Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else get a suspicious email from Denny Foust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else get a suspicious email from Denny Foust?

I just got a strange email supposedly from Denny Foust.... It says he's out of the state, and asked me to buy some gift cards to benefit a Covid-19 charity and he would reimburse me later.... Sound fake as hell?
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Yeah, that's a scam for sure.

Comment

Don't expect Denny to mix any outside causes, righteous or not, with his responsibilities to SDC and its members.
      He keeps those things personal.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

As Treasurer for our local chapter I get those about once a month......they come in our chapter President's name.
        Lou Van Anne
        62 Champ
        64 R2 GT Hawk
        79 Avanti II

Comment

It had his correct email addy, but also said he would have called me but he didn't have access to his phone right now. I figured it for foolishness, but posted just in case someone else had gotten it.
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The Scam emails I have gotten from other "Friends" always get the name on the email address wrong, Capitals or not etc. NOT how the person does it.
            If the Title is misspelled or not something they would say, it's a sure sign of a Foreign Scammer.

Also, you can put your Cursor over the Name on the email, and usually it will show the Real senders Fake address, not what the Faked visible one says.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

These are absolutely false - please don't ever fall for one of these. Anyone asking you for gift cards for any reason is a sleazeball spammer.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Chris, Denny's address was incorrect as the IP part was wrong. I have received many of these in the past from others and the first thing I do is check the ip part of the senders address. This is a common SPAM message received by many virtually daily. By the way thank you for being willing to return as the Kansas RM for another two years.
                sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The funny thing about the "reasoning behind these spam attempts"...as if being out of your state would prevent anyone from buying a gift card.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    The funny thing about the "reasoning behind these spam attempts"...as if being out of your state would prevent anyone from buying a gift card.
                    Yeah. They don't sell them in the Antarctic.
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                      It had his correct email addy, but also said he would have called me but he didn't have access to his phone right now. I figured it for foolishness, but posted just in case someone else had gotten it.
                      Its very easy to "spoof" an email address, and make it seem like its coming from someone you know. The same holds true for banks and other financial institutions. As a result, I never click on links in emails I receive (such as "your bank has a message for you, click to login"). I always type in the website url manually and then go to see what they want to make sure its legitimate.

Comment

Working...
                      X