1963 Daytona Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Daytona Convertible

I am the new owner of a 1963 Daytona convertible. I'm pretty pumped. I have a 64 Daytona sedan with a 259 so I am familiar with Studebaker. My question is whether all convertibles of this year came with 289s and if so did they also all come with 4 barrel Carbs? Hagerty says they did, but I don't know if I should trust that source. It has a two barrel on it now but there is a 4 barrel in the trunk so I am not sure whether the 2 barrel was added later or what? I will be getting a copy of the build sheet from the Studebaker museum to get a definitive answer but it will be forever till it gets here. Anyone here know?

The Daytona V8’s were powered by a standard 259. Options included a 289s, the R1 and R2. The 63 convertible, that is mentioned in another thread, is in a wrecking yard in Oakland. It has a 259 with a 2 barrel. 4 barrel with dual exhausts were options also.

Comment

Last fall I purchased a very original Champagne Gold ‘63 Convertible - 259” V-8, 2 barrel carb.
      I would like to mention that I have a ‘62 Daytona Convertible project car for sale. Intact car with full flow 259” V-8’ 4 speed. structurally fairly sound - only one area of floorboard rust at front of passenger door. Reasonably straight body and bumpers, very nice original upper dash pad. Very much needs a top and top well. $2500.00. Somebody in the Northwest must want this car. Build your own pace car! Curiously the engine has an Avanti oil pan and breather and vibration dampener on it.

Comment

Randall,

Congratulations! 1963 Daytona convertibles are comparatively rare, and certainly desirable. We would like to see some pictures. As an aside, I own a 63 Daytona ht, 259 auto with has been my ride and traveling companion for over thirty years. It was my Dad's last car before I got it. IMHO a better Studebaker, all around, tour, car doesn't exist.

Jerry,

I own two, 1962 Daytona convertibles. IMO there is certainly a market for the car you describe. A few years ago Brian Curtice indicated that he knew of someone up by Bellingham Wa who would be interested in one of my cars. The lead is a bit cold, but it might be worth a try.

Bill

Comment

The 1963 Daytona convertibles were also available with the 6-cylinder engine.
          I look forward to seeing photos of your car, as the 1963 Daytona converts are one of my favorites.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

All 1963 convertibles, and 1964 Hamilton-built convertibles, could be ordered with a six as well, so by no means was a V-8 standard equipment in 1963 South-Bend-built convertibles, much less a 289.

Congrats on the buy; they aren't that common, and a 289-powered one is rarer yet! Pictures? BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
              Last fall I purchased a very original Champagne Gold ‘63 Convertible - 259” V-8, 2 barrel carb.
              I would like to mention that I have a ‘62 Daytona Convertible project car for sale. Intact car with full flow 259” V-8’ 4 speed. structurally fairly sound - only one area of floorboard rust at front of passenger door. Reasonably straight body and bumpers, very nice original upper dash pad. Very much needs a top and top well. $2500.00. Somebody in the Northwest must want this car. Build your own pace car! Curiously the engine has an Avanti oil pan and breather and vibration dampener on it.
              Jerry I have sent you a PM please check it.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

There were 1015 1963 convertibles built.
                What is the engine number stamped into the engine in the car?
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Is this 1963 convertible by chance the one that was for sale on Facebook in southwestern MN? White with a black top? I was tempted to go look at it but I don't see it for sale any more.
                  sigpic

Comment

Milaca, Yes, it is the one. My dad has a network of Studebaker people in his Studebaker club from the Eau Claire Wi. and we all concur it was a great find. We went to look at it and the body is really unbelievable. It is a Texas car not one hole in the floor or trunk. Frame looks good. Really a lot to work with. We got it for an amazing price so I am thrilled. It looked like hell in the barn but we went over but thoroughly. We have to pick it up next weekend so I can get it home, cleaned up and get started. I will post some pictures once I get it home.

Comment

[QUOTE=Studebakercenteroforegon;n1888806]Last fall I purchased a very original Champagne Gold ‘63 Convertible - 259” V-8, 2 barrel carb.
                      I would like to mention that I have a ‘62 Daytona Convertible project car for sale. Intact car with full flow 259” V-8’ 4 speed. structurally fairly sound - only one area of floorboard rust at front of passenger door. Reasonably straight body and bumpers, very nice original upper dash pad. Very much needs a top and top well. $2500.00. Somebody in the Northwest must want this car. Build your own pace car! Curiously the engine

On Friday morning Anthony and I left SF Bay area about5: 30 heading to Damascus, Or. to pick up the 62 Lark Convert. from Jerry Blount since it is about 650 miles and we stopped in Redding, Cal. to visit a friend and the again in Salem to see Zane Leeks collection. We arrived at Bills place about 8:00 AM on Sat. and what a surprise the 62 was in 64 259 v-8 and 4 speed, the car needs work but was told it runs but brakes need work. I had planned to get out of Studebaker's from buying and working on them but this looked like a deal that needed getting done so now Anthony and I own a 62 Convert. he will be doing most of the wrenching., Thanks Bill for the chance to buy it from you..............Bob
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Bob,

Congratulations! I guess it just goes to show that no matter what direction we are pointed it doesn't mean that we can't change direction. I try never to say never, when it come to the old cars.

Comment

Originally posted by skangboy54 View Post
                          Milaca, Yes, it is the one. My dad has a network of Studebaker people in his Studebaker club from the Eau Claire Wi. and we all concur it was a great find. We went to look at it and the body is really unbelievable. It is a Texas car not one hole in the floor or trunk. Frame looks good. Really a lot to work with. We got it for an amazing price so I am thrilled. It looked like hell in the barn but we went over but thoroughly. We have to pick it up next weekend so I can get it home, cleaned up and get started. I will post some pictures once I get it home.
                          I had contacted the owner a few months ago and asked about condition, but his description was extremely vague so I assumed it was very rusty. Now I am kicking myself! Congrats on a great find. I look forward to seeing it at a show someday.
                          sigpic

Comment

I think that happens more times then we sometimes realize, where a seller doesn't want to Overstate his Car's condition or really doesn't know!

Of course it often goes the OTHER way as well, you know the ones that think their Stude. is SO Rare, it's gotta be worth a Pile of GOLD. !

Disclaimer: My statement does not refer to Anyone, or Any Car living or Dead.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                              Bob,

Congratulations! I guess it just goes to show that no matter what direction we are pointed it doesn't mean that we can't change direction. I try never to say never, when it come to the old cars.
                              I also say never say never, and never say something is perfect as perfect is in the eyes of the beholder.
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X