62 Hawk GT - Narrow White Walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 Hawk GT - Narrow White Walls

I was hoping to install some Hankook H724s on my 62 Hawk but they may no longer be available here in Canada so I may be forced into a more expensive tire. The one I am considering can be ordered with any width of whitewall. Does anyone know what the width of the original narrow white wall tires was in 62? I might as well have something closer to authentic !

Kato....what's your second choice....Coker's or Diamond Backs? There were some Goodyear Broadway Classics in 15's with 1.125" ww for sale in Ontario but they were dated from 2000...that's 11 years old, not a good idea.
    I like Diamond backs...have them on my 53
    White Wall Tires & Custom Vintage Tires - Diamond Back Classic Tires : (dbtires.com)
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Not sure about ‘62, but the original Firestone 6.50 15 spare in my ‘64 Cruiser is exactly 1”.

Comment

Last time I bought a outdated tire it shredded on me within 500 miles. Never again.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Billy View Post
          Kato....what's your second choice....Coker's or Diamond Backs? There were some Goodyear Broadway Classics in 15's with 1.125" ww for sale in Ontario but they were dated from 2000...that's 11 years old, not a good idea.
          I like Diamond backs...have them on my 53
          White Wall Tires & Custom Vintage Tires - Diamond Back Classic Tires : (dbtires.com)
          Diamond Backs, are they good tires? They are about twice the price of the Hankook H724s but undoubtedly a better tire. I agree buying out of date tires is not a good idea. The Michelin's that were on the car were 17 years old and looked like new but I replaced them anyway. I have two sets of rims, spoke and steel with correct hub caps for a more authentic look, so I want good tires on both sets.

Comment

Originally posted by 64V19816 View Post
            Not sure about ‘62, but the original Firestone 6.50 15 spare in my ‘64 Cruiser is exactly 1”.
            That's about what I figured. I don't think I'd want any less than 1 inch.

Comment

Kevin

I got mine here. They deliver too.

Comment

This is a good (Canadian) site too

Discounted tires ! Affordable tires online Quattro tires has the largest inventory of winter and summer tire in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by 4NStudy View Post
                  Kevin

I got mine here. They deliver too.

https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Hank...o+H724/1014229
                  Hey thanks, I'll give them a call. All the dealers up Barrie way say they can't get them right now or maybe never!

Comment

Originally posted by Kato View Post
                    I was hoping to install some Hankook H724s on my 62 Hawk but they may no longer be available here in Canada so I may be forced into a more expensive tire. The one I am considering can be ordered with any width of whitewall. Does anyone know what the width of the original narrow white wall tires was in 62? I might as well have something closer to authentic !
                    Didn't the '62 Hawk (& other '62 Studes) come with wide white walls? I don't recall seeing them with narrow white walls back in 1962. The Studebaker books show them with wide white walls, although they are not as wide as earlier (1950's) white walls. By wide white walls I mean white that goes all the way to the rim.
                    -Dwight

Comment

Last edited by mbstude; 02-27-2021, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post

Didn't the '62 Hawk (& other '62 Studes) come with wide white walls? I don't recall seeing them with narrow white walls back in 1962. The Studebaker books show them with wide white walls, although they are not as wide as earlier (1950's) white walls. By wide white walls I mean white that goes all the way to the rim.
                        -Dwight
                        Pretty sure for 62 Hawks you had a choice of wide whites or narrow whites. In 63 it was narrow only or at least this is what I recall reading somewhere. I could be entirely wrong of course, I am certainly no expert!

Comment

Last edited by mbstude; 02-27-2021, 12:56 PM.

Comment

No Narrow White walls were available on Studebakers until 1963.
                            Also believe it or not, the Early US Royal and Firestones were at the Wheel Rim, no Black Stripe in between! Very short lived and not that great looking.

As far as I know, there is No Law that says you can't run the better looking (Cheaper) 1963 Narrow White Walls, unless you prefer the 1962 Look.

https://us.coopertire.com/tires/trendsetter-se

The Last US Tire Co. if you care.
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 02-11-2021, 05:30 PM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Agreed - I knew the narrow “vogue” was around 62-63, but I would never contemplate anything other than narrow ww bias tires on these trucks.

Coker makes great tough tires, they’ve never let me down, nor my ‘64 C-10 that wore them as well...

Comment

Working...
                              X