Avanti II Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti II Question

Does anybody remember an early '66 Avanti II that was painted white but had black painted "scallops" on the roof over the side windows? I rode in that car as a high school senior when Nate Altman let us use it for a traffic safety promotion at St. Joseph's High School in South Bend in May of 1966. I have always wondered if it was a prototype or an early production model. With that unusual paint scheme, it sure was distinctive.

Ours is a white 66 but not the car you are referring to. Ours was delivered in August or September of 66 but it was a production car.
    james r pepper

Comment

Avanti Motors built 5 or 6 1965 Avanti II's. I suppose those would have been considered their prototypes. Those 1965 Avanti II's were sold to the public. 1966 might be considered regular production models.
      -Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
        Avanti Motors built 5 or 6 1965 Avanti II's. I suppose those would have been considered their prototypes. Those 1965 Avanti II's were sold to the public. 1966 might be considered regular production models.
        -Dwight
        I believe that there were 56 1965 Avanti IIs.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have known of a few Avantis with the "scallops" painted a contrasting color. I do not know of any being original production that way.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

I believe that there were 56 1965 Avanti IIs.
            Ok, I had the two numbers correct; They just needed to be connected.
            -Dwight

Comment

Working...
            X