I am impressed. Was an Avanti ever given away or was the list you provided the extent of the give away.
                    mrbobinc

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1511F420-F5B6-4C17-9441-23C6E888840D.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1889665
                      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                      Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

Sears gave away 10 Avantis with Allstate tires mounted:

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ontest-avantis

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....tain-64-avanti

Craig

Comment

I was aware of the Allstate cars and have seen several over the years.
                          So , of the 30 Avanti's that were advertised in the Studebaker 200 car promotion I assume that none were given away.

Bob Caser
                          mrbobinc

Comment

Was this promotion ever mentioned in any of the Board Meeting surviving records?

Comment

A couple more giveaways.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7FFF2D78-FA8C-4377-90AC-481358DC0B7F.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1889773 b Click image for larger version

Name:	D86C09A0-928E-407C-B5E6-F7DCE5F69479.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1889774
                              Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels