Funny what goes wrong over the winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny what goes wrong over the winter

I pulled the Champ out today for the first time since mid-December. All was good when I put it away.
    I did my full checkout, fluids, brake pedal, lights, tires, etc. Knowing it had not been started is several months, I cranked a bit to get the oil pressure up, then gave it a blip of starter fluid to get it fired up, and it's all good so far.

The first thing I notice, is that the temp gauge is not working. Hmmm. Well the wire has popped off of the sender before, and since it is close to the distributor that I had been playing with I check... and yep I knocked it off again. Next, the overdrive is not working. It was fine in December, so some troubleshooting is in order. I'm betting on oil on contacts in either the solenoid or the governor, but we'll see. Finally, after nearly getting rear-ended, I find that the brake lights that passed in the garage had stopped working. Actually, they still work, but are taking a lot more pedal pressure than they should.

Oh boy, Spring projects!

Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Which reminds me, ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	does he bite2.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1885000
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

In the car business, at least in my lifetime, there is a well known term, ‘winter kill’. It refers to not only things that happen during winter storage, but things that happen anytime a car sits for awhile: rusty rotors and sticky calipers, bad batteries, seized alternators, etc.

Of course, there are other slang terms in the business like ‘handshaker’ and ‘toothache’, and okey-doked’, but ‘winter kill’ is the most common.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Hahahaha! Nailed it!
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
          In the car business, at least in my lifetime, there is a well known term, ‘winter kill’. It refers to not only things that happen during winter storage, but things that happen anytime a car sits for awhile: rusty rotors and sticky calipers, bad batteries, seized alternators, etc.

Of course, there are other slang terms in the business like ‘handshaker’ and ‘toothache’, and okey-doked’, but ‘winter kill’ is the most common.
          Yep, but the first time I've experienced winter kill. Then again, in our climate, it's the first time I've laid it up for this long. For whatever reason, Asheville decided to use a couple of years of salt over a few small snowfalls, so I just let it rest this winter, whereas for the last 30 years, I've been able to drive once a month
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post

Yep, but the first time I've experienced winter kill. Then again, in our climate, it's the first time I've laid it up for this long. For whatever reason, Asheville decided to use a couple of years of salt over a few small snowfalls, so I just let it rest this winter, whereas for the last 30 years, I've been able to drive once a month
            I have never experienced winter kill. How do you get a car ready for winter storage? Sounds silly but I am thinking of getting a summer place in Show Low Arizona and leave one of my cars there for the winter. Tucson, we just drive all year round. I would send May to October in Show Low. Anybody guess how the town got it's name?

Bob Miles

Comment

Two biggest causes of winter kill: dampness/condensation and excessive heat/sunlight. Other major cause: pests, mainly rodents.

My recommendations: NEVER store a car outside, but if you do, NEVER, EVER use any kind of car cover outdoors, no matter the company’s claims of suitability. Ideal protection situation: indoor, climate controlled, with a loose cotton cover like bedsheets, and all the rodent protection you can find; battery disconnected and on a battery tender.

A note on fuel additives: I never use them on a car stored less than 6 months. Never seen them do a thing. But if it makes one feel better there’s nothing wrong with it. Just fill the tank before storing.

Minimum: park indoors if at all possible. It’s always good insurance to disconnect battery rather than rely on 50 or 60 or more year old wiring to behave while you’re away. I do this daily on any 40s/50s/60s car that’s indoors overnight myself.

Others’ views may vary. I’m just posting from a lifetime of fighting/preventing winter kill, no matter the season.
              Last edited by Bob Andrews; 03-14-2021, 02:45 AM.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I upgraded all my hydraulic brake light switches to pedal activated plunger switches as used on modern vehicles. Easy to find the switches in any salvage yard and just pull the original wires in and connect. You can leave the old hyd. Switch in place and connect dummy wires to maintain appearance if that matters to you. No one will know the difference and great peace of mind!
                Last edited by David; 03-14-2021, 09:51 AM.
                sigpic
                '89 Ford Festiva
                '90 Ford F250 4x4
                '18 Kia Soul
                '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                  I upgraded all my hydraulic brake light switches to pedal activated plunger switches as used on modern vehicles. Easy to find the switches in any salvage yard and just pull the original wires in and connect. You can leave the old hyd. Switch in place and connect dummy wires to maintain appearance of that matters to you. No one will know the difference and great peace of mind!
                  That is one of today's projects, though I used a generic new switch from Advance Auto S237 I think, only $14
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post

I have never experienced winter kill. How do you get a car ready for winter storage? Sounds silly but I am thinking of getting a summer place in Show Low Arizona and leave one of my cars there for the winter. Tucson, we just drive all year round. I would send May to October in Show Low. Anybody guess how the town got it's name?

Bob Miles
                    My racing buddy lived in Show Low during the summer and left his truck there full time. He drove back and forth to Phoenix in his Vette. The truck (primarily used for back road fun, fishing/hunting) was stored in a garage for the winter and he'd take the battery home to Phoenix on his last trip of the year to keep it charged. That was the only auto prep he did. The house prep was more involved.

Until I moved from NW Ohio to AZ in '71, all my running cars were driven at least weekly, with the exception of the drag car. Had snow tires on the '64 GT during the winter, since the wife used it for work in bad weather. Regular use, cleaning, and maintenance worked for me, due to not having a garage until '68.

I know the Show Low question answer. (hint) It's directly connected to the name of the main street.

Comment

Originally posted by HOXXOH View Post

I know the Show Low question answer. (hint) It's directly connected to the name of the main street.
                      Deuce of Clubs. Town slogan: named by the turn of a card. Two ranchers had 100,000 acres spread each but still think they needed more room. Poker game came to settle, the winner would take over the other 100,000 acres and the loser would leave. Game came to a draw. "Show low and you win" The card was to deuce of clubs.

That is where I hope to spend summers if it all works out.

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                        I wonder if rodents got in there over the winter and started chewing on some of the wiring.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

I wonder if rodents got in there over the winter and started chewing on some of the wiring.

Craig
                          Nope, it's all fine now. The temp send wire got knocked off, the brake lights is the hydraulic switch, and the overdrive was a blown fuse. Don't know why it blew, thee wiring all looks good with no gnaw marks anywhere.

Ron Dame
                          '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                          X