Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone buy a Classic Car Stereo brand radio.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone buy a Classic Car Stereo brand radio.

Hello. My wife and I are thinking about ordering a retro looking push button radio for our 1963 Studebaker Lark 4 door Sedan. The original buyer did not choose a radio option.

Has anyone have any experience with this company "Classic Car Stereo" out of Oceanside, California? Feedback would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Trueblue1225; 01-23-2021, 04:21 PM.

Yes, and this has been covered several times in the Forum. I purchased the USA-630 because of the ability to control the optional CD player. Radio has many features and CD player is about the size of a CD jewel case and has no controls, being totally controlled by the radio. Cool! Radio fits my '63 Champ perfectly. However, knobs and buttons are chrome plated plastic and have a very cheap toy like feel. But I probably wouldn't purchase it again because in my opinion the sound is TERRIBLE.

Comment

i don't like the display choice of color, they could have muted a little instead of bright blueish light, the PO put is smallish speakers, so idk, how good speakers with big magnets would sound, and i am not cutting up the lark to do that, beside, it's fun enough with just a little news and squeaking music with no bass

the sounds of the 289, dual cherry bombs, limited insulation vintage car feel, is plenty entertainment

besides, if you don't want to cut up the dash, you have no choice, i've had portable single speaker mono radio shack sound better

Click image for larger version  Name:	inside my lark.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.5 KB ID:	1876647

Comment

The old rule of thumb is that 60-70% of the sound quality comes from the size, quality, and installation of the speakers. Use the biggest ones you can fit and the best quality. I have been having good luck with Alpine brand lately.

Sometimes on eBay you can find speaker adapters. I used one to put a bigger speaker in the dash of my 60 Lark.

You can go to a car stereo store, listen to different speakers and pick the ones you like best.

Be careful, because the ones that sound the loudest will automatically sound better, so listen to all of them at the same perceived volume level.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I bought a NOS AM radio and speaker for my ‘66 and am truly delighted with it. Of course having WMID Atlantic City close by, a fantastic Oldies station, is a huge help! Overall though the sound quality of this radio beats the one in my Wife’s JCW Mini. (As an aside, I DID actually SEE a black knob 66 AM FM recently!).

Comment

I have their Secret Audio system in my '61 Champ. The unit is bolted to the bulkhead behind the seat and the wires run to the head unit under the dash. I use the remote control to operate it and my music is all on USB thumb drives that plug into the unit via a cable that resides just under the seat where I can get to it easily. There is also a cable that plugs into an Apple device. I forget what they are called. The speakers are mounted behind the seat on the floor. I really like it. The sound is great and it did not replace the radio delete so it looks like there is nothing there. I would gladly recommend their products.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I think I will explore other options for now for my 1963 lark.

Leaning towards finding a push button AM / FM radio made in 60s, 70s or 80s with transistors that would fit. My car is a weekly driver not a show car.

Comment

Originally posted by Trueblue1225 View Post
                Thank you everyone for the feedback. I think I will explore other options for now for my 1963 lark.

Leaning towards finding a push button AM / FM radio made in 60s, 70s or 80s with transistors that would fit. My car is a weekly driver not a show car.
                In case you're interested: I have a Sanyo FT-V86 brand new in the box. It's an early 1980s aftermarket AM/FM cassette that has adjustable knob shafts that will fit all Larks. I had one in a 60 Lark (since sold), and still have one in an Avanti and an El Camino and they fit fine. This is not a high-end stereo -- it's roughly equivalent to OEM quality. I bought 4 or 5 of them from John Poulos (GoldenHawk here) when he sold his stereo store about 30 years ago. This is the last one I have.

If you want to go higher end, check ebay periodically. These things show up there all the time -- often brand new. The key item to look at is whether they have adjustable knob shafts to fit a variety of vehicles.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Trueblue1225 View Post

Trueblue1225, please see a PM (link at top right of this page).
                  Bill Jarvis

Comment

I have an original AM radio for your car if interested.

Comment

Hi Tim. I actually have. a Studebaker AM radio without push buttons. In my area near Detroit, almost all oldies and sports channels are FM

I guess I am going to look at other options like a hidden radio with remote control.

Thank you for your offer and response.

Comment

You can also do a conversion on the am radio without altering fit and appearance except for cosmetics. 4 x 45 watts stereo w/ aux am fm., Added features : hands free bluetooth and USB with HD if wanted. Contact me for pricing and additional information.

Bill

Comment

Hey Bill. Welcome to the forum! Now there are three of us here, you, me, and Bud who do radios.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                            Hey Bill. Welcome to the forum! Now there are three of us here, you, me, and Bud who do radios.
                            How can I contact you? PM messaging wouldn't work. I'd like to have my original 58 Hawk radio (AC-2906) restored and converted to AM/FM. What's the estimated cost and time frame to have that done?

Comment

Originally posted by riffraff54 View Post

How can I contact you? PM messaging wouldn't work. I'd like to have my original 58 Hawk radio (AC-2906) restored and converted to AM/FM. What's the estimated cost and time frame to have that done?
                              My email is in my profile. I do all my quotes via email. Please use "58 Hawk radio" in the subject line. You don't know how many emails I get with the subject merely "radio." It makes sense to the sender, but is hard for me to sort out.

Comment

Working...
                              X